REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
^ Agreed.

At the end of the day it's a risky game. Any sort of significant undervaluation will draw attention. In the case of a 10-year-old Mazda worth 7-8k? Maybe not. But on more expensive vehicles there are definitely people who monitor declared values (source: buddy of mine works for CRA).

Personally I think it's retarded that the government can collect taxes on used items, especially through private sales. My best friend who is an avid cyclist has bought and sold used bicycles worth $5-7k and doesn't have to deal with tax stuff. My uncle has bought and sold used audio equipment worth more than some cars I owned, no issues there either.

Whereas I pay the same amount for a car and get shafted on an item that has already had tax collected on it when the original owner purchased it new. I don't understand the difference.
Advertisement
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #27
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
^ Agreed.

At the end of the day it's a risky game. Any sort of significant undervaluation will draw attention. In the case of a 10-year-old Mazda worth 7-8k? Maybe not. But on more expensive vehicles there are definitely people who monitor declared values (source: buddy of mine works for CRA).

Personally I think it's retarded that the government can collect taxes on used items, especially through private sales. My best friend who is an avid cyclist has bought and sold used bicycles worth $5-7k and doesn't have to deal with tax stuff. My uncle has bought and sold used audio equipment worth more than some cars I owned, no issues there either.

Whereas I pay the same amount for a car and get shafted on an item that has already had tax collected on it when the original owner purchased it new. I don't understand the difference.
PST has been charged on all used vehicles, boats, and aircraft since at least 1997 (it may have existed prior to that, but from what I could find in a short period of time, that's the earliest date). Private sales were only subject to PST while sales from dealers were subject to both GST and PST.

When the HST was introduced, the amount of taxes became the same regardless of the source. When the HST was repealed, the government raised the PST rate on private sales to match the tax payed if purchased from a dealer.

As for why, some have speculated that auto dealers lobbied for a level playing field.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
hope you got out of your gambling debt before buying a gas hog as a second vehicle
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Just accept that LS's and JZ's make cheap, reliable power and don't require a rebuild every 100k or premix every tank. They might be overdone but there's a perfectly good reason for it.
Except they're not cheap when it's all done, they lose creature comforts and most of the swaps I hear about end up sitting and collecting dust afterwards. A rotary rebuild isn't anywhere near as complex as a piston rebuild, and every 100k is still a very long time. How many people have actually done a piston swap and then put 100k on the car? Hell, how many people have even put 100k on a performance car?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Except they're not cheap when it's all done, they lose creature comforts and most of the swaps I hear about end up sitting and collecting dust afterwards. A rotary rebuild isn't anywhere near as complex as a piston rebuild, and every 100k is still a very long time. How many people have actually done a piston swap and then put 100k on the car? Hell, how many people have even put 100k on a performance car?
I would think if you want everything working(A/C, PS, ABS, etc.) you are probably looking at CAN$16k+ at the very least.

I actually recall an LS-swapped RX-8 on Craigslist with a Corvette engine with a 4-speed manual tranny almost a year ago. It actually wasn't even complete, and they were selling it because, you guessed it, they ran out of money to finish it up.

A rebuilt/reman Renesis, all said and done, should cost you around CAN$6~7k. It's usually recommended to have an expert do it. It's easy to fuck up if you do it on your own.

As for engine life, 100k km shouldn't be a problem if you take care of it. I am not going to pretend that Renesis doesn't have its problems. The early ones were injecting too little oil to meet emission goals, and that caused the apex seals to wear out. But there are some other factors that caused problems, like the absolute shit of early factory ignition coils that last 30k km before they start misfiring, and the older remans didn't have much of a QC in place. These problem were later addressed, but the damage is already done.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #31
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
hope you got out of your gambling debt before buying a gas hog as a second vehicle

gambling debt?

do you like following my posts just to fail me and make stupid comments you miserable goof haha.
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
I failed you because it takes a minute to google 'rx8 epa' but I suppose you'd come back here asking us to convert that for you to l/100k

but you already did one better and asked us about tax evasion
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #33
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

Quote:
I failed you because it takes a minute to google 'rx8 epa' but I suppose you'd come back here asking us to convert that for you to l/100k

but you already did one better and asked us about tax evasion
The question is for local RX-8 owners and their first hand experience bud.

As I said, first time buying used private sale. Didn't know theres taxes on private shit
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #34
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I get that you want the first-hand experience from an RX-8 owner. Hopefully, the info I gave you was helpful. Do a bit of reading on your own on rx8help.com if you truly want one, but feel free to ask me about something you want to know here or PM me.

You can even ask at RX8Club, where there are people much more knowledgeable than me since I am more of a "keep it stock, maintain and enjoy it" kinda guy. I know 2 people on there that are in BC other than me, and one of them is a mod and he is a pretty nice and respectable dude.

And yes, there are taxes on private vehicle sales. I have done 3 private transactions already, the purchase and sale of my beater 5-speed Corolla, plus the RX-8 I own now. In all cases, there are purchase taxes. It's stupid, but them is the law and there is nothing you can do about it.

Quote:
To be completely fair, though, RX-8's EPA rating can be pretty off for the city driving bit. EPA uses the shift points indicated in Owner's Manual, and that's something that almost no RX-8 owner follows, as a cruising RPM of 2k is pretty low. Rotaries have problems with complete combustions as they are, low RPM will only add to this problem.

One thing to note, the tach actually just tells you the RPM of the eccentric shaft(equivalent of crankshafts in piston engines), which, with some internal gearings in the engine, is actually spinning 3 times as fast as the rotors, so 3k RPM from the eccentric shaft is actually about 1k RPM from the rotors themselves. Not very fast at all that way.

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 05-15-2018 at 11:41 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote