REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
2 in 1 washer/dryer combos

Both my washer and dryer crapped out this week. Both are 10+ year old so we were thinking of a 2 in 1 washer/dryer combo as a replacement.

We live in a 680 sq ft condo, so the 2 in 1 allows us to put up shelves to store our laundry supplies.

Has anyone have any experience with them. Any other pros or cons to a 2 in 1?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
In my brief research about them it seems like it’s not worth it.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
In my brief research about them it seems like it’s not worth it.
Anything in particular?
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 04-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
They Take way longer, have way more parts to break, typically it’s only euro manufacturers which make them and in turn it’s much harder to get parts etc.

We have a separate washer and dryer unit however our dryer is a “condensing” unit as in it has no vent, it basically collects all the water through condensation and then dumps it out the same pipe as the washer. A full cycle of towels takes approx 3.5 hours to wash and dry. I believe most of the 2 in 1 combos work like this.

I like it because it doesn’t “fry” your clothes, but it’s sometimes inconvenient. Also these units will likely cost as much if not more than a combo 2 peice standard units. So you have to weigh that cost factor in.

Like for my “apartment sized” LG washer and condensing dryer, we paid almost $2600. If you can get regular sized stackers a good combo is only like $1300 for both.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-12-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I don't have one but I used my sister-in-laws combo machine in HK and noticed that it took forever to dry.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Agree with Hondaracer here. When my washer crapped out last years, my brief research suggested that these 2-in-1 units are not worth it -- pretty much for the exact reasons Hondaracer mentioned.

We went with an apartment-size stacking set of washer & dryer instead.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'm dreading the day my washer/dryer crap out. They're old and basic but they do their job well and so far, I haven't had any trouble getting parts, locally. Most new units have too many/fragile parts and complex boards.

Sigh....

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #8

The washer still works but sometimes it just stops mid way. No way to get it to restart from that point, we have to start the wash cycle from the beginning.
As for the dryer, I think the bearings are starting to go as the sounds it makes is different and now I noticed a burning smell so we've stopped using the drying and have to use the pay per use one that the condo has.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 04-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
I'm dreading the day my washer/dryer crap out. They're old and basic but they do their job well and so far, I haven't had any trouble getting parts, locally. Most new units have too many/fragile parts and complex boards.

Sigh....
I was in the same situation as you, our old washer/dryer were from the 70's that came with the house. Drum stopped spinning in the washer and was in a really inconvenient location to move/fix.

Everyone talking about how fragile new washer/dryers are, I'm thinking its all the new features are the first to things break. Finally bit the bullet and I wound up finally replacing them with the most basic set Trail appliances had for about $1k delivered/setup and old set removed.
pherio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
i had one in Hong Kong. takes forever to dry.

Why don't you aim for a good washer and then if you really need to dry it then head over to a self laundry shop to do it?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pherio View Post
Everyone talking about how fragile new washer/dryers are, I'm thinking its all the new features are the first to things break.
I think it's because people beat the snot out of them (not leveled, overloaded, dirty vents, etc) and don't run cleaning cycles to protect the spider in the washer.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherio View Post
I was in the same situation as you, our old washer/dryer were from the 70's that came with the house. Drum stopped spinning in the washer and was in a really inconvenient location to move/fix.

Everyone talking about how fragile new washer/dryers are, I'm thinking its all the new features are the first to things break. Finally bit the bullet and I wound up finally replacing them with the most basic set Trail appliances had for about $1k delivered/setup and old set removed.
It's a little late for you now, but fwiw, old dryers are actually a very simple design. If the drum stopped spinning, it's likely the belt broke. It is a very easy (and cheap) DIY fix.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Like anything now a days. Combo appliances devices are crappy. They don't do any one thing well compared to dedicated ones. Plus with more control system and temp variations, easier for electronic to break.

I bought a apartment type laundry centre for my rental unit. Because space was an issue.

Less electronic, less chances of things breaking.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote