REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Landing a multi-engine aircraft on one engine does not make you a hero. Any pilot with a multi engine rating is trained to do such a thing.
Advertisement
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
sorry, and you flew one when cabin was depressurizing, a passenger was flailing out the aircraft then bleeding to death and you kept your cool?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 AM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
sorry, and you flew one when cabin was depressurizing, a passenger was flailing out the aircraft then bleeding to death and you kept your cool?

No I expect pilots to freak out, lose their minds and nose dive the plane into a field. Meanwhile in seat 14A....

This post FAILED by:
Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Rapid cabin depressurization is literally the easiest memory item in any plane (and the "most fun"). A "good" pilot shouldn't be primarily concerned with the person hanging out the window, just worry about getting the plane on the ground.

And the plane wouldn't be hard to fly, the autopilot would be doing everything anyways. And in the event the autopilot was U/S it still wouldn't be hard to fly. Where things get cunty is if said shrapnel from the engine took out any of the redundancies in the hydraulic/electrical systems... Or if the person got fully sucked out of the plane and smashed into the elevator, at which point life would probably suck a lot.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #30

double post
Old 04-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
No I expect pilots to freak out, lose their minds and nose dive the plane into a field. Meanwhile in seat 14A....
good sir you're so collected under pressure!!! if only you were the only one manning this ATR that shut off the incorrect engine when shit hit the fan ...could've saved 43 lives but if you did people cant call you a hero

This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #32
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Listening to that radio conversation was great. Yes landing with a single engine is the most highly trained maneuvers in sim sessions, but listen to that little women. ATC is wound right up (also very trained individuals) and she is a calm as a clam. Rapid depressurization on its own, sure it’s easy in the sim. But if you haven’t experienced it in reality... It’s a hell of a lot different then in the simulator. Well done crew, well done. Determining what’s going on in that situation with multiple failures would have been a handful.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #33
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Just listened to the ATC chat, both the captain and co-pilot were very calm on the radio. They did their job quite well, all persons involved did.

Was also very happy to hear none of them had the Air Canada voice goin and talked like normal human beings haha
Old 04-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Landing a multi-engine aircraft on one engine does not make you a hero. Any pilot with a multi engine rating is trained to do such a thing.
Just because you are trained to do something (in a controlled environment) doesn't mean you can do it in the event of an emergency.

What's your definition of a hero?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Just because you are trained to do something (in a controlled environment) doesn't mean you can do it in the event of an emergency.

What's your definition of a hero?
So everytime a pilot lands a broken airplane he/she is a hero? What about medical professionals like doctors and nurses who save lives on a daily basis and never get praised, or EMS services? Being around aviation for the past decade, single engine landings are more common than you think.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #36

Every ER surgeon is a hero in my mind. When they fuck up though only the dying guy, dies. Not quite the same when the pilot does.

Single engine landings are common. I’ve had them. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve praise.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #37
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
EVERYONE IS A HERO!!!

*points at you*
you're a hero!
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #38

Quote:
So everytime a pilot lands a broken airplane he/she is a hero?
a hero even in the insurance company and the carrier's eyes

think of all the pay-out that was avoided
think of the asset that was saved

of the 149 that survived the ordeal, how many of them do you think were expecting to never see their sons or daughters again?

don't be sucha buzzkill
Old 04-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
a hero even in the insurance company and the carrier's eyes

think of all the pay-out that was avoided
think of the asset that was saved

of the 149 that survived the ordeal, how many of them do you think were expecting to never see their sons or daughters again?

don't be sucha buzzkill
Sully was a hero, he along with the copilot, reacted quickly and made the right decision under pressure so save those lives. The aircraft was going down either way. In this situation there was a checklist to follow - single engine landing and depressurization. There was no danger of that aircraft crashing after the incident. The word hero is overused just as much as the word epic. Everything is epic these days.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #40

you seem to be quite worked up over semantics
you can continue to conveniently ignore the TransAsia mass casualty from two pilots in 2015 or the fact this incident was the first human fatality in practically a decade of US aviation history
while you might think they're 'just doing their job', let's not forget each time I board I'm putting my life in the hands of your community...and yes it also apply to bus drivers, to first responders, etc.

$6K comp, I'd probably take it
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKBN1HR30O

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-21-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Sully was a hero, he along with the copilot, reacted quickly and made the right decision under pressure so save those lives. The aircraft was going down either way. In this situation there was a checklist to follow - single engine landing and depressurization. There was no danger of that aircraft crashing after the incident. The word hero is overused just as much as the word epic. Everything is epic these days.
So your definition of a hero is anyone who saves lives without a trained procedure for them to follow? Sully is an amazing man. The best spokesperson aviation has had in years. Professional and down to earth. Ditching an airplane on water is not tested, trained or even described how to be done on an Airbus. Aka He’s damn lucky, and so are all his passengers.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #42

is this gonna be a new trend for the year?

Quote:
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - The co-pilot of a Sichuan Airlines flight that was forced to make an emergency landing on Monday was “sucked halfway” out of the plane after a cockpit windshield blew out, media reported, citing the aircraft’s captain.

Liu Chuanjian, hailed a hero on social media after having to land the Airbus A319 manually, told the Chengdu Economic Daily his aircraft had just reached a cruising altitude of 32,000 feet when a deafening sound tore through the cockpit.

The cockpit experienced a sudden loss of pressure and drop in temperature and when he looked over, the cockpit’s right windshield was gone.

“There was no warning sign. Suddenly, the windshield just cracked and made a loud bang. The next thing I know, my co-pilot had been sucked halfway out of the window,” he was quoted as saying.

“Everything in the cockpit was floating in the air. Most of the equipment malfunctioned ... and I couldn’t hear the radio. The plane was shaking so hard I could not read the gauges.”

The co-pilot, who was wearing a seatbelt, was pulled back in. He suffered scratches and a sprained wrist, the Civil Aviation Administration of China said, adding that one other cabin crew member was also injured in the descent. None of the plane’s 119 passengers was injured.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1IG0SC
Old 05-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
^I would say its an occurrence within the range of normal much like the Malaysian flight mystery and all the other incidents that occurred around the same time. These stories had the public's attention and people wanted to connect the dots every time a new story popped up.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #44
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
^ Really? I would have thought ANY incident of explosive depressurization would have made the news in a big way. Seems like a big deal either way but it could just be selective reporting.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
^ Really? I would have thought ANY incident of explosive depressurization would have made the news in a big way. Seems like a big deal either way but it could just be selective reporting.
I mean normal as in these are likely just isolated incidents due to human factors like improper maintenance, rather than an aircraft/part flaw or piloting issue which would require an overhaul of the industry. They just happen to appear as a trend because there is a small string of incidents occurring in a short time frame rather than spread out over decades.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #46

MH370 flight was in the range of normal?
no blackbox or bodies recovered 4 years on
as recent as this week they're now suggesting pilot suicide

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3474f794c542
Old 05-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #47

Yes, it is normal ( as in not unexpected) to see plane crashes and incidents of aircraft emergency given the various complexities and factors invovled in flight. Due to how many flights occur around the world at any one time, it is statistically bound to happen, despite all the best practices and measuresto prevent them. The human factor will always be there as the most likely cause. The fact that a few incidents might occur in close chronological proximity to eachother, does not suggest a trend. It is still considered the safest way to travel afterall.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #48
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
MH370 flight was in the range of normal?
no blackbox or bodies recovered 4 years on
as recent as this week they're now suggesting pilot suicide

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3474f794c542
Quote:
Another theory was that he hijacked the plane in protest of the jailing of Anwar Ibrahim, who was then the opposition leader in Malaysia.
If this was truly the reason ,it's a shame the pilot couldn't hang on until now as Anwar was just released from prison yesterday after a stunning election defeat of the incumbent government in Malaysia.

Malaysia's freed Anwar Ibrahim hails 'new dawn' after poll win - BBC News

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote