REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Honda is Teaching the Next Generation How to Drive Stick Keeping the dream alive

Honda is Teaching the Next Generation How to Drive Stick - The Drive

Quote:
Driving to drive a car with a manual transmission used to be something akin to a right of passage. Over time, cars sold in the States became more Americanized, ditching the third pedal in favor of convenience and fuel efficiency. But this removed a crucial element of driving: Fun. Last week, Honda announced that it was launching a campaign to bring the joy back to driving by teaching the next generation of drivers how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

Honda invited 53 people to its "Shifting Gears" event in California's San Gabriel mountains last week to show off its line of manual transmission cars. The Japanese automaker brought 16 of its cars to the event with the goal of teaching the participants how to drive a three-pedal car in a closed lot or allowing more seasoned drivers to experience the thrill of California's dynamic roads.

"The Shifting Gears event was a great opportunity for manual transmission drivers of all experience levels to enjoy the increased control of driving stick," one of the more novice manual drivers in the program, Kristen Lanzavecchia, told Honda, "As a newer MT driver, the Honda team's behind-the-wheel training boosted my confidence to make driving manuals fun instead of daunting!"

Honda brought some interesting and exciting cars to the event for participants to try their hands at driving. Attendees could choose from vehicles like the new Civic Type R or the classic Civic CVCC. Honda also brought some of its performance-oriented models like the S2000 CR and Prelude SH into the mix.

Honda is one of the last remaining manufacturers to remain committed to offering manual transmissions in its lineup. The Accord, Civic, Fit, and HR-V all have various trims available with a manual gearbox, and some models, like the Civic Type R and Civic SI, are exclusively offered with a three-pedal configuration, something that isn't often seen in this day and age in the United States. Sure, some manufacturers are choosing to keep a manual transmission in their cars, but are they actively advocating for its use or teaching new drivers how to drive?

There's no denying that the manual transmission is on its way out. More companies are ditching the stick in favor of CVTs or semi-automatic dual-clutch transmissions in the name of efficiency, and with the rise of electric cars, there are very few reasons for automakers to push for the continuance of the manual gearbox. Fortunately, events like this give me hope that we'll see at least a few more years of stick shifts in the States.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 04-23-2018 at 07:10 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
I see Prelude

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
The Accord Sport 2.0T w/ the 6MT is great.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

S2000 CR, Civic Type R for newb stick drivers to try out?
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

That video was too long, I Skimmed it to see if he would touch on the auto rev match feature. I drove a Civic Type R last week, from a stop it added way too much throttle.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Well then get rid of the rev hang and clutch delay valve.

FFS Honda is actively making manuals worse, and now they want us to drive them? What a joke.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post
S2000 CR, Civic Type R for newb stick drivers to try out?
yeah I posted about the EM1 SiR in the other thread, it only has 200 miles I hope they're only letting reviewers drive that haha
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Idk what's up with the rev hang but it seems to be an issue with a lot of direct injected cars. That being said, I think Honda makes one of the best manual transmissions ever. Shifts buttery smooth every time even @ 200k+ kms

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The Accord Sport 2.0T w/ the 6MT is great.
Would be great if Honda delivers them to dealers. We've been waiting forever on a shipment but they keep stalling. They slowed Accord production in the states so thats most likely what is causing the delay.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjalapeno View Post
Would be great if Honda delivers them to dealers. We've been waiting forever on a shipment but they keep stalling. They slowed Accord production in the states so thats most likely what is causing the delay.
Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. The dealership here only got one and they sold it the day I went in for a test drive. Fortunately, got to test drive the only one in Nanaimo later that day before they sold it the following week.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. The dealership here only got one and they sold it the day I went in for a test drive. Fortunately, got to test drive the only one in Nanaimo later that day before they sold it the following week.
What did you think of the Accord? I was considering talking the wife into getting one mainly due to the new tech features and fuel efficiency vs her present SUV. Then I went and drove the 2.0T 6spd. The engine is good but I did not like the visibility, the brakes are so touchy. I don't see anyone with last gen Accord getting the new one. I'll push the wife towards a CRV or Pilot.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
What did you think of the Accord? I was considering talking the wife into getting one mainly due to the new tech features and fuel efficiency vs her present SUV. Then I went and drove the 2.0T 6spd. The engine is good but I did not like the visibility, the brakes are so touchy. I don't see anyone with last gen Accord getting the new one. I'll push the wife towards a CRV or Pilot.
Engine felt really good. I had driven the Civic EX-T and Civic Si earlier in the day and it definitely felt a lot more powerful and sounded better than the 1.5L. I took it down some rough, twisty back country roads and out on the highway and the suspension was really good, IMO. Definitely less choppy than my BMW while still feeling planted. Not as nimble as the Civic Si, but you get beat up less. The cabin is comparably far quieter despite being a larger car and substantially lighter. I'm guessing that's from the noise cancellation.

I didn't really notice the brakes being touchy and visibility wasn't as good as the Civic sedan or my BMW (way better than the Civic coupe), but I thought it was still good. The mirrors are massive, which is good for visibility, but I thought that they were larger than you should have on a sports sedan.

The rear seat is cavernous compared to the previous generation Accord (and my BMW 3-series). It's pretty tight in the back seat with 5 adults in the back of my car, I feel this would be much more comfortable for my friends when we head to a hockey game.

The updated touchscreen is much better than on the Civic. Sharper, easier-to-read in bright sunlight, faster response, and better UI design.

A lot of the features I'd like are options, unfortunately, like the auto-dimming rearview mirror, rear USB ports, wireless charging pad, and trunk drawer and they're ridiculously overpriced to boot.

Some other things annoyed me like the tachometer being on an LCD screen and you couldn't have both the tach and the fuel economy up at the same time. Not the end of the world, but still annoying.

Overall, I really liked it. I had it out for probably like 30-40 minutes. It was my fiance's favourite of all the new cars I've test driven lately (Accord Sport 2.0T, Civic Si sedan, Civic EX-T coupe, Toyota Corolla SE, Mazda 3 GT sedan, Hyundai Elantra GT Sport, Golf Highline, GTI, Cruze, Sentra SR Turbo, maybe a few others I'm forgetting).
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Idk what's up with the rev hang but it seems to be an issue with a lot of direct injected cars. That being said, I think Honda makes one of the best manual transmissions ever. Shifts buttery smooth every time even @ 200k+ kms
Honda has been doing it on other engines. The old V6s are not DI and they also had the rev hang.

It basically forced me to drive the car like a grandma and that's no fun.

And yeah, it's not a Honda-only issue from what I have heard, but it's really annoying.

Oh well, at least you could tune the rev hang out if you have the cash.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote