REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Eibach vs H&R / Koni vs Bilstein (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714657-eibach-vs-h-r-koni-vs-bilstein.html)

BIC_BAWS 04-20-2018 03:15 AM

Eibach vs H&R / Koni vs Bilstein

So by now, most of you know I've been looking for suspension - Bilstein B14 PSS. Unfortunately, there seems to be a NA-wide backorder, and won't be available until mid-July. Since I want to get at least one auto-x/track-day in this season and I have put my suspension refresh on hold since August 2017, I need to find a new option.

The car in question is a BMW e46 330ci (it's an m-sport, but doesn't matter since we're swapping suspension anyway) and my main priority was to get height adjustable suspension (HAS). While HAS would be nice, I'd eventually want to get into a M3, so sucking it up would be alright to put more in the future M3 fund.

The new criteria is:
  • Must give me at most 1/4" wheel well clearance on 19s (currently rubbing w/ H&R Race)
  • performance (ride properly - not bouncing around (too stiff/soft), not skipping over bumps, etc. I want to feel planted to the road.
  • cost/value (must be cheaper than $1300 cad - cost of B14 PSS)
  • ride quality

For shocks I've narrowed it down to Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellow. The Bilsteins are monotube and are suggested to give a harsher ride - but better damping. On the other hand, the Koni's are twintube, but everyone swears by them and they're more livable for a daily. However, this brings me to my next issue. It seems like Bilstein pairs it to the Eibach pro-line or sport-line, while the Koni pairs to the H&R sport or race/eibach pro or sport.

Specific details in spoiler.

Spoiler!

The question is, given your experience and the information provided, which combination would you pick? Bilstien with H&R (Race/Sport)? Bilstein with Eibach (Prokit/SportLine)? Koni with H&R (Race/Sport)? Koni with Eibach (Prokit/SportLine)?

Thanks for reading my long post and I look forward to hearing your replies!

Edit: Also entertaining the idea of buying Function & Form Type 2 Coilovers, only $866 USD, but I feel like I'd be disappointed.

BIC_BAWS 04-20-2018 04:02 PM

Update: Looks like Bilstein in general is on backorder worldwide. So the only question is Koni + Eibach or Koni + H&R

Dbone 04-23-2018 06:12 AM

Blitzkreig just put B8's on my 996. Shaun didn't seem to have a problem getting them in.

I haven't had a serious drive with them yet, but just on the street they sure feel better than the standard Porsche sports suspension.

Speed2K 04-23-2018 05:17 PM

Did you check here? They are supposed to be the distributors but I find there pricing more than in the US, YMMV.

BIC_BAWS 04-24-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 8899656)
Did you check here? They are supposed to be the distributors but I find there pricing more than in the US, YMMV.

Yeah they're $$$ af. I could find PSS9 for 1300 cad, and they want 1800 LOL. For $1800 CAD I could buy a lot of other stuff.