REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Anyone have access to a 3d printer?

Basically someone replaced one of my iforged center wheel caps. I need one made. It's 63.5mm I can lend one to make the other. I didn't know where else to post this, if it's the wrong sub I apologize. Looks like this https://m.imgur.com/a/7M9dn7q let me know cost or if ya'll know anyone that can do it
Advertisement
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,804 Times in 3,900 Posts
I forgot the name but there's a website that locates 3d printers around you and it's quite reasonably priced
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
https://www.3dhubs.com
Old 05-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,756 Times in 3,869 Posts
Check your local library, lots have them now
Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
The library at BCIT Burnaby has one.

https://www.bcit.ca/library/mediaworks.shtml

Says it's for students and staff, but they probably wouldn't mind.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Even if a library has one you still have to know what you are doing. I also don't think a 3d printed center cap will look that good unless you do a lot of finish work on it, bondo/paint. I would look for a center cap from another wheel and mod it to fit.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Sorry to bump this, but I thought I'd chime in a bit.

Typically, when it comes to an actual product that already exists (in this case, a wheel cap), it would be more cost effective / practical to just buy one.

Unless you have a 3D digital model of the cap, the artist (or whoever) would have to create that from scratch, and spend time matching the details exactly. (A highly detailed and accurate replica, both aesthetically, and measurements).

Until 3D scanning technology gets better / more accessible. Unless you already have a perfect digital model of it, then it isn't too difficult.

A while ago, I helped a RS member here (Thumper) make a car badge. I charged him 50 bucks for it, but it took me a few hours to create the model digitally, and then a few more hours printing, testing, and reprinting.

If I were to charge him my typical hourly wage, the final badge would have costed him a few hundred bucks. I also did not charge him material costs (although the ABS plastic I used doesn't cost that much).

IF you already have a perfect digital model, I suggest sending it to a company or someone professional enough to print it PERFECTLY. By this I mean a good printer, good slicing software, and a good technician to set up the files and finish the final print to proper specifications. (This of course is assuming you don't have the knowledge / experience to set up a print).

When I am not printing my own models at home for fun, I send them to a company called SHAPEWAYS. They are based in New York, and will occasionally have free shipping coupon codes. They offer tons of materials such as steel, aluminum, and high detail plastics. Of course, they do all of the quality checks, and finishing, so the product you receive is generally as close to perfect as you'd expect. Their prices seem in line with the industry (compared multiple printing companies).

I've used them to print jewelry (rings, necklace pendants, cuff links), buckles for my watches, and some other nick nacks.

When ordering from a company like Shapeways, I, the artist, create / model that I want myself, following their material guidelines (different materials have different tolerances on sizes, thickness, etc). I then upload it to their site, and order it in the material I want. They set up the file orientations, print the model, and QC / polish the print, then ship it to me.

Anyway, hope this helped shed some light on the whole process.

Last edited by PuYang; 06-02-2018 at 03:58 PM.
PuYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #8
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
ive also ordered from shapeways... the quality is excellent as expected.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote