REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #76
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
They always give me shit or ask me weird questions, "This is YOUR car??" or "You came down to Blaine, to JUST get gas?". They don't seem to believe that gas is stupid expensive for a car that takes 91.
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #77
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Spoiler!

The new Leaf is awesome!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #78
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
I must be in the minority, but I'd rather save time than a few dollars. I get it if your time isn't worth anything though and you like the drive, then the trip makes sense.

(I unfortunately can't even make that choice since I don't live in the lower mainland anymore, just saying)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #79
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Meanwhile, people are paying $5-6 for a bubble tea with pearls or a frappe from starbucks.

Chill out. Don't buy a frappe or a bubble tea for a day or two. It'll help your wallet and your waistline and the increase in gas cost woes.

Surprised people aren't outraged by coca-cola costing $2.50 for 500ml bottle instead of 591ml; pay the same get 15% less. or the fact that coke was 5 cents a bottle back in the day.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #80
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
*meh, i live 15mins from Blaine...this article doesnt' relate to me.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2...in-bellingham/

Here’s the math on why you should (or shouldn’t) drive to Bellingham for gas

Yesterday we shared the NEWS that gas prices broke the $1.50/litre mark in Vancouver, giving us the distinction of having the most expensive gas in all of North America.

Nobody likes to pay more for anything, especially in the housing crunch we’re in right now where the City is TELLING US that they consider $1,750 to be “affordable” rent for a one bedroom apartment.

It’s an age-old tradition for people in the Lower Mainland to travel to Blaine and Bellingham, just across the border, to fill up on “cheap” gas. As long as that’s been going there have been people saying that you’ll burn more gas getting there and back than you’ll end up saving.

That’s not true.

According to GasBuddy.com, the lowest gas price in Bellingham today is $2.71USD/gallon. Let’s call the average $2.80USD to be fair.

That amounts to $3.63 in Canadian currency per gallon, or 96 cents per litre. That’s 54 Canadian cents per litre less than what gas costs in Vancouver.

If you’ve got a 50 litre tank like I have, you’d save $27 Canadian dollars filling it up at a Bellingham pump.

However if your vehicle gets 10l/100km gas mileage it’ll cost you $14.78 Canadian to drive the 154km from downtown Vancouver to the Arco at 1197 Slater Rd in Bellingham, and back. In the end you’ll wind up saving a grand total of $12.22.

As I type this, Google Maps is telling me it would take 1 hour and 9 minutes to drive to that Bellingham Arco. That’s not counting the minimum half hour wait at the border. So let’s say you drove there, fuelled up, then immediately turned around and drove back. Let’s call it three hours.

How much is your time worth? More than $4.07 per hour? If not, head to Bellingham for “cheap” gas.

Or better yet, make a day trip down there. Head to the mall, drive the coastline and check out the antique shops, stop at Trader Joe’s, and as a byproduct of a fun road trip you can stop for gas and get a price break. A straight shot there and back might not be worth it, but an adventure could be.
Very true as I've done roughly the same calculations a while back for my thirsty Jeep SRT (16.7L/100km). I would also like to point out other realistic expenses such as the depreciation of the mileage it takes to get there and back as well as the maintenance/consumables of just making that trip. Well before I've been able to take account for the time spent and the cost/hour of my life, I'm already deeply in the red. Mind you, I was saving about $40-50cad/tank and it still wasn't anywhere near worth it. After doing all the math, I felt a lot more comfortable just pulling up to any chevron near me and filling up 91 or 94 at about $140+/tank whenever I needed gas.

Timing is a bitch too. There is never a direct correlation of needing gas (maximizing the fill up) and having the perfect timing of heading down for gas. Of course, if you live close enough then its a no brainer or if you're there for some other reasons such as picking up stuff.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #81
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Meanwhile, people are paying $5-6 for a bubble tea with pearls or a frappe from starbucks.

Chill out. Don't buy a frappe or a bubble tea for a day or two. It'll help your wallet and your waistline and the increase in gas cost woes.

Surprised people aren't outraged by coca-cola costing $2.50 for 500ml bottle instead of 591ml; pay the same get 15% less. or the fact that coke was 5 cents a bottle back in the day.
fuel is deemed an essential expense by the majority
bubble tea/pop on the daily is a lot rarer and you have bigger problems than a thin wallet if you're consuming that much
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #82
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
fuel is deemed an essential expense by the majority
bubble tea/pop on the daily is a lot rarer and you have bigger problems than a thin wallet if you're consuming that much
The point was that people can part ways with their money on such frivolous non-essential items. There are ways for people to budget around gas increases with small changes in life style.

Can't control gas prices, but you can control your own spending.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #83
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:

Sorry but that's a horrible comparison, apples to oranges

you are forgetting that there are no substitute for gasoline, vs a million other options for drinks
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #84
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
The point was that people can part ways with their money on such frivolous non-essential items. There are ways for people to budget around gas increases with small changes in life style.

Can't control gas prices, but you can control your own spending.
I know what you're saying, but at the same time, there are lots of people who are already running on their bare minimum essentials.

Life is not easy in a city where the living wage is $20.62/hr. And the continual high gas prices doesn't help make it any easier.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #85

"5 cents a bottle back in the day"

yeah that is true but back in the day gas was that cheap in what the 1940s? everything was cheaper back then not sure how this makes sense....
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #86
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
Sorry but that's a horrible comparison, apples to oranges

you are forgetting that there are no substitute for gasoline, vs a million other options for drinks
His point was to not drink at all, not pick and choose. I guess same applies to other vices like smoking. I would rather cut out a treat or two than drive down to Blaine for gas, for example.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #87

but you're still supporting the retarded carbon taxes, that's the problem that I have with pumping locally

the people feeling the most crunch from soon to be $1.60+/L are not those who eat out several times a week, but families that may have to consider transit soon even if they live out of the way and the service is far from ideal in the burbs
Old 04-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #88

chances are they're driving some 20 year-old vehicle that isn't as fuel efficient as your shiny new Lexus/Elantra/4 series
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #89
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Yeah then i agree, its certainly not a solution, just a compromise.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #90

if you live close to grocery store/drinking place
you can just take a walk to shop/drink
instead using the car
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #91
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
but you're still supporting the retarded carbon taxes, that's the problem that I have with pumping locally

the people feeling the most crunch from soon to be $1.60+/L are not those who eat out several times a week, but families that may have to consider transit soon even if they live out of the way and the service is far from ideal in the burbs
Carbon tax is:
1) Not retarded
2) 7.78 cents/litre
3) Only responsible for a small percentage of fuel price increases over the past decade

When Gordon Campbell's Liberals introduced the carbon tax in the mid-2000s, it was a revenue neutral tax meaning it didn't increase the tax revenue to the government. The tax revenue generated from the carbon tax went to low-income personal tax credits and a lower corporate tax rate.

Now, the NDP government has scrapped those in favour of funding "green" projects instead. Whether you prefer the former or the latter (or neither), either way, it's not going to general revenue like most of the other taxes.

Carbon tax, when introduced in 2008, was 4.44 cents/litre and has gone up a whopping 3.34 cents/litre over the past decade. Meanwhile, gas prices have risen from 104 cents/litre in 2009 to 154 cents/litre.

Your breakdown of taxes on gasoline in Metro Vancouver are:

TransLink - 17 cents/litre
Federal Excise Tax - 10 cents/litre (4 cents/litre on diesel)
Carbon Tax - 7.78 cents/litre (8.95 cents/litre on diesel)
BC Transportation Financing Authority - 6.75 cents/litre
Provincial Motor Fuel Tax - 1.75 cents/litre (2.25 cents/litre on diesel)

Sub-total: 43.28 cents/litre (gasoline)/38.95 cents/litre (diesel)

Plus 5% GST (which is also applied to the taxes above; isn't the federal government great?)

According to Kent Group Limited, the average retail price of gasoline, excluding taxes, in Vancouver so far for April 2018 is 103 cents/litre

So base price of 103 + 43.28 + 5% GST (7.31 cents/litre) = 153.6 cents/litre
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #92
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I must be in the minority, but I'd rather save time than a few dollars. I get it if your time isn't worth anything though and you like the drive, then the trip makes sense.

(I unfortunately can't even make that choice since I don't live in the lower mainland anymore, just saying)
I save $50 every time I fill up there. It's like paying myself $50 to drive for an hour. I'll take that.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Carbon tax is:
1) Not retarded
2) 7.78 cents/litre
3) Only responsible for a small percentage of fuel price increases over the past decade

When Gordon Campbell's Liberals introduced the carbon tax in the mid-2000s, it was a revenue neutral tax meaning it didn't increase the tax revenue to the government. The tax revenue generated from the carbon tax went to low-income personal tax credits and a lower corporate tax rate.

Now, the NDP government has scrapped those in favour of funding "green" projects instead. Whether you prefer the former or the latter (or neither), either way, it's not going to general revenue like most of the other taxes.

Carbon tax, when introduced in 2008, was 4.44 cents/litre and has gone up a whopping 3.34 cents/litre over the past decade. Meanwhile, gas prices have risen from 104 cents/litre in 2009 to 154 cents/litre.

Your breakdown of taxes on gasoline in Metro Vancouver are:

Plus 5% GST (which is also applied to the taxes above; isn't the federal government great?)

According to Kent Group Limited, the average retail price of gasoline, excluding taxes, in Vancouver so far for April 2018 is 103 cents/litre

when I said carbon taxes I guess my semantics was way off

anyways the fact that we have 42% premium BEFORE GST is already fucking nuts...if you're gonna charge us Nordic/Scandinavian rates, should the college students get paid to go to school like over there?

why are green initiatives/low-income credits only assessed for GVR residents?

does every other province get hit 10% by the Feds and also have 6% going to the 'financing authority'?

don't forget we haven't even touched the winter/summer blend portion of the equation yet

ytd I also learned that very little of GVRD gas is refined in WA state (I was misinformed to think it was the majority), 50-60% from refined from Edmonton while most of the rest from the local Parkland site

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-13-2018 at 11:04 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2018, 05:10 AM   #94
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
Very true as I've done roughly the same calculations a while back for my thirsty Jeep SRT (16.7L/100km). I would also like to point out other realistic expenses such as the depreciation of the mileage it takes to get there and back as well as the maintenance/consumables of just making that trip. Well before I've been able to take account for the time spent and the cost/hour of my life, I'm already deeply in the red. Mind you, I was saving about $40-50cad/tank and it still wasn't anywhere near worth it. After doing all the math, I felt a lot more comfortable just pulling up to any chevron near me and filling up 91 or 94 at about $140+/tank whenever I needed gas.

Timing is a bitch too. There is never a direct correlation of needing gas (maximizing the fill up) and having the perfect timing of heading down for gas. Of course, if you live close enough then its a no brainer or if you're there for some other reasons such as picking up stuff.
eeeh..these math always failed to consider how our 91 is always incrementally more than the 91 in the states or any other canadian provinces. i remember it's very easy to know how much premium is in Nova Scotia because you just add 3 cents per grade to their advertised price. But not here in BC. Anyway, my point being, people who use 91 gas tend to save more than the calculated math most article/people use. Plus....who goes to blaine just for gas in vancouver? Head out to Point Roberts, trip takes like an hour only from richmond
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #95

if most of the taxes at the pump went to funding for alternative infrastructures like charging stations etc. I wouldn't think it's retarded
Old 04-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #96
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
when I said carbon taxes I guess my semantics was way off

anyways the fact that we have 42% premium BEFORE GST is already fucking nuts...if you're gonna charge us Nordic/Scandinavian rates, should the college students get paid to go to school like over there?

why are green initiatives/low-income credits only assessed for GVR residents?
Carbon tax is charged on all fossil fuels in the province (gasoline, diesel, heating oil, natural gas, etc.), not just the Greater Vancouver Region.

Quote:

Victoria fuel tax breaks down as (assuming same retail price before taxes):

Provincial Motor Fuel Tax - 7.75 cents/litre (8.25 cents/litre on diesel)
BC Transportation Fuel Authority - 6.75 cents/litre
BC Transit Authority - 5.5 cents/litre

Sub-total: 37.78 cents/litre (gasoline)/33.45 cents/litre (diesel)

Plus 5% GST

Total: 103 + 37.78 + 5% GST (7.04 cents/litre) = 147.8 cents/litre

The rest of the province breaks down as (assuming same retail price before taxes):

Provincial Motor Fuel Tax - 7.75 cents/litre (8.25 cents/litre on diesel)
BC Transportation Fuel Authority - 6.75 cents/litre

Sub-total: 32.28 cents/litre (gasoline)/27.95 cents/litre (diesel)

Plus 5% GST

Total: 103 + 32.28 + 5% GST (6.76 cents/litre) = 142.0 cents/litre

Quote:
does every other province get hit 10% by the Feds and also have 6% going to the 'financing authority'?
Every province is subject to the 10% Federal Excise Tax on fuel. Individual provinces have their own tax structures for fuel.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #97
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Fyi, D street Shell was closed today when I went down.

Ended up going to H street, which was more expensive

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #98
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
https://globalnews.ca/news/4174219/l...edium=Facebook

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #99

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Worst part about all this is, once all the "pipeline nonsense" and other drama and there isn't a reason for the high prices, they'll come down just a tiny bit because they figure we're all OK paying insanely high prices anyways. (Because, yea, we're suckers with no real alternative...)
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
surely someone has a parking mode dash cam