REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   21 y/o UBC resident in Car2Go killed in Vancouver's 2nd fatal crash of 2018 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714401-21-y-o-ubc-resident-car2go-killed-vancouvers-2nd-fatal-crash-2018-a.html)

AstulzerRZD 03-04-2018 06:17 PM

21 y/o UBC resident in Car2Go killed in Vancouver's 2nd fatal crash of 2018

21-year-old UBC resident killed in Vancouver's 2nd fatal crash of 2018 - British Columbia - CBC News

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4561511.152016298...over-crash.jpg

Quote:

A 21-year-old man is dead after a rollover crash near the University of British Columbia on Sunday morning.

The crash happened on West 16th Avenue near Discovery Street around 1 a.m., near the entrance to Pacific Spirit Park.

First responders found the man trapped in a car-share vehicle that had flipped onto its roof.

Fire crews were able to free him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Vancouver Police Department had West 16th Avenue shut down for several hours overnight as investigators examined the crash. Police say speed may have been a factor.

VPD said this is Vancouver's second fatal crash of 2018.

Car2Go confirmed one of its Mercedes Benz vehicles was involved in the crash. The car-sharing service last year added four-door luxury sedans to its Vancouver fleet.

Spokesman Michael Silverman said the company is cooperating with police as it determines the cause of the crash.

"We are aware of and very saddened by the unfortunate incident that occurred overnight," he said in an email.

DavidNguyen 03-04-2018 06:35 PM

Sad to lose a life. Hope they weren't Impaired or texting

RIP

Teriyaki 03-04-2018 06:59 PM

That must've been a ridiculous amount of speed. RIP

Hondaracer 03-04-2018 07:27 PM

Those CLA’s are such peices of garbage.

If someone hopped in and started driving it like it’s some kind of sports car instead of a corolla would be pretty easy to lose control/crash

twitchyzero 03-04-2018 09:05 PM

Saturday night
freezing temps
car unrecognizable after a crash
motor found 20ft or 30m away from the car, according to the article on The Province
dui and speed me thinks...glad they do routine roadside checks on W. 16th

belka 03-04-2018 09:09 PM

Those things have winter tires?

Mr.Money 03-04-2018 09:11 PM

below temperatures with frost on the ground on all season tires or what?..

Qmx323 03-04-2018 09:31 PM

As we are mostly car guys here on this forum - we know the non-AMG CLA is not meant to be a drag racer.

Should car-shares *really* have anything in their fleet that even closely resembles a "performance" car or "fast" car?

Perhaps this guy doesn't fit into what I'm about to list out, but hear me out.

1) Probably have limited driving experience, thus are not able to judge how they should drive according to conditions.
2) Probably don't drive regularly. (aka "Sunday Drivers")
3) Probably not aware of how to handle this 200 HP FWD beast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by belka (Post 8891695)

I highly doubt it, the AS tires on this one might even have been toast. There are two types of people in this world when they drive cars that don't belong to them. I don't think I need to go into detail on this one.

I'm really not sure why Car2Go decided on adding CLA's to their fleet, maybe because Car2Go is owned by Daimler AG, but I really REALLY hope they reassess what kind of cars they want to let their users drive. As unfortunate as this accident was, and by all means RIP to a young person, it could have involved someone else.

jing 03-04-2018 09:40 PM

I was at UBC a few weeks back sitting in my work van waiting in one of the parking lots behind the hospital where there are a number of car share vehicles when I looked up and saw a white CLA car 2 go ripping it through the lot, easily 60km+, well above what anyone with half a brain would consider as a safe speed for the environment. The fob dude driving the car nearly clipped a couple walking through the lot. Obviously the dude that almost got ran over was pissed off so he confronted the driver and I could hear from a distance the conversation and I wouldn't have been surprised if the driver got shit kicked by the angry dude. Maybe this is the same driver, who knows, but I would've guesstimated him to be about 21yo.

clevernickname 03-04-2018 10:41 PM

So literally a day or two before this crash, I saw a gla250 going literally at least 200km/h on ubc highway towards UBC. I thought it had an n sticker but can't remember. I wonder if its the same guy (white guy). I've driven at night the last few days, I don't recall losing traction anywhere with summer tires on a rwd car...

I think all the cla250s in car2go are 4matic too? Probably just a dumb driver going way too fast.

freakshow 03-04-2018 10:54 PM

maybe the picture makes it look worse than it is.. but i'm struggling to see how excessive speeding would not have been the main factor.
Even if you have 'limited driving experience', you may get into an accident, but you wouldn't be able to roll your car like that unless you were driving like an idiot

Akinari 03-04-2018 11:18 PM

For a novice driver who has never experienced driving anything but an econobox with no more than 150hp, driving a CLA250 at high speeds could potentially be catastrophic. It's not a slow vehicle by any means.

xjc11 03-05-2018 12:17 AM

TypeRNammer 03-05-2018 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmx323 (Post 8891702)
3) Probably not aware of how to handle this 200 HP FWD beast.

I believe the CLA in the car2go fleet is 4matic.

And it's not something that the not so average joe should be ripping it around especially in the lower mainland.

258lb of torque, peaking just below 2000rpm. It only takes about 6 seconds to get up to 100kmh. It's just asking to be wrapped around the tree.

Hondaracer 03-05-2018 06:06 AM

Car2go having a shitty wanna-be luxury car in their fleet isn’t the issue here imo.

Someone willing to drive a car like this probably would do the same in the FourTwo.

AstulzerRZD 03-05-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belka (Post 8891695)

They're on A/S - ContiProContact if I remember correctly.

Badhobz 03-05-2018 06:24 AM

this kid sounds like an auto enthusiast. Its unfortunate he died. Kids these days dont like cars anymore, hence the popularity of these ride share companies. It's not like cars gotten more expensive if anything they are cheaper and safer than 20 years ago.

When i was his age i was still driving around a shitty ass nissan sentra that only had 120hp and negligible torque. I tried some crazy ass shit too with that family sedan but thankfully nothing happened.

underscore 03-05-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8891740)
Car2go having a shitty wanna-be luxury car in their fleet isn’t the issue here imo.

Someone willing to drive a car like this probably would do the same in the FourTwo.

They probably wouldn't be able to get up enough speed before crashing to launch the engine 20ft though.

Hondaracer 03-05-2018 08:07 AM

Same could be said about the Evo cars Prius.

These vehicle sharing services might as well use padded scooters if people can’t handle a 200hp econo box.

Digitalis 03-05-2018 08:29 AM

Modo has automatic FRS.

Hehe 03-05-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8891742)
this kid sounds like an auto enthusiast. Its unfortunate he died. Kids these days dont like cars anymore, hence the popularity of these ride share companies. It's not like cars gotten more expensive if anything they are cheaper and safer than 20 years ago.

When i was his age i was still driving around a shitty ass nissan sentra that only had 120hp and negligible torque. I tried some crazy ass shit too with that family sedan but thankfully nothing happened.

I second this sentiment.

When I was talking with my nephew (oldest actually... in his early 20s) and his friends about cars this past weekend when they came over for a visit/trip, it seems that for them, car is just something to get from point A to B and nothing to be excited about.

Yes, it's just a 3 person opinion, but the sentiment is shocking to me. Back when I was in their age, we could talk cars for hours and spend crazy amount of time on our rides.

For them now it's Uber or rental... none of the 3 have any plan to buy a car in the foreseeable future.

IMO Uber/car sharing has killed the car enthusiasm as we know it. Volvo is taking the lead on car subscription (more like a fully packaged lease really). I think the next wave for cars is the stand-less bike sharing as soon as someone figures out how to deal with the issue of parking... there would be cars here and there that one can just rent with their smartphones.

And for this, I curse Ferrari to have their days counted!! Yes, for not letting me buy a Pista. :fuckthatshit:

Euro7r 03-05-2018 09:10 AM

Anyone that drives these car sharing vehicles cannot drive. So many idiots either driving way too fast or disobey the traffic regulations.

ZN6 03-05-2018 09:20 AM

I've yet to see one car2go driver that didn't drive without undue care weaving through traffic and running late yellows/reds.

Those smart cars tip over like cows.

Hondaracer 03-05-2018 10:09 AM

As kinda mentioned here.. most people who use these services seemingly do not own a car, may have never owned a car, so the respect of ownership is somthing they dont know. I frequently use these services and find vehicles full of garbage, left over belonginings etc.

In terms of driving with undue care, the FourTwo's at least actually have a warning to "adjust your driving style" if you are aceelerating too quickly or braking too hard lol

UnknownJinX 03-05-2018 10:53 AM

First of all, RIP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD (Post 8891741)
They're on A/S - ContiProContact if I remember correctly.

Last time I checked Modo website, they said they use winter tires in winter. Not sure about Car2Go, but it's bullshit they just put cheapie all-season tires on cars. Combine that and an inexperienced/infrequent driver and you have a recipe for disaster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8891756)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8891742)

I second this sentiment.

When I was talking with my nephew (oldest actually... in his early 20s) and his friends about cars this past weekend when they came over for a visit/trip, it seems that for them, car is just something to get from point A to B and nothing to be excited about.

Yes, it's just a 3 person opinion, but the sentiment is shocking to me. Back when I was in their age, we could talk cars for hours and spend crazy amount of time on our rides.

For them now it's Uber or rental... none of the 3 have any plan to buy a car in the foreseeable future.

IMO Uber/car sharing has killed the car enthusiasm as we know it. Volvo is taking the lead on car subscription (more like a fully packaged lease really). I think the next wave for cars is the stand-less bike sharing as soon as someone figures out how to deal with the issue of parking... there would be cars here and there that one can just rent with their smartphones.

And for this, I curse Ferrari to have their days counted!! Yes, for not letting me buy a Pista. :fuckthatshit:

It depends on who you hang out with. I have friends who are into cars. Just this weekend, we saw a classic retrofitted Corvette on the road and we got super excited about it. We later worked on my roommate's old Volvo 940. Tried to replace all the burnt out bulbs and fix the trans.

That said, in no way I promote dangerous driving that would result in whatever happened in the article. If the condition allows, you bet I will rev to 9k, but if I am experiencing heavy rain, I am not gonna be stupid. Excessive speeding is also no-no. Tickets are not the best way to spend money.

BTW, bike-renting is already a thing in China.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalis (Post 8891755)
Modo has automatic FRS.

FR-S is not that fast though. Not that torquey, either.

Most car rental services in North America have AT cars only. Too much risk with MT cars.