REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Sponsoring your spouse

So I recently got married to a girl who came to Canada from China on a student visa. She's now on a work visa and I want to sponsor her to live here permanently. I'm a Canadian citizen by birth. Has anyone on here sponsored a spouse before? If so, how was the process? How long did it take? How much did it cost? Do you two have to go before a judge? Any tips? I would appreciate any comments or help from fellow RSers. TYIA.
Advertisement
Blah_Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I have a friend who recently did. Expensive and a pain in the ass is the gist I get from him when he talks about it.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
From what I've heard it's a pretty long process. They may even send inspectors with no notice to check that

A) You do indeed live together. Co-worker's case worker checked their garbage cans.
B) That you are actually in a real relationship, so document things, trips, pics etc.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
So I recently got married to a girl who came to Canada from China on a student visa. She's now on a work visa and I want to sponsor her to live here permanently. I'm a Canadian citizen by birth. Has anyone on here sponsored a spouse before? If so, how was the process? How long did it take? How much did it cost? Do you two have to go before a judge? Any tips? I would appreciate any comments or help from fellow RSers. TYIA.
Are you sure she doesn't have a cousin that is actually her bf in China? As soon as the sponsorship goes through she will just dump you?

In my experience I would say don't do it unless you known her for at least 5+ years, dated for at 4 years and actually live together for 3 years. You don't want to really deal with the mess. and you meet all of her relatives first. Also check to make sure you are not on the hook for her. I am not sure about this so don't quote me on it but I heard that if you sponsor that person and she might up asking the gov for money in the next 10 years (ie, ei, wbc, welfair) basically the gov will ask you to pay back the money she took.

Also I have heard that it is a lot easier for her to get her work to sponsor her.

Again my advice is don't do it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
not a single wisecrack joke...RS has grown up

good luck OP...i'm sure you will be scrutinized by the public servants
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I did it. You gather a bunch of documents. It takes an average 1 year from the day they receive your application. Total fees is approximately $1400.

Canada Immigration (CIC) have done an excellent job. It's a pretty straight forward process. Go to CIC website and download the sponsorship package it tells you everything you need to do steps by steps in there.

Keep in mind once you start the process, should the relationship ends, you are not eligible to sponsor again until 2 (or 5) years have passed.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 12:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
heard that if you sponsor that person and she might up asking the gov for money in the next 10 years (ie, ei, wbc, welfair) basically the gov will ask you to pay back the money she took.
This is wrong info. The length of financial responsibility is 3 years for spouse regardless of relationship status. If the sponsored goes on EI, the sponsor will pay it back until 3 years have passed from the start date of the undertaking.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #8
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but my wife sponsored me for Hong Kong. It was a simple process, everything self explanatory, and no lawyers are needed. If you were born in Canada and have the means to support her, and your relationship is genuine (they will ask for proof of this), I don't think you'd have a problem.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:47 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
you guys sure make the risk without even having a family....I've heard horror stories of Alberta guys getting fucked over bring their hot Brazilian brides over till they get the green card and fuck off after its all done.

The lady even laughed about it but was more happy to be out her shit hole country.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #10
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
I did it. You gather a bunch of documents. It takes an average 1 year from the day they receive your application. Total fees is approximately $1400.

Canada Immigration (CIC) have done an excellent job. It's a pretty straight forward process. Go to CIC website and download the sponsorship package it tells you everything you need to do steps by steps in there.

Keep in mind once you start the process, should the relationship ends, you are not eligible to sponsor again until 2 (or 5) years have passed.
I have also sponsored my wife and it was pretty straight forward as well. It is pretty straight forward as Mlkko states, the info is all on the website. Throughout the process her visa will automatically be extended to stay in Canada. You may be asked to supply photos and evidence that you are indeed a couple, though we never were.

As for being financially responsible, that is correct - the sponsored person cannot collect any welfare/gov assistance while being sponsored. So if the spouse does not have a work visa, you will be on the hook to make all the money.

We did have a small hicccup through the process, where we had sent in all three of my wife's photo ID form her country - even though only 2 were needed, one of them was going to expire in 6 months so they denied the sponsorship and gave her 90 days to get the hell out of town. Ended up getting a lawyer to help us through the appeal.

From sponsorship to becoming a Canadian citizen took us 7 years total, so be prepared for the process to take its sweet time (and to pay for every step of the way). Ah - the things we do for love, eh.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
I sponsored my wife from Japan, it costed me about $1500, and took almost two years (20 months or so I think). The process is long but fairly straight forward as the government website lays it out for you. If there's anything missing during your application they will contact you to submit it later on.

If they require any official documents from China, you will have to have it translated by someone that's certified to do it.

My one piece of advice : when you're filling out the PDF files for example work history, school history, etc. (can't remember off the top of my head what it actually was), just because there's no more room for you to fill it in, it DOESN'T mean you can ignore the rest of the information. They will still want to see it, therefore, you will have to type it out in word and submit that too. I found this out the hard way as the instructions never said anything. This alone delayed my wife's application.

They will also want to see pictures of you two together at events, trips, etc. maybe with friends, family, etc.

I didn't have any inspectors come by (or maybe I just didn't notice).

Another option is to seek out people who do these applications for you. Although they charge up the ass for it...

All the best to you OP! Once my wife had all her stuff go through it was one of the happiest moments for us.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #12

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I have a friend who had no luck trying to get his wife to Canada from the Philippines, but that turned out for the best depending on how you look at it. He split a lot of time between Canada and the Philippines, even getting a condo for themselves and her family there, while trying to go through the process. She ended up getting pregnant, and he was excited to become a father. Except the timing of conception was off, as he was in Canada for months during that time and she was working her cruise ship lounge singer job while he was away. He and his family were pretty devastated by the news. I guess the warning signs were there from the beginning. If I recall he first met her while on a work trip in China where she was working and had to flee the country from some thugs trying to extort money from him for wanting to take her back to the Philippines. I really felt bad for him as he is a genuinely nice guy with limited success with women.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

OP I am not trying to bash you and maybe you will find success but with sponsorship try to put reason/logic first before anything else.

It could end up great but if things go sour you will be on the hook for a lot of things and lose out a lot. There a lot of real life stories where people get scam outright/cheated on.

If anything goes and you have investment (house/property/commerical estate) make sure they are protected. When I purchase my apartment even though I paid for it, I still sign some of sort agreement saying my parents give the money for house. They have the power to take the money back if I decide to sell it. I am sure they won't but is a protection in case something were to happen and I marry a girl who is just in it for the money. At least I have my asset protected. Now I sign this because back then I was dating a girl in China and we were getting pretty close the getting marry. My parents were worry so we agree to do it. If she turns out great and we need to upgrade then great. Otherwise if things go sour at least I won't have to share half of more of my asset with someone who is there for the money.

Either way best of luck OP.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Food for thought - You are expected to sponsor her entire family as well.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

^ You're still on the hook for 1/2 of value. Your parents' money will be treated as shared debt that get subtracted from the final price.

The only way to protect against gold diggers are prenups. But I agree, only sponsor if the relationship is stable and genuine. No need to rush. Besides splitting assets, you're essentially on the hook for up to 72k over 3 years at 2k EI a month. Marriage is no joke.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
To get proper legal advice, call a lawyer. I used Alex Stojicevic in Vancouver, at the time he sat on Imiigration's advisory board. Cost us a total of $5k for him to handle the appeal / Landed Immigrant (now called Permanent Resident) process and it took all the stress off our shoulders.

I recommended Alex to another Canadian I know that was Working in China and then wanted to bring back his Chinese wife - and Alex made it happen easily for them.
Canadian Immigration & Citizenship Lawyers
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #17

Quote:
I did it myself
no lawyers or anything.
It took roughly 1 year? it's shorter if you apply as outland, but you get no work visa. if you apply as inland, you get work visa but takes longer.

Expensive? hardly, maybe few grands, application fee, medicals etc etc.
I wouldn't call it expensive considering you are apply for PR.

First thing you need to is go download the application form and read through it carefully. See if it's something you can do it on your own.
I've done it but I've also know a friend who did it by himself and messed up.

It's really not that hard, all the things you need to do, all doc you are required, it's all in the guide, step by step.

Sponsoring your spouse, partner or dependent child

If you still need more help
Go here, this is great community of people who are in same boat.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-im...sponsorship.5/
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
^ You're still on the hook for 1/2 of value. Your parents' money will be treated as shared debt that get subtracted from the final price.

The only way to protect against gold diggers are prenups. But I agree, only sponsor if the relationship is stable and genuine. No need to rush. Besides splitting assets, you're essentially on the hook for up to 72k over 3 years at 2k EI a month. Marriage is no joke.
Luckily I won't have to deal with it. She find someone else in China. Works out for both of us actually.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ner-child.html
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #20
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Any particular reason she can't get PR on her own without you sponsoring?

My girlfriend handed in her PR forms including the criminal record and medical checks four months ago with the help of an immigration agency. She is also like your spouse, graduated with a student visa and now on a work visa.

Never once did she ask me to sponsor her even with plans of marriage soon (common-law).
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 06-05-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Any particular reason she can't get PR on her own without you sponsoring?

My girlfriend handed in her PR forms including the criminal record and medical checks four months ago with the help of an immigration agency. She is also like your spouse, graduated with a student visa and now on a work visa.

Never once did she ask me to sponsor her even with plans of marriage soon (common-law).
No reason. We just want to pick the most effective/fastest way of doing it. If her doing it herself is more effective or faster, than that's what we're gonna do.
Blah_Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #22
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
with a student visa and now on a work visa.
if you don't already have a student visa, they're not gonna let u through that easy. you'd have to go through one of those student visa programs or work visa which aren't available for all people.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:57 PM   #23

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
It's a pretty straightforward thing if everything is legit.

Just follow the CIC website and make sure EVERYTHING they asked is provided (even if it doesn't apply, make sure you put down "N/A"). Very often, it's not that there's any problem... it's simply it was incomplete. CIC works very systematically and everything is by the book. So, don't expect them to be able to understand your situation. They have some leniency on applications (officers are granted that power when it comes to making the decision), but an incomplete application has 0 chance. If there's anything you (or your wife) can't provide. Get down to the bottom of it and provide proof of why you/her was not able to get it.

I helped my cousin to go through the process (he's US citizen marrying a CDN) and it was quite simple. I think from the day we submitted the application until he was granted his visa, it was just a tad over 7 months.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 AM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Food for thought - You are expected to sponsor her entire family as well.
Hey, maybe she sponsor him back to become a PRC citizen
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #25
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
lol

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote