REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
My experience with Dueck Richmond and General Motor

I wanted to share my experience with Dueck Richmond and GM Canada.

Approximately 6 weeks ago I decided I was going to buy a new truck, I figured I didn't need a full size and I'd go smaller this time. I liked the looks of the Colorado's, I settled on a 2018 and started shopping around. After I figured out what I wanted I started trying to make a deal on one.

I had spoken to a Sheldon, a salesman at Dueck Richmond about a different truck a few weeks earlier. I gave him a call and let him know that I was going to be making an offer on one of there trucks. I sent an email with my offer, it was contingent on a few things my trade in, some rebates and obviously the price. I put in a no BS offer, I let him know if accepted I would send a deposit right away and I would be paying the balance in cash so financing wasn't an issue.

I received a call about an hour after the offer asking for some more information on my trade in and also some information on the classes I was taking as one of the rebates that was part of the deal was a $750 student rebate that was being offered by GM. I sent him all the information, I provided receipts for my classes and I did end up sending in my transcripts.

He called me back about two later and said we have a deal, he took a $500 deposit over the phone via my visa and we made arrangements for me to pickup the truck the following day after work.

The following day I went to the bank and got my bank draft for the balance owing, a few hours before I was to pickup the truck I received a call from the dealerships financing department telling me that GM had not yet approved the Student rebate so if I wanted the truck that day I'd have to pay it upfront and they would reimburse me once it went through, she told me she'd call me in a day or two once it did. In all honesty that should have been my first tip that something was going on but I was excited about picking up a new vehicle and I didn't want to wait a few days.

I show up pay for the truck and I give them my credit card again so they can take another $250 combined with my $500 deposit to cover the $750 student rebate as it was already calculated into the deal.

Five days had past and I hadn't heard anything back from the dealership, I emailed the fiance contact and asked for an update on the status of the rebate and nobody got back to me. Another two days past and I contacted her again, this time she emailed me back that evening saying she'd call me the next day.

The next day came and went no call, another week goes by and by this time I'm getting quite annoyed. I text my salesman Sheldon and asked him if he could give me the sales managers contact information and have him call me as nobody will return my calls. About an hour after that I get a call from the fiance department person I was dealing with telling me it's not resolved yet but should be in a day or two and she'll call me. I get no call in a day or two, another week goes by and nothing.

I'm pissed at this point and I get in touch with GM, I explain the issue and I'm told someone from customer care will call me. GM had not called me back yet but two days later I finally receive an email from the fiance manager at the dealership.

The email basically said sorry it took so long, GM is denying you the rebate because the classes you take are online.

I call GM and leave a message with the customer care agent that is suppose to be calling me and ask them to call me as I want to resolve this issue. I have spoken to the customer care agent at GM twice in 3 weeks, I've left her probably 7 or 8 messages to call me she usually calls back after the 3rd or 4th one. I even sent a letter to GM with exactly what's happened, with my transcripts and receipts with a printout of the course I'm taking which is a two year program at an accredited college and a printout from GM's website saying who qualifies for the rebate in question asking someone to please call me and nothing.

This past Friday I tried to escalate this issue with customer care and asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. I was advised one would call me back but that never happened, not that I'm surprised it seems to be par for the course with this issue.

I'll be honest if the dealership would have called me back after GM rejected the rebate and offered to split it with me I probably would have taken that and not been to upset about it. They have made no effort to contact me. At the same time I sent the letter to GM I sent a copy of all the documents to the sales manager at Dueck Richmond, no call no email.

Why I'm so annoyed is when I made the deal with Dueck Richmond this rebate was part of the deal and they agreed to the deal having all my information. I honestly believe I qualify for this rebate 100% but if for some BS reason I didn't or don't I believe the dealership either knew or should have known I didn't qualify and should have no accepted the offer.

It's been almost six weeks since I purchased the truck and I have no resolution. I believe that both Dueck Richmond and General Motors dropped the ball on this one. It's totally soured my experience, once the dealership has your money you are of no use to them they will not go to bat for you and they will not try and resolve the issue since they've already made the sale there is nothing in it for them.

If you're curious about the rebate see below.

GM Student Bonus Program | GM Canada

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions:

Who is eligible for the Student Bonus discount?

The Student Bonus is open to eligible individuals who:

Are full-time high school students.
Have graduated** within the last 4 years from a recognized high school.
Are part-time*** or full-time students who are enrolled in an accredited college, CEGEP, university or apprenticeship program.
Have graduated** within the last 4 years from. an accredited college, CEGEP, university or apprenticeship program.
Are part-time*** or full-time students of an Adult and Vocational program.
Have graduated** within the last 4 years from an accredited part-time or full-time Adult and Vocational program.

** For graduates, the 4-year eligibility period will be measured from the date shown on the graduate's diploma.

*** Working towards a degree or diploma for a program consisting of the equivalent of two years or 16 months of study.

Note: A student is eligible only once in his/her lifetime.
I started taking classes in September, we've thought about relocating to Ottawa because of the costs of living here. This particular college offer a program I can complete on weekends and work during the week but I figured I'd start picking away at some of the classes now so it would be less of a work load later.

This is the course I'm enrolled in, as you can see it's a two year program. I feel that whether I'm taking classes online or in a classroom is irrelevant. I'm a part time student at an accredited college in a two year program that's the only thing that's relevant. I'm pissed at GM for denying me this rebate, i'm annoyed with how long it takes to get issues resolved and I'm ticked off at Dueck Richmond for terrible customer service and making a deal either knowing or should have known they wouldn't honor it.

https://imgur.com/7bnKjBg
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Dude, suck it up and move on. This is why dealerships are often referred to as "$tealerships".

While I understand the whole "we had a deal" thing, you have your truck and they have your money. Your "new truck" has already depreciated THOUSANDS, so what's a few hundred more bucks!? Your gonna spend a lot more worrying and being pissed over this situation than what it's worth.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
First thing that caught my attention "Richmond" in the title of the thread, at that point, already knew you'll be walked around the zoo like an idiot.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Contact

tips@jalopnik.com
mclaughlinonyourside@ctv.ca

They might get it viral on social media.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #5

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
W5 and CBC Marketplace also love to rip dealerships.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Dude, suck it up and move on. This is why dealerships are often referred to as "$tealerships".

While I understand the whole "we had a deal" thing, you have your truck and they have your money. Your "new truck" has already depreciated THOUSANDS, so what's a few hundred more bucks!? Your gonna spend a lot more worrying and being pissed over this situation than what it's worth.
I don't agree, I think both the dealership and GM are in the wrong in different ways. I might seem irrational but I'm not going to let it go based on principal alone. If everyone lets it go it gives them more incentive to walk all over people.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Aren't you closer to Preston?

Dueck GM, especially Richmond, is such a stank pit of deceit and bullshit. While I did buy a car from them 5 years ago (straight cash) without issue, my second experience made me boycott them basically.

In 2014, I agreed to buy another car there with an agreed trade in value of my old car. We shook hands and I was told to come back in a few days while they detailed the car and drew up the contracts.

I came back and was about to sign but noticed they wrote a different amount for my trade in value. It was $3000 less than our verbal agreement. Needless to say, I rage quit the premises.

FUCK DUECK

---

As for your issue, I was looking on the website and saw this

Quote:
How does it work?

We know that students don’t exactly have a lot of spare cash. That’s why we want to help you get behind the wheel of a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac with our Student Bonus program. If you’re a student or you have graduated within the last 4 years you may be eligible to receive up to $750* off your next vehicle.
One word popped out

Quote:
may
Then I saw this at the bottom of the page

Quote:
General Motors of Canada Company may modify, extend or terminate this offer in whole or in part at any time without notice
Don't think you'd win against GM with their lawyer lingo. I feel like Dueck roped you in with the false promise of guaranteeing you the discount without actually knowing themselves.

I really really can't stand them.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
GM is it taking advantage of the fact that you already took delivery of the vehicle. They're just gonna hope you eventually give up since you are really no threat to them now since you already have the car.

I've worked with sales managers of many dealerships in many capacities. All I gotta say is $750 is a very a nice bottle of champagne and a dinner for the sales manager and his friends. Keep spreading the word, reddit, jalopnik, whatever. Eff GM and especially Dueck.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #9

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Small claims court may be an avenue. If you want to try to completely nullify the sale, you should probably seek legal counsel.

Definitely file a complaint with the BBB and, as this was an advertised promotion, you may have a case for filing a complaint with the Competition Bureau. Complain to the BC Vehicle Sales Authority as well.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Or park out front with a sign on your car like this until someone pays you back lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1128.JPG (39.7 KB, 0 views)
SkydiveDan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #11
Old School RS

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
I've worked with sales managers of many dealerships in many capacities. All I gotta say is $750 is a very a nice bottle of champagne and a dinner for the sales manager and his friends. Keep spreading the word, reddit, jalopnik, whatever. Eff GM and especially Dueck.
The GM (or the dealership) didn’t get an extra $750 and isn’t going for champagne... If GM approves the credit, GM will write the buyer a cheque, it makes no difference whatsoever to the dealership, they earn exactly the same profit either way.

-Mark
Old 04-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
I sell Jaguar Land Rover and it's my responsibility to figure out what rebates are applicable to the customer's situation. You as the customer shouldn't need to do research and pick at the fine print.

The rebates come from the manufacturer instead of the dealer's gross. If somehow I screwed up and gave the customer the rebate without the proper supporting documents for the rebate, it comes out of my commission.

I just find it an odd process that the rebate has to be approved before delivery. If the salesperson took the responsibility to assure all green lights for the rebates it would be much less of a headache.

Sorry to hear you had to prove your own rebate and put in the leg work. Hope it gets resolved.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
The GM (or the dealership) didn’t get an extra $750 and isn’t going for champagne... If GM approves the credit, GM will write the buyer a cheque, it makes no difference whatsoever to the dealership, they earn exactly the same profit either way.

-Mark
These guys can make it happen. I left the industry because of unethical slimeballs who would do stuff like process paperwork for rebates without the customer even knowing they qualified and keeping the difference as part of their margins. The customer won't get a cheque, they receive the rebate immediately in the agreed price before financing. I'm not saying this is the case here, but it is easily done for non-financed purchases, to them they think they're only robbing the corporstion.

Last edited by snowball; 04-23-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Totally unrelated....but dealerships are dealerships...they really don't care about the customer experience once they have your money...even the big names like Brian Jessel BMW.

friend picks up a 09 pre owned 335 from BJ BMW. points out that a wheel requires refinishing and the dealership agrees to refinish it (remove curbage)....instead....they put on a different wheel lol. of course, it shoulda been up to my friend to figure it out and notice it...but hey, the deal got done and the dealership moves on to the next chump.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #15

Are all four different wheels? Or there's one mismatched? Lol
Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Are all four different wheels? Or there's one mismatched? Lol
1 mismatched. my buddy called the dealership, they played dumb and called back a few hours later claiming they 'found' the right wheel. wtf.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #17
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
When I went to go purchase a Subaru on Cambie, they offered me a price that was only decent in my mind and I felt like they could've gone cheaper. Wouldn't budge even when I asked for a lower price. Literally went to them because of a family member referred me. Literally 4 days after I saw the car, they marked it down online cheaper than what they offered me. Ended up going to a different dealership for a 2017 WRX for the same price they offered me on a 2015 WRX. It's always a hit or miss with stealerships.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
1 mismatched. my buddy called the dealership, they played dumb and called back a few hours later claiming they 'found' the right wheel. wtf.
They look similar enough that I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn't be surprised if they sent out wheels to get repaired in batches and put the wrong one on the car.

End of day dealerships still are run by people, accidents happen.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Assuming you are in the right. Spread the word and hopefully the dealership will smarten up. Go to the news, social media, BBB. At the end of the day if this sleazy business practice prevents future customers from getting into same scenario and potential business with GM that's a win.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
yeah I don think it's likely for them to keep a single wheel in the inventory just in case they're too busy to fix curb rashes
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post

$750 is not a few hundred bucks, esp if you're in p/t studies

classic bait and switch, screw a guy here, screw another there, they can be getting away with saving six figures
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #22

I'm not going to say any more about my own experiences working at dealerships but a word of advice for anyone negotiating in the future is to act as dumb as possible and negotiate the final price before mentioning rebates.

A lot of times salespeople will mention rebates off the bat to discourage you from asking for a lower price, "well we already took off 1,250 from the rebate, we can't really do too much lower"

They may also hold off on telling you so they can use it as final leverage "oh, we also have $1k the factory that you MIGHT qualify for" and 5 minutes later, "guess what? you are qualified we might have a deal now!"

Sometimes they can be really sneaky and work your rebate into the negotiation. For example you ask for 2k off, but they say "we can do 2k off when we add the factory rebate of 1k" they were probably able to give you 2k off plus the rebate anyhow.

As mentioned earlier, the rebates are from the manufacturer and has nothing to do with the dealership so you should be negotiating a price you're okay with before rebates.

In all fairness they're technically allowed to play their customers like that and it's not unethical or illegal if everyone's ignorantly happy.

Sorry quasi, I know it's not directly related to your question but just in case anyone happens to be reading this post related to rebates and incentives I think it would help.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #23

I called GM Customer Care two days ago for the nth time, I wouldn't take no for an answer about speaking to a manager. I eventually got to speak to one, we went over the issues and she said she'd get back to me in two days. Now I've heard that so many times I was skeptical.

Today I got a call from the same manager, she agreed that I qualified for the rebate and that Dueck had been made aware. She said I could call tomorrow and either get them to refund me on my CC or have them make me up a cheque and pick it up.

Last edited by quasi; 04-27-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #24

^^^ be sure to go into the staff washroom and leave a stinky dump of shit in the sink.. .NOT the toilet, the SINK.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #25
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
dude fuck them take it to crown, don't let those fuckers get away with that. 10 years in jail easy
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote