REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 02-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Suggestions for good road trips in the USA?

Hey guys,

Just looking for some recommendations of day trips and 2 day trips for biking through the USA. Thinking of doing a couple 1-2 day trips on my bike this summer and just looking for some suggestions of what trips you guys really enjoyed.
Advertisement
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

Nobody does any road trips in Washington or Cali on these boards?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
oregon coast is pretty hard to beat
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Few of us do a lot of Cascades (Winthrop) and Mt. Baker. Once they're cleared they're both awesome runs. Winthrop is like a eight hour S2S run with a good mix of everything. Mt. Baker is very technical and gets good once they clean it up but before then its not very rideable. Second half of season kind of thing.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renthal View Post
oregon coast is pretty hard to beat
Any route specifically? Is this a day trip or several days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
Few of us do a lot of Cascades (Winthrop) and Mt. Baker. Once they're cleared they're both awesome runs. Winthrop is like a eight hour S2S run with a good mix of everything. Mt. Baker is very technical and gets good once they clean it up but before then its not very rideable. Second half of season kind of thing.
Glad you chimed in. I heard some great things about riding up to mount baker but had no clue to steer clear until later in the season.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Glad you chimed in. I heard some great things about riding up to mount baker but had no clue to steer clear until later in the season.
There's a ton of overgrowth, sand, debris, tar snakes, etc. Makes for a pretty treacherous ride. Can't see around corners and the big patches of sand will pull you off the road if you touch them. We made the mistake twice and had some close calls. After mid July or something once they clean it up and trim the bushes it gets reallly good. If you haven't done it yet go with a friend, pay attention to the signs and follow or go under the recommended speeds. There are changes in camber and reduced radius corners. Once you get to know the road its fun.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Looking forward to hitting it up this year.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Leavenworths always a nice drive. Take the #2 I think its called through Monroe.

Not sure if you can make it to Cali in two days but the I-5 is also a nice drive and go through Oregon Coast as mentioned above and California Coast

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
The I5 to cali is a shitty drive, but it's the most direct route and goes through lots of large population centers. You'll always have access to gas and a Wal Mart, but you're also going to deal with traffic through Seattle, Portland, and North Cali. Like renthal mentioned, the Oregon coast is really nice.

The good thing is that once you get to San Francisco you can jump on the PCS all the way to San Diego and enjoy more coastline.

Again, traffic is Cali is terrible. It's hard to get anywhere at certain times of the day. But it's a nice trip to take. Definately not a two day trip though. Imho, if you're looking for a nice few days away from people, look into eastern WA.

The 410 through Mt Rainier park is an amazing drive. I did it with a bunch of tuner cars back in the day, and we had a great time. That will get you to Yakima. Basically head south and cycle back through Portland, then the I5 to return.

That's a nice trip if the weather is working in your favor.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote