REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 04-20-2018, 03:15 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Eibach vs H&R / Koni vs Bilstein

So by now, most of you know I've been looking for suspension - Bilstein B14 PSS. Unfortunately, there seems to be a NA-wide backorder, and won't be available until mid-July. Since I want to get at least one auto-x/track-day in this season and I have put my suspension refresh on hold since August 2017, I need to find a new option.

The car in question is a BMW e46 330ci (it's an m-sport, but doesn't matter since we're swapping suspension anyway) and my main priority was to get height adjustable suspension (HAS). While HAS would be nice, I'd eventually want to get into a M3, so sucking it up would be alright to put more in the future M3 fund.

The new criteria is:
  • Must give me at most 1/4" wheel well clearance on 19s (currently rubbing w/ H&R Race)
  • performance (ride properly - not bouncing around (too stiff/soft), not skipping over bumps, etc. I want to feel planted to the road.
  • cost/value (must be cheaper than $1300 cad - cost of B14 PSS)
  • ride quality

For shocks I've narrowed it down to Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellow. The Bilsteins are monotube and are suggested to give a harsher ride - but better damping. On the other hand, the Koni's are twintube, but everyone swears by them and they're more livable for a daily. However, this brings me to my next issue. It seems like Bilstein pairs it to the Eibach pro-line or sport-line, while the Koni pairs to the H&R sport or race/eibach pro or sport.

Specific details in spoiler.

Spoiler!

The question is, given your experience and the information provided, which combination would you pick? Bilstien with H&R (Race/Sport)? Bilstein with Eibach (Prokit/SportLine)? Koni with H&R (Race/Sport)? Koni with Eibach (Prokit/SportLine)?

Thanks for reading my long post and I look forward to hearing your replies!

Edit: Also entertaining the idea of buying Function & Form Type 2 Coilovers, only $866 USD, but I feel like I'd be disappointed.
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 04-20-2018 at 11:35 AM.
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #2

Update: Looks like Bilstein in general is on backorder worldwide. So the only question is Koni + Eibach or Koni + H&R
Old 04-23-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
I don't get it

Blitzkreig just put B8's on my 996. Shaun didn't seem to have a problem getting them in.

I haven't had a serious drive with them yet, but just on the street they sure feel better than the standard Porsche sports suspension.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Did you check here? They are supposed to be the distributors but I find there pricing more than in the US, YMMV.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Did you check here? They are supposed to be the distributors but I find there pricing more than in the US, YMMV.
Yeah they're $$$ af. I could find PSS9 for 1300 cad, and they want 1800 LOL. For $1800 CAD I could buy a lot of other stuff.