REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Dead Monitor. Fixable? And Diagnosis

My LCD just went dead last day.
Was watching some video and suddenly the screen flickers and turn black.
I thought the PC froze/shut down, but turns out it is the monitor.

I confirmed by hooking another monitor to the PC and trying to hook the dead monitor to another PC with different connection.

Now, the thing is, the monitor still turns on. The power light is on, and you can see clearly the backlight is on.
It will also turn off the backlight after idling for 30 seconds with no connection like before.
(If i connect it to a running PC, even tho nothing is displayed on screen, the backlight will stay on, so I guess it is still getting the signal)
However, nothing is displayed on screen. (Just plain black screen)
Normally if I turn on the monitor w/ no connection, it will say no video input.
Also, when I try to use the menu button on the monitors, it doesn't show. Normally the menu tab will come on regardless of what video mode/connection it is in.

The monitors is a Philips 40" 4K monitor (BDM4065UC) that's about 3 years old.
Any idea how to troubleshoot and fix it? Since the monitor is still turning on and getting signal, I feel like you only need to replace some small parts to get it working...but unfortunately I don't know what parts...
Advertisement
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
I think any of the three boards inside having a fault could cause that, your best bet is to find an LCD repair shop and have them diagnose it. You can open it up and make sure all the connections are seated properly but be very careful, there are some very high voltages in there.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I think any of the three boards inside having a fault could cause that, your best bet is to find an LCD repair shop and have them diagnose it. You can open it up and make sure all the connections are seated properly but be very careful, there are some very high voltages in there.
Yea I thought about taking it to a repair shop. But I think most places charges $75 just for diagnosis, and if it cost more than $300 to repair I thought I might as well get a new monitor.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Can you see anything at all if you look closely in a pitch dark room? Could be the backlight that went out.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
One common fault is a blown capacitor. Check to see if any are bulging. Ends up being a cheap fix at less than a couple of bucks and some soldering. Fixed many monitors with similar problems due to a blown capacitor.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Does your monitor have more than one input? I've had screens where the digital or analog input goes kaput, and the remaining inputs were still fine.