REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
recycling, is it confusing?

so in recent months I've been seeing more videos on social media trying to educate on what is actually recyclable and what is not

the kicker: every municipal is a little in what is deemed waste/or recyclable

trying to familiarize with what CoV is doing
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...recycling.aspx

but everytime I'm out and about ie. surrey or coquitlam and I see multiple receptacle...I literally have to stand there for 10 seconds just deciding where it should go. Is this a dilemma for most?

I also don't understand why a little bit of grease stain/residual food and it's automatically deemed a waste, I don't mind if the box of my iPhone smells like pizza (they recycle in China right?)
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Fuck that shit. Just toss it all in the dumpster.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

I thought you drive a prius though
Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Fairly straight forward. No issues or any confusion here. In the start there was, now you get used to it.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
You haven't seen recycling until you have seen Kamikatsu.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

why do we need to sort recycling?
people would throw anything into garbage bin.......
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

In Vegas, everything goes in the garbage... they sort it when it gets to the facility.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
IF you were to ever give up and decide to do it yourself at a recycling depot it's a lot easier. Any cardboard gets thrown in a cardboard bin, any soft plastics in a separate bin, hard plastics, styrofoam, metal etc. Yeah it'll take you 5 minutes to do so, but it'll get done right.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 AM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I do my part but the way how the recycling works here is weird..... Liek for container/juice boxes it have to be all dry or the stickler peal off. If it is wet the whole batch basically gets treated like garbage and is sent to the landfill. Same with cardboard boxes if there are food scrap that whole bin is sent to the landfill. That's what I understand.

Sure I usually let wash and let the containers dry before I throw them out but for cardboard boxes sometimes is hard to get rid off all the foods on it IE pizza boxes or they have oil stains on them already. It sucks because living in apartments I know some people will just throw whatever into the recycling bins without cleaning it so that whole bin of recycling is wasted.

Is so common in the food scraps to be in plastic bags just throw into the food scrap bin and that's not allow. So that whole bin in food scrap is also going to the landfill. Nothing you can do. I see this everytime I throw my garbage out just makes me wonder why put in the effort when it will end up in the landfill anyways coz some people are too lazy.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Plastic bags probably seem like the obvious choice for some people to use for food scraps since people usually get quite a few of them while shopping. It's much easier to get a package of little brown paper bags to use daily.

Bag to Earth

Couple bucks and will last you over a month. I usually get them from Save on Foods.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

^^ I just use plastic bags and them dump all the food scrap at the bins for all the food scraps in the garbage and then throw the plastic bag in the garbage bin. Not sure why people just don't do that. It takes an extra 2 seconds.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Our Condo has recycling bins for everything, Glass, Plastics, Card board, compost, all except soft plastics. We're even provided with green bags for compost. The GF bascially turned me into a full time recycler. We literally separate all our garbage and recycling items to the point we only have 1-2 shopping bags of garbage per week and most of that is just cat litter with some odds and ends. Its like working out, once you've created the habit, its just natural to stick to it.

The worse people are those who just throw everything into one big garbage bag and just dumps it all.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #13
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
It’s confusing because people are idiots.

So glad I don’t live in an apartment anymore where I have to deal with the morons who think dumping green waste into a plastic bag and the puting the whole bag into the green bin is appropriate..

I make a trip to the north van transfer station at least once a month for cardboard and other things because Vancouver system of having the full sized garbage and green but retaining the stupid little blue bins is retarded. Why have they not gone to the full sized recycling bins like surrey etc. recycling is pretty much the majority of waste now and it’s getting to the point where even with my wife and myself that we have too much recycling on a weekly basis so I have no other choice than to start putting cardboard etc in with the garbage.

I’m not going to stuff my blue bin in the alley so full that it’s falling everywhere creating an unsightly mess I have to clean up later. Fucking stupid they don’t have the full sized recycling cans.

Also, going to the transfer station is so ducking cheap for garbage it really pisses me off when I see illegal dumping (outside of drywall, I honestly completely get why people dump drywall in alleys etc because the cities make it virtually impossible to get rid of)

Yesterday I took pretty much a full load to the transfer station, half my truck box was filled up with old clay bricks and cinder blocks, essentially the worst case scenario for the dump because all you’re bringing in is weight. That whole load only cost me $50 to get rid of. Mattresses are only $20 etc.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

I also don't understand why a little bit of grease stain/residual food and it's automatically deemed a waste, I don't mind if the box of my iPhone smells like pizza (they recycle in China right?)
Cause oily pulp makes shitty paper. A little bit of grease can ruin a whole batch of paper/cardboard. You're actually causing exponentially more waste of you throw a pizza box in the recycling.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,708 Times in 3,133 Posts
This is fucking stupid. Just take everything into the dump and then hire a few guys to sort it out. Job creation and overall ease for the general public.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It’s confusing because people are idiots.
This. Maybe my momma taught me well and it’s just instinctual now.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #17
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
I'm not in the recycling industry but I do work in processing. I've had the chance to work with sorting technologies and I'll try my best to clear up some points people have brought up.

1) as recycling programs have expanded, people throw more into their bins. This creates more material to be sorted. More sorting leads to more time and effort which increases the costs associated with recycling. Thinking of hiring more workers? Sorting technologies are able to do that now (more cost effective than hiring a bunch of workers). However, it can be challenging to implement (leads to my next point).

2) The possible reason why your soiled plastic or cardboard may be considered garbage now is because the technology used to sort the waste can't detect the material properly if it's covered in a layer of grease for example, or maybe it's the reason why you have to peel off the label. Also, what vitaminG has said, contaminated material can affect your end product.

3) The above two points might be reasons why municipalities consider different items as wastes vs recyclable. It comes down to the facility where they send the recyclables to and the technology/processes used at that facility.

Again, I don't work in the recycling industry so take my thoughts with a grain of salt but I would bet it's correct. Recycling isn't cheap by any means and sometimes it can be a hassle for everyone, but it's definitely the right direction instead of throwing all our waste into the ground.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

it's really not that hard to sort out food waste, plastic bag/containers/packages, paper/cardboard, metal etc

the bottle depot (and the city of coquitlam actually has a good recycling yard at lafarge lake) will take styrofoam (meat trays, lunch boxes etc)

really not much needs to go int he garbage any more
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #19

before finding the website, I would just toss whatever I'm not sure of into the blue bin
i'd rather there be inefficiencies during sorting than to have it end up in the ocean
why do we keep tossing straws and 6-pack plastic rings into the waste receptacle if it might end up inside marine life?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
it's really not that hard to sort out food waste, plastic bag/containers/packages, paper/cardboard, metal etc

the bottle depot (and the city of coquitlam actually has a good recycling yard at lafarge lake) will take styrofoam (meat trays, lunch boxes etc)

really not much needs to go int he garbage any more
Try telling the people in my apartment that. Most of the stuff is in the garbage/compactor. I mean when things like this happen in my apartment

You really can't expect people with common sense to sort out what's recycle what's garbage. I actually saw this online. Even though the person who posted didn't say where they are from I am 100% is my building. It have the same washer/dryer as mine, is the same hard wood/materal fro the laundry room and from the pictures and the layout is the same. I just wish I knew what unit is it from.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #21

https://globalnews.ca/news/4153053/b...ling-mistakes/

separate lid if it's different material from container
says flattened pizza boxes, but I don't know when's the last time I haven't seen grease stains on pizza boxes