REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Car salesman career? Yay or nay?

Looking for some responses from the veteran salesman on this forum.

So what's it like being a car salesman? Besides getting commission on the cars you sale, do you get paid hourly when no-one comes in? Who decides on how many days or hours you work?

What kind of perks do you get? Employee discounts on car purchases/leases?
Advertisement
"stick car is funer then any auto but i will only take cl55amg, sl55amg, slk55amg, clk55amg, sl60amg if auto. why people drive auto becuz it is they can't drive the 6speed gear. auto is too slow of car means the seconds higher with the manual 1/4, 1/8
only fast auto is AMG ever. "
LancerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

I'm going into my 10th year. I worked for Chrysler for 7.5 years and now with BMW. Love it. Dress well or dress casual, drive awesome cars, get paid great (if successful), tons of perks (some dealers have monthly car allowances, special lease rates, allow taking demo's overnight etc), great job if you are a car guy and enjoy talking/working with cars. Despite what people say about sales people the majority of the people you deal with are decent humans that don't treat you like the scourge of humanity. You get to meet some very interesting people and hear some cool stories. You'll also experience some crazy people which can be pretty entertaining. I got in when I was 21 so I had a very low stress life, next to no bills etc. I've seen many start later in life 30's-40's with wife and kids to support and they often look like basket cases. Long hours but flexible (most places) and if you land a position at a solid dealer generally the staff are all decent people too. Pay structures vary at every dealer but if you know what you are doing or have a good mentor you can go far and succeed with any of them.

Last edited by prudz; 03-12-2018 at 01:58 PM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Talk to Tofu
Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
^ Lol

sup.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,687 Times in 3,122 Posts
My sales rep at fmov seems to be doing quite well. He's happy and well adjusted. On the other hand the few sales rep I've seen selling volume products (Toyota, Honda, etc) aren't exactly the friendliest bunch. Probably due to the nature of the business where these poor smucks who deal with corolla sales only get 150-300 dollars and you gotta push the quota or else.

That's a lot of pressure and dealing with the general car buying public who thinks you're trash without you even opening your mouth is a hard gig. I couldn't do it.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Would it be common for car sales guys to clear 60 - 80k a year? Or do most successful ones make more.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
As a shopper, I will say good dealerships hire good staff. Shitty dealerships hire good people and turn them into shit.

i.e. I had good experiences at Preston GM

But fuck Dueck GM to the bottom of the ocean
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #8

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Would it be common for car sales guys to clear 60 - 80k a year? Or do most successful ones make more.
Super easy to obtain those figures. I'd say if you work at a generic brand (honda, toyota,mazda) the 80k mark is probably delivering 12-15 cars / Month and anything lower is 11 and below (Including a average of the spiffs and bonus' based off my stores guideline)

Problem with the generic brands is that if you don't work on a flat commission the gross of the new cars is so low that even if you get 20% of the margin you will walk away with a $100 commission slip and trust me, 4/5 clients expect a discount or have unhaggle/car cost canada report. You also spend 2x as long delivering a new car and have to worry about the customer survey.

From what I've heard luxury and domestic brands is the exact opposite but a little more cut throat.

I love the store i work at and wouldn't go anywhere else as the no stress and reasonable vacation/day off days is worth everything to me. Management is awesome and supportive, Its a super busy store, No negotiating on used cars etc) Ive gotten plenty of job offers at other stores but choose to stay here.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjalapeno View Post
Super easy to obtain those figures. I'd say if you work at a generic brand (honda, toyota,mazda) the 80k mark is probably delivering 12-15 cars / Month and anything lower is 11 and below (Including a average of the spiffs and bonus' based off my stores guideline)

Problem with the generic brands is that if you don't work on a flat commission the gross of the new cars is so low that even if you get 20% of the margin you will walk away with a $100 commission slip and trust me, 4/5 clients expect a discount or have unhaggle/car cost canada report. You also spend 2x as long delivering a new car and have to worry about the customer survey.

From what I've heard luxury and domestic brands is the exact opposite but a little more cut throat.

I love the store i work at and wouldn't go anywhere else as the no stress and reasonable vacation/day off days is worth everything to me. Management is awesome and supportive, Its a super busy store, No negotiating on used cars etc) Ive gotten plenty of job offers at other stores but choose to stay here.
Wow. 12-15 cars a month? You must be super good but at selling cars. But I worked 2 years at Pacific Honda and only one guy did 12-15 a month consistently. Everybody else was 6-8 including myself. Super easy to obtain 80k a year? Again, as far as I know, only one guy at my dealership made that. He made over 110k that year but that's only one guy while the rest of us made barely enough to eat. I'm not trying to discredit anything you've said but I think the OP should hear the other side of car sales and not only from the top 1%. At 12-15 a month, you must be getting a lot of referrals. There's no way you can get that strictly waiting for ups. I'll admit, I wasn't very good at it but to say it's easy to sell 12-15 a month especially when you're first starting out in this business to me is impossible. If anybody cares, my best month ever was 9.5 cars and I was at the dealership a grand total of 26 days that month (on shift, appointments, going in to deliver cars etc)
Blah_Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
As a shopper, I will say good dealerships hire good staff. Shitty dealerships hire good people and turn them into shit.

i.e. I had good experiences at Preston GM

But fuck Dueck GM to the bottom of the ocean
I agree!
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #11

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
Wow. 12-15 cars a month? You must be super good but at selling cars. But I worked 2 years at Pacific Honda and only one guy did 12-15 a month consistently. Everybody else was 6-8 including myself. Super easy to obtain 80k a year? Again, as far as I know, only one guy at my dealership made that. He made over 110k that year but that's only one guy while the rest of us made barely enough to eat. I'm not trying to discredit anything you've said but I think the OP should hear the other side of car sales and not only from the top 1%. At 12-15 a month, you must be getting a lot of referrals. There's no way you can get that strictly waiting for ups. I'll admit, I wasn't very good at it but to say it's easy to sell 12-15 a month especially when you're first starting out in this business to me is impossible. If anybody cares, my best month ever was 9.5 cars and I was at the dealership a grand total of 26 days that month (on shift, appointments, going in to deliver cars etc)
We have two top sales consultants that do 25-30 a month.

3,4,5,6th place sales people do 16-24

The rest of the team does 8-15 which is where I stand. Ive been in the business for a year so I don't have that much repeat/referral business (maybe 2 a month).

Im basing this off the dealership I work at. Others might not be the same. Its not necessarily hard to achieve 12+ deals at my store. I should of been more clear in my original post. The numbers I based it off is only from my store.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I heard that corporate Mercedes-Benz dealers are the holy grail for car salesmen.

At the end of the day it's a sales job, unfortunately with a bad reputation. You'll have to be good at cold approaching potential customers who will look at you in either horror or dismissive.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:09 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
That's what I've heard for MB as well since they're corporate which offers more flexibility amongst stores/your actual boss is rarely there; and the commission is very good. Their minimum requirement was something like 2 years sales exp at a luxury dealer (they don't count Acura or Lexus ). I've got a few friends in the car sales business, one of them clears 10+ cars a month and one quit after half a year. Interpersonal skills are definitely a must if you want to succeed.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Become a car sales person and then get in touch with who ever this guy is trying to hire. Profit $$$ ???

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/...522691073.html
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Being a Financial Advisor, I hate car salesmen with a passion. They give people expensive new cars with extremely high payments and then they look at me like what do you mean I can't qualify for even an apartment in the lower mainland, Well maybe you shouldn't have put a $600-1,000 monthly obligation on yourself.

I am also not a fan of the current trend to extending car terms for 7-10 years, when statistically people don't keep their cars for that long. Which means that people are often buying new cars and holding their old vehicle debt on a new one and the depreciation cycle begins. But dealerships are calling people usaully after 2 years asking them to trade in their car because its highly in demand?

So if you are comfortable going into an industry where generally speaking, the more successful of a car salesman you are, the more people you tend to hurt financially. Go right ahead.
forcedot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

^ is that one of the dumbest posts of 2018?
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
^ is that one of the dumbest posts of 2018?
What exactly is dumb about it? Do you understand the type of sales role this is where even giving someone a higher interest rate for a car loan can net you a larger commission?

Last edited by forcedot; 03-11-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedot View Post
What exactly is dumb about it? Do you understand the type of sales role this is where even giving someone a higher interest rate for a car loan can net you a larger commission?
Do you blame the restaurant for selling $200 steaks or the broke-ass that goes there instead of eating at home?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Do you blame the restaurant for selling $200 steaks or the broke-ass that goes there instead of eating at home?
I don't blame them for people's lack of research or will power, but they certainly do not help.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #20

You crazy man. It's not car salesmen who indebt the individual, it's the individual themselves. Plus if they really want that shit house / condo just tell them to get a lease takerover / roll the car payment into the mortgage. it ain't rocket science.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
You crazy man. It's not car salesmen who indebt the individual, it's the individual themselves. Plus if they really want that shit house / condo just tell them to get a lease takerover / roll the car payment into the mortgage. it ain't rocket science.

Again, I am not disputing people's stupidity. I object people who perpetuate it by leading the herd in the same direction.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #22

Buddy the herd leads itself. These guys arent actively going to people's houses to sell them cars. People go to them and usually with an idea in mind already of how much they will spend.

Last edited by Badhobz; 03-11-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Buddy the heard leads itself. These guys arent actively going to people's houses to sell them cars. People go to them and usually with an idea in mind already of how much they will spend.
Well car salesmen make proactive calls to clients to solicit trade ins and the fact is people assume they can afford a vehicle, simply by the monthly payment.

If you think what I am saying is crazy, just look at the fact that Canada has the worst household debt IN THE WORLD when compared to our GDP. Our herd can not afford to make mistakes as it costs us all in the long run.

Canadians' Household Debt Tops All Other Countries In OECD Report

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/24/cana...port-says.html
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #24
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
lol unwise choices.

We got people insisting to get into an Audi A5 and they sign up at 19% on subprime. We ask are you sure man and they insist it.

It’s no different than going to a bank and insisting on getting a loan. You’d sign the guy up even you damn well know he doesn’t need one.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjalapeno View Post

Realistically what kind of deals are people generally getting based on those reports? Are they paying closer to invoice then MSRP?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote