REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 04-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #26
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Thank you for sharing your perspective and insights on the issue, ScizzMoney.

If employement opportunities is all the benefits BC will see as a result of the pipeline, I'd honestly be quite disappointed. The construction itself will obviously create employment opportunities, as will the on-going operations and maintenance. But those are pretty much just the costs for KM to operate the pipeline. To view them as payments for using the BC lands, and more importantly, as payments to offset the environmental risks seem inappropriate and highly inadequate.

IMO, I view the pipeline as the tool that KM needs to deliver their products to their desired market. And then I view the bitumen as the product that Alberta / KM are trying to sell. To make it worth BC's while, I'd really just look at the employment opportunities created in a light no different than another other company that wants to conduct business in the province. Meanwhile, the product itself is also creating huge profits, and that profit needs to be shared with BC in some form.

I'm sure as hell that KM pays AB a handsome coin just to dig that bitumen up. If they are going to run the product through BC properties (ie. land), it make sense for us to get a cut out of that too, probably based on the volume of the product that is going through the pipes.
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
where can I read more about how they're gonna ensure they will be ready for an oilspill at sea?

I only know about double-hulled vessels, but let's be honest I question the standards that are asia-bound
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #28
HELP ME PLS!!!

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/oceans-protection-plan.html
Old 04-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
People seem think as soon as the pipeline is built all of a sudden the oil sands companies are going to flick a switch and start to produce more oil sand. Trust me when I say this, each mine up here in Fort McMurray is already producing as much as they possibly can. Whether the pipeline is built or not, this bitumen is coming out of the ground and getting to market.
I work with a slightly different type of oil acquisition from Alberta/Sask but the companies we work with are operating the same way, everybody is running everything at max capacity.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #30
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
This is from TMP website under 'Benefits' (so you can take it with a grain of salt):

https://www.transmountain.com/benefits

Economic Benefits
The $7.4 billion* pipeline Project will increase the value of Canadian oil by unlocking access to world markets. A Conference Board of Canada report has determined the combined government revenue impact for construction and the first 20 years of expanded operations is $46.7 billion, including federal and provincial taxes that can be used for public services such as health care and education.

British Columbia receives $5.7 billion
Alberta receives $19.4 billion
The rest of Canada shares $21.6 billion
Municipal tax payments (not adjusted for inflation) total $922 million to BC and $124 million to Alberta over the first 20 years of expanded pipeline operations.

Last edited by whitev70r; 04-17-2018 at 05:36 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

How does AB get 20 billion? is the result of my question out of that infographic. Could it be that Kinder Morgan is operating out of AB and it's the provincial taxes?

Those person-years metric, are the highest number they can get out of a calculation. lol. They seem so inflated.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Thank you for sharing your perspective and insights on the issue, ScizzMoney.

If employement opportunities is all the benefits BC will see as a result of the pipeline, I'd honestly be quite disappointed. The construction itself will obviously create employment opportunities, as will the on-going operations and maintenance. But those are pretty much just the costs for KM to operate the pipeline. To view them as payments for using the BC lands, and more importantly, as payments to offset the environmental risks seem inappropriate and highly inadequate.

IMO, I view the pipeline as the tool that KM needs to deliver their products to their desired market. And then I view the bitumen as the product that Alberta / KM are trying to sell. To make it worth BC's while, I'd really just look at the employment opportunities created in a light no different than another other company that wants to conduct business in the province. Meanwhile, the product itself is also creating huge profits, and that profit needs to be shared with BC in some form.

I'm sure as hell that KM pays AB a handsome coin just to dig that bitumen up. If they are going to run the product through BC properties (ie. land), it make sense for us to get a cut out of that too, probably based on the volume of the product that is going through the pipes.
You worded as if KM is an oil producer. They're just a pipeline company, they charge a toll. Blame Suncor/Canadian Oil Sands instead.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

hopefully the BC NDP are just holding out to fight for a larger cut of the pie
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
our cute little cut of the money pile,and no word of lowering fuel costs with it build and running..

What a Deal
Old 04-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #35
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originalhypa, you are not answering Teriyaki's question. All you're saying is, the pipeline will help Canada (and Alberta in particular) as a whole, but that doesn't translate into what BC can get out of it when the bulk of the pipeline pass through BC lands, and the increased port traffic (and thus higher spill risks) are happening right on BC shores.

If AB wants to use BC's resources to make the pipeline happen, that's fine -- just pay up for it properly and make sure BC gets a fair cut of the benefits. All their threats and posturing isn't gonna make anyone in BC more receptive to what AB wants to do.
I'm with you on the threats and posturing. It's typical ignorant, alpha male Alberta bullshit. Let me start off by saying that I despise Alberta. Every time I see a fat girl in a Pontiac Sunfire with red plates I cringe a little. Same goes for the ultra lifted Dodge Ram driven by a guy who can deadlift 500lbs, but still reads at a grade 2 level..... but I digress.

The truth is that by allowing our Canadian oil (notice how I didn't say Alberta's oil) to the Asian market it strengthens our nation as a whole. Through tax revenue, job creation, investments, and simple trickle down economics, our economy is bolstered by the strength of our oil industry. Just like how our timber exports help the rest of Canada, except that oil is far more important than wood.

Truth is, we need this pipeline. Nationally, BC is being seen as a province that doesn't want to do business. On a global scale, Canada is being seen as the kind of place you don't want to invest in these days because of the rogue provinces. In financial circles, this spat is embarrassing at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
You worded as if KM is an oil producer. They're just a pipeline company, they charge a toll. Blame Suncor/Canadian Oil Sands instead.
Why blame?
They're simply extracting a natural resource not much different than gold, lithium, or coal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
hopefully the BC NDP are just holding out to fight for a larger cut of the pie
I think that's the case. No one wants to be seen as the bad guy here, so Horgan blames the Greens, Alberta blames BC, and Trudeau smiles like a fucking idiot through it all.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
. Every time I see a fat girl in a Pontiac Sunfire with red plates I cringe a little. Same goes for the ultra lifted Dodge Ram driven by a guy who can deadlift 500lbs, but still reads at a grade 2 level..... but I digress.
I lol'd this is spot on accurate especially in Kelowna.

I think the BC Green/NDP are waiting for the supreme courts to rule in favor of KM so they can say they tried their best without losing face.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
I think the BC Green/NDP are waiting for the supreme courts to rule in favor of KM so they can say they tried their best without losing face.
Another entirely likely and viable option is to drag the incident out long enough such that KM deems there to be too much risk and/or uncertainty, and then they (KM) pull out themselves.

Isn't KM already suggesting they might pull out?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
KM pretty much wanted out the minute Keystone XL was approved.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Another entirely likely and viable option is to drag the incident out long enough such that KM deems there to be too much risk and/or uncertainty, and then they (KM) pull out themselves.

Isn't KM already suggesting they might pull out?
I believe their deadline is May 31st. But who knows, could be just pressure tactics.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
A different buy very interesting viewpoint on the pipeline that resonates with some of the posts above.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2018/04/1...laying-Canada/
Long story short, it very well could be that all Kinder Morgan doesn't see the return on investment it would like anyways, and the in-fighting between the governments is playing right into their hands because they want out. Now they'll have a way out, plus sue us for all we're worth, super salt in wound.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #41

popular or not, i tak e it that suing or shakedown will yield much less than the returns if built
Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #42
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
KM and the sands producers don't like it when the price of oil is low.

The Saudi oil mafia wants to see the price of a barrel go up to $100, and they have the power to do it.

Quote:
Exclusive: OPEC's new price hawk Saudi Arabia seeks oil as high as $100 - sources

DUBAI/LONDON (Reuters) - Top oil exporter Saudi Arabia would be happy to see crude rise to $80 or even $100 a barrel, three industry sources said, a sign Riyadh will seek no changes to an OPEC supply-cutting deal even though the agreement’s original target is within sight.

Spoiler!

This would make oil producers all over the world very happy.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #43
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Here's a poll on Vancouver Sun. At the time of posting

For the Pipeline - 63.5%
Against - 36.5%

Poll: Are you for or against Kinder Morgan?s Trans Mountain pipeline? | Vancouver Sun
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #44

A simple for/against poll like this is utterly meaningless and useless. The matter is a complex subject, and cannot be broken down into a simple yes/no question. What if someone is supportive of the pipeline, but only if certain terms and conditions are met? What if someone is ideologically against the pipeline, but begrudgingly supports it because he sees it as a lower risk alternative compared to other methods of transport?

And given that the majority of the pipeline runs through BC, and the risks are primarily borne by BC, BC should obviously have more say in the matter than the rest of Canada. But only half of those surveyed are from BC. When an oil pipe is running through my backyard, why should someone else who is living 5000 km away have an equal say on the matter than I would?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #45

This is an insightful perspective that I think really drives home multiple strong points. Do you guys see any major counter-arguments against it?

Thomas Gunton: Trans Mountain pipeline is not needed | Vancouver Sun
Quote:
The prime minister’s announcement that he will subsidize the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion project has added a new and disconcerting dimension to the pipeline debate.

The question is: Why should taxpayer funds be used to support a U.S. pipeline company that is putting B.C.’s coast at risk when there are Canadian pipeline companies capable of transporting Alberta oil to market without risking B.C.’s coast and without requiring any subsidy?

To understand how we got to this seemingly illogical decision, we need to go back a few years when oil markets were booming and it looked like we needed a large number of new pipeline projects. Five new projects, including Trans Mountain, were proposed during that boom time.

But then things changed. The oil market has weakened as the world transitions away from fossil fuels, and Alberta oil production forecasts have declined by about 1.5 million barrels per day (2014-2017), thus reducing the demand for new pipelines.

The Energy East pipeline connecting Alberta to eastern Canada was cancelled because of declining demand, and Enbridge’s Northern Gateway was rejected by the federal government. That leaves three new approved pipelines still on the table: Enbridge’s Line 3, Keystone XL, and Trans Mountain. In addition, Enbridge is proposing 0.5 million bpd of expansions to its existing pipeline.

The new capacity from these proposed expansions — without Trans Mountain — is 1.7 million bpd. But with the declining oil market, Alberta only needs between 0.5 and 1.3 million bpd of new capacity by 2030 (and likely closer to the lower end). Bottom line: There is more than enough new pipeline space proposed without building Trans Mountain.

Trans Mountain’s alleged advantage is that it connects to Asian markets, thus reducing dependency on the U.S. But much of the oil destined for Trans Mountain will go to the U.S., and the other proposed Enbridge and TransCanada pipelines connect to world market prices at tidewater in the U.S. Gulf.

There may be short-term market constraints that cause temporary divergence in prices in specific markets, but, over the longer term, prices in all tidewater locations will be similar as oil moves from market to market to equalize price.

Therefore, all the pipeline expansions on the table will fetch world prices for Alberta oil.

But Trans Mountain has a big disadvantage: It has a much higher risk factor than the other projects because it cuts through the middle of Canada’s third-largest metropolis and requires tankers that will put B.C.’s coast at risk. The risk of a port spill is 77 per cent, and the median risk of a tanker spill is 56 per cent.

Trans Mountain will also increase gas prices in B.C. by more than doubling the toll on the existing pipeline than transports gas and oil to the B.C. market to help subsidize the new pipeline.

Enbridge Line 3 and Keystone XL have a much lower environmental risk because they connect to the world market price in the U.S. Gulf without using tankers.

Therefore, it is possible to meet Alberta’s need to get its oil to world markets and protect B.C.’s coast by using the alternative pipeline projects.

Add to this a concerted effort by Alberta to get more value for its oil by upgrading it into a refined product instead of shipping it out as raw bitumen and strengthening our climate change policies, and we have the elements of a compromise that comes close to meeting everyone’s interest than pushing through with Trans Mountain.

Why then is the prime minister doubling down to subsidize Trans Mountain when there are more palatable alternatives?

Justin Trudeau points to the need to protect Canada’s international reputation and the authority of the federal government to deliver on its decisions. Egos are no doubt also at stake.

While there is merit to the prime minister’s argument, it needs to be balanced against his own statements that the review process that led to the approval of Trans Mountain was deficient and his commitment to First Nations reconciliation.

And it has to be balanced against the harm to Canada’s reputation that will come from the massive protests and arrests and the reopening of the constitutional discord with Quebec and others that will ensue if he continues to push the building of Trans Mountain in the face of escalating opposition.

The federal government no doubt is facing a tough dilemma. But doubling down on Trans Mountain by using taxpayer funds to subsidize one company at the expense of its Canadian competitors and risking a major conflict that will do irreparable damage to Canada’s reputation is a risky course.

Maybe it’s time for the federal government to reconsider other options and let Kinder Morgan make good on its ultimatum to shelve Trans Mountain. Like most compromises, this will not make everyone happy, but it may come closer to meeting everyone’s objectives than the current option of subsidizing a controversial American owned pipeline.

Thomas Gunton is director of the Resource and Environmental Planning Program at Simon Fraser University and is a former deputy environment minister for B.C. who helped resolve the province’s “War in the Woods”.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
the world transitions away from fossil fuels
I stopped reading here. People are wanting to transition, but it isn't happening on a large scale yet.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #47
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
The excavators to mine the lithium for your precious eco friendly batteries don’t run on flowers.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #48

VS demo is quite a bit older. You get a general public poll and I think it'll be pretty even

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I stopped reading here. People are wanting to transition, but it isn't happening on a large scale yet.
not that different from the gun control thread

start somewhere, anywhere...or we still be at horse buggy or caveman chest thumping

we're lucky to live here where we don't have to rely solely on coal...why can't we have a dialogue harnessing more from our hydro?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #49

Looks like the game is on?

BC suing Alberta after that province gave itself power to cut off oil supply - NEWS 1130

Would be very interesting to see how this proceeds.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #50

deadline's next week
i doubt even KM wants this built at this point
if's going ahead, the AB gov't will need to buy the project to which it will face an even more vehement opposition