REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Collector plates!

Hi im preparing my 1994 miata for collector plates right now and im hoping you guys can share your experience with getting them and what kind of "era correct" mods you have declared and passed.
The biggest question right now is im thinking of getting a robbins canvas softtop with glass window but the oem is vinyl with plastic window.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk
Advertisement
Karlkarlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,756 Times in 3,869 Posts
Yeah that would be totally ok
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Im thinking of doing the same but i need a Becker radio and the cheapest i found is $700 US. Im only driving the car from April-Oct so i might just get regular insurance for now until i find a decent priced radio.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,399 Times in 5,090 Posts
I have gotten collector's plates on 2 cars... and am about to do my 1994 MR2 Turbo much like you... I did it on a 1974 Ford Capri and they weren't too picky, it's pretty mint condition but there were a couple niggles and they didn't notice/care... I think they won't have many photos to compare with for that car since there are so few around.

I did my 1968 Mustang and got rejected multiple times for the smallest things, they know every part of a common classic car like that... and even now I only got it because I switched to modified collector's class once they moved the year up to 1974.

The era-specific mods are laid out on the ICBC website pretty clearly. Click here: http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...tus.pdf#page=4

Also, don't fuck around... if you get in a crash and they find an aftermarket radio in your glovebox... no insurance... someone walking on the street passes by your car and you've let things go or have modifications, especially if that person works at ICBC, and they report your license plate? Letter in the mail for re-application... this type of thing.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Yeah that would be totally ok
If i did get the aftermarket top id still have to report it as era correct and see how it goes?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I have gotten collector's plates on 2 cars... and am about to do my 1994 MR2 Turbo much like you... I did it on a 1974 Ford Capri and they weren't too picky, it's pretty mint condition but there were a couple niggles and they didn't notice/care... I think they won't have many photos to compare with for that car since there are so few around.

I did my 1968 Mustang and got rejected multiple times for the smallest things, they know every part of a common classic car like that... and even now I only got it because I switched to modified collector's class once they moved the year up to 1974.

The era-specific mods are laid out on the ICBC website pretty clearly. Click here: http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...tus.pdf#page=4

Also, don't fuck around... if you get in a crash and they find an aftermarket radio in your glovebox... no insurance... someone walking on the street passes by your car and you've let things go or have modifications, especially if that person works at ICBC, and they report your license plate? Letter in the mail for re-application... this type of thing.
Ive read the era correct mods but it dosent mention convertible tops at all. And it doesn't mention if you have a part that was available back then but was manufactured recently.
Also I believe you cannot install era correct bucket seats and steering wheels?

And what type of problems did you have with your mustang? Incorrect parts?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I decided against even bothering when I realised you can't drive your car to work at all, zero.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I decided against even bothering when I realised you can't drive your car to work at all, zero.
But 500 a year for a second toy car? Its a preety deacent deal.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlkarlng View Post

Well I only drive my car May-October anyways, and six months of full coverage allowing for driving to work in Victoria only costs me $500.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:

My 86 is like $350 a year haha.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,756 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
If i did get the aftermarket top id still have to report it as era correct and see how it goes?

Do you use oem mazda brake pads? Do you use oem mazda oil? It’s a canvas top with a window, nearly the same as the oem unit. You’re not putting on a carbon fibre fastback.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Do you use oem mazda brake pads? Do you use oem mazda oil? It’s a canvas top with a window, nearly the same as the oem unit. You’re not putting on a carbon fibre fastback.
I just dont wanna be screwed if i get in an accident and they dont wanna pay because of an infraction. Ive heard of stories where people got denied a payout because of their new rims.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #13
Performance Moderator

The best thing to do is to call ICBC and ask to talk to the collector car section within the vehicle registration area... there’s 2 guys working there doing nothing but reviewing collectors plates applications. Especially a lot of people are doing Miata’s recently they should be very familiar with them.

As for my Mustang they picked on me having my rear reflectors shaved (not on the car anymore) and dual exhaust system when stock was single.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I've gotten Collector plates on my 1984 300ZX 50th AE Edition. Wasn't too hard just a bunch of pictures they wanted (hood open, trunk open, seats, dash/radio, headliner and all corners of the car). Was approved within 2 weeks and grabbed the plates from my insurance broker.

No mods allowed unless it was for safety stuff (ie seat belts). Not a hard process but I wouldn't mod the car and risk it incase something happens.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
TheAs for my Mustang they picked on me having my rear reflectors shaved (not on the car anymore) and dual exhaust system when stock was single.
I thought you were allowed to add things that were optional
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Performance Moderator

^
they were straight pipes with chrome tips, stock had them curved down to the ground.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,804 Times in 3,900 Posts
I really don't understand the original radio rule
um I want a sat nav so I don't have to swipe a little phone screen and end up in a crash...I 'm surprised they haven't let that slide under a safety consideration

are RHD eligible after hitting 25 years?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #18

Ive seen some rhd collectors around.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
For real? Where I used to work I always saw a first-gen Civic hatchback "CVCC" with collector plates parked outside. It was an employees-only parking lot so he was definitely using it to commute. Interesting... I did not know that.

Also, you can't even install a hidden aftermarket radio in the glove box? Saving $100/month isn't worth it for me to listen to crappy Vancouver radio all the time. I'd rather listen to nothing lol.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Performance Moderator

^
Well, 25 years old encompasses even 1993 vehicles now... which have CD players just barely Or even if it's a casette/radio just improvise with one of those Belkin Bluetooth things that broadcasts to a radio station!

The driving to work thing is very concrete, not even once a year let alone once a month... however, another requirement of collector's plates is that you have to have a primary vehicle insured, so one would assume that is your driving to work car. Sucks that you can't ever show your ride off to anyone though.

That said, this is only if you want the highly discounted insurance these plates bring... you can get collector's plates and opt to pay full regular insurance without a primary vehicle insured, but then you'd be essentially completing the process just to have special license plates on your car.

I actually don't even drive to work anymore, I walk and take the train, so my plan next year when my MR2 Turbo is eligible is to get collector's plates for it and insure my 250cc motorcycle as my primary for the year, which costs less than $500 anyway... then I'll be paying less for my MR2 Turbo, 68 Mustang and motorcycle all together than I do for 1 single vehicle right now.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #21

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
The allowable modifications are on icbc website, you're allowed a cd player after a certain year like 1987 or something. You've always been allowed a modern stereo if it was era correct appearance
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #22

If I re-wrap the OEM steering wheel from Leather to Alcantara.
Will it get disapprove ?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #23
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
If I re-wrap the OEM steering wheel from Leather to Alcantara.
Will it get disapprove ?
According to their site: http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...tus.pdf#page=4

"reupholster your seat/interior so long as the material/fabric matches that originally installed"

Sounds like it's not legit.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2018, 12:09 AM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,804 Times in 3,900 Posts
Quote:
I actually don't even drive to work anymore, I walk and take the train, so my plan next year when my MR2 Turbo is eligible is to get collector's plates for it and insure my 250cc motorcycle as my primary for the year, which costs less than $500 anyway... then I'll be paying less for my MR2 Turbo, 68 Mustang and motorcycle all together than I do for 1 single vehicle right now.
does a 49cc moped count as a primary vehicle?

I never understood why collectors' coverage is drastically cheaper...aren't parts harder to find = more expensive payout?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #25

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
does a 49cc moped count as a primary vehicle?

I never understood why collectors' coverage is drastically cheaper...aren't parts harder to find = more expensive payout?
No. First of all, you usually need to buy agreed value insurance. Just because it's old (25 years) don't mean it's worth a lot of money. Getting collectors plates doesn't mean your car is worth anything significant, it just means it's old enough to qualify and it's in decent shape, really.

These plated cars typically see 1/10 of the raod time a normal car does. So it's cheaper to insure.

There are 90's miatas running around with collectors plates that are worth a whopping 5k on the used market. There are some real pieces of shit with collectors plate on it that I wouldn't pay 3k for.

I'm applying for collectors plates, but I also have 3nd party insurance. Basic from ICBC ($3-500) and30k in event of total loss though Hargrty.

ICBC will be happy to total your car, they are not going to run around chasing down a rare headlight for you. You either get the car appriased, and have ICBC insure it for the agreed value or you go 3rd party.

Last edited by trollface; 05-17-2018 at 07:44 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: