REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
200 UTQG Tires for DD

Hey guys, planning on taking my car ('02 5spd Corolla) to track events for the first time this summer. Already have all the suspension sorted out (springs, struts, poly bushings), but now I need some advice with my first set of summer tires ever (205/50R15).

Given that I'll be using the car for DD purposes 95% of the time, does it make any sense to get a very sticky tire for street/highway driving? How quickly will say, an RT615K+ or RE71R wear when being used as a street tire for mostly highway use?

Cost-wise, stickier tires are very similar to something that's not as sticky with higher treadwear, say Conti ECS or DZ102, so I don't mind stepping up a performance category for something more sticky, but not if I have to replace my summer tires every year. I'd be swapping out the summers for winters as soon as the temps drop.

I'd like to hear some experiences of people using sticky tires for mostly DD purposes in the summer with the occasional track/autox use.
Advertisement
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
For your usage, I'd recommend buying some Conti ECS from Tire Rack. They'll be far more comfortable than either RT615K+ or RE71R, likely wears better for street use, and only give up maybe 5% of the ultimate grip in the dry. In the wet, they'll be on par or better than the 200TW tires. For what it is worth, I am running some Conti ECS on my daily / autox car, and I absolutely love the tire. It is grippy, communicative, has a broad and gradual breakaway characteristic, so it is a very easy tire to drive.

I don't like having RE71R for track use because the tire just wears way too fast under those conditions. They are cheap to buy, but securing stock locally is often difficult. They are fanstically grippy though, and at least when they are new-ish, I find them to be communicative and very easy to drive as well.

I have ridden on RT615K+ at both the track and at autox, and love it for its grip levels. It is no RE71R (in terms of grip), but it doesn't seem to wear nearly as fast as the RE71R either. I haven't tried it for street use yet, so I can't comment on the everyday civility when it gets used on a daily. Judging from past experience though (with various older RE615 tires that kept the same tread pattern), I can't imagine the latest K+ version being as comfortable / quiet as the ECS.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Hey guys, planning on taking my car ('02 5spd Corolla) to track events for the first time this summer. Already have all the suspension sorted out (springs, struts, poly bushings), but now I need some advice with my first set of summer tires ever (205/50R15).

Given that I'll be using the car for DD purposes 95% of the time, does it make any sense to get a very sticky tire for street/highway driving? How quickly will say, an RT615K+ or RE71R wear when being used as a street tire for mostly highway use?

Cost-wise, stickier tires are very similar to something that's not as sticky with higher treadwear, say Conti ECS or DZ102, so I don't mind stepping up a performance category for something more sticky, but not if I have to replace my summer tires every year. I'd be swapping out the summers for winters as soon as the temps drop.

I'd like to hear some experiences of people using sticky tires for mostly DD purposes in the summer with the occasional track/autox use.
Sorry I have nothing to add to this thread.

BUT

I'm super excited to see that you want to track this thing!
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Sorry I have nothing to add to this thread.

BUT

I'm super excited to see that you want to track this thing!
I'll be waving every single person through.

Might as well just tape one of these on the car

Will be curious to see if I'm faster than the Miatas.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Old 03-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Continental ECS for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
An equally important issue in addition to the tire is your wheel size. How wide is the wheel you plan on using? With a 205/50/15 tire, I really wouldn't recommend anything narrower than a 7" wide wheel. Depending on the tire (model) that you plan on buying, the sweet spot for wheel size would likely be 7.5" or 8".
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #7

It'll be a 6.5" wide wheel. I've seen photos of both the ECS and RT615K+ on 6.5" wide wheels, the sidewalls are actually quite flat, unlike that of the SC2 which runs super wide and bulges out pretty far on a 6.5" wide wheel.

I could run 8" however on my car, in order to have the wheels fit under the fenders I'd have to run around 2.5 degs or more of negative camber. Having run that much camber on my last car (albeit 1000lbs+ heavier than my current car) and using it for DD duties (around 100km/day at least 4-5 days a week), it was too much, and I got crazy camber wear even with zero or close to zero toe. I wore out a set of 450tw tires in around 20,000kms

Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 AM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
For your usage, I'd recommend buying some Conti ECS from Tire Rack. They'll be far more comfortable than either RT615K+ or RE71R, likely wears better for street use, and only give up maybe 5% of the ultimate grip in the dry. In the wet, they'll be on par or better than the 200TW tires. For what it is worth, I am running some Conti ECS on my daily / autox car, and I absolutely love the tire. It is grippy, communicative, has a broad and gradual breakaway characteristic, so it is a very easy tire to drive.

I don't like having RE71R for track use because the tire just wears way too fast under those conditions. They are cheap to buy, but securing stock locally is often difficult. They are fanstically grippy though, and at least when they are new-ish, I find them to be communicative and very easy to drive as well.

I have ridden on RT615K+ at both the track and at autox, and love it for its grip levels. It is no RE71R (in terms of grip), but it doesn't seem to wear nearly as fast as the RE71R either. I haven't tried it for street use yet, so I can't comment on the everyday civility when it gets used on a daily. Judging from past experience though (with various older RE615 tires that kept the same tread pattern), I can't imagine the latest K+ version being as comfortable / quiet as the ECS.
I agree with everything above, but just want to add that I have dailied the Azenis on two different vehicles (e30 / miata) and they lasted longer than expected. Grip levels in the wet were also above what I expected. That being said these were on light vehicles and I wasn’t putting in huge commute km’s either.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I agree with everything above, but just want to add that I have dailied the Azenis on two different vehicles (e30 / miata) and they lasted longer than expected. Grip levels in the wet were also above what I expected. That being said these were on light vehicles and I wasn’t putting in huge commute km’s either.
According to Tire Rack reviews and other owners sharing info online, the RT615K and RT615K+ don't wear anywhere near as quickly as the Star Specs or RE71R on a car under 2500lb. My car is just under that number, should be around 2450 or so.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Yeah if you had to pick one tire for first track days and street tires, price out the difference for some pilot super sports (or the new pilot 4s). Depending on the size the azenis aren’t much cheaper

Edit: just looked again at your size. Yeah I don’t think they make MPSS that small. Although that’s the same size I ran on the mists/e30. Loved that tire... and they stretch well! 15x10.5

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.rackonly.com
Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

Alright, I think I'm going with the ECS, will order tonight from Discount Tire Direct and take advantage of that 15% off everything coupon on eBay. A set of ECS in 205/50R15 comes to around $400 CAD only

A set of ECS in that sizing here costs nearly $700 CAD after taxes