REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Kate Spade - death by suicide - RIP

*the Rich & Famous are not always living life as happily as we are led to believe.

Fashion designer Kate Spade found dead in New York apartment, officials say - Chicago Tribune

Kate Spade, a fashion designer known for her sleek handbags, was found hanged in the bedroom of her Park Avenue apartment Tuesday in an apparent suicide, law enforcement officials said. She was 55.

Spade's body was found by housekeeping at about 10:20 a.m. Her husband and business partner Andy Spade was in the house at the time. It's not clear how long she had been dead. The medical examiner will perform an autopsy.

The couple's 13-year-old daughter was at school, and officials said a note was found at the scene telling her it was not her fault. The officials were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

A crime scene truck was parked outside their building on Manhattan's Upper East Side, and barriers had been set up to keep back reporters and gawkers who were arriving to the building.

The company she founded and later sold, Kate Spade New York, now has over 140 retail shops and outlet stores across the U.S. and more than 175 shops internationally.

Julia Curry, a spokeswoman for the company, said that "Kate will be dearly missed" and "our thoughts are with Andy and the entire Spade family at this time."

Kate Spade was born Katherine Brosnahan and grew up in Kansas City, Missouri.

She was working as an accessories editor at Mademoiselle magazine when she launched her company with husband Andy in their New York apartment in 1993. She started the company based on six shapes of bags that she thought every working woman needed. It created a smash.

"I grew up in the Midwest, where you have to have it (a fashion item) because you like it, not because you're supposed to have it," she told the AP in 2004. "For our customers, fashion is in the right place in their life. It's an adornment, not an obsession."

From the original boxy handbags, she expanded into shoes, luggage and other accessories, as well as a home line, stationery, and three books. Spade won multiple awards from the Council of Fashion Designers of America and was named a "giant of design" by House Beautiful magazine.

"As an accessory, a great bag that takes the outfit somewhere else is interesting," she told the AP in a 2000 interview.

She walked away from the company in 2007, a year after it was acquired from the Neiman Marcus Group for $125 million by the company then known as Liz Claiborne Inc.

Coach, now known as Tapestry, bought the Kate Spade brand last year for $2.4 billion, seeking to broaden its appeal.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
This is incredibly sad.
Not that I knew her by any means, but the fact that someone who was so successful both in their field of work, and financially would see this as their only way out.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

It goes to show that no amount of money and success can fix mental health issues.

I'm glad mental health is more out in the open today than it was in the past, but we still don't really know how to fix it.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
holy shit a luxury brand bought Kate spade for $2.4 billion after initially $125 million.

i knew a few ladies who bought her handbags
Old 06-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
speaking of mental health - hear lots about it, but what ways are there to get help? phone numbers?

all i hear is "bell lets talk" once a year.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
holy shit a luxury brand bought Kate spade for $2.4 billion after initially $125 million.

Coach did
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #7
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol if you aint happy with what you've always had, you wont be happy with whatever you're trying to get.

you should always be happy, everything else is just icing.

... dont be an icing addict. its not the way the game works.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
lol if you aint happy with what you've always had, you wont be happy with whatever you're trying to get.

you should always be happy, everything else is just icing.

... dont be an icing addict. its not the way the game works.
But icing taste so much better!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post

Reminds me of the founder of Victoria Secret.

Sold the company for sub $100m or less. Then its value rose to the billions as well. Sadly, he also committed suicide.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
speaking of mental health - hear lots about it, but what ways are there to get help? phone numbers?

all i hear is "bell lets talk" once a year.
For immediate help you call a crisis help line

For tackling the issue and fixing it long term you talk to a counsellor

For serious cases in which there is an immediate threat to life, you talk to a psychiatrist (a doctor) who can prescribe you medication and work with you to tackle the problem.

I am a registered clinical counsellor, and my opinion too many people either are not in a stage of change or resistant toward seeking help. Unfortunately, the paying for services barrier also exists, but there are options for low income people to get discounted services. If you want to know more contact a social worker.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,393 Times in 549 Posts
Neiman Marcus made an absolute killing in that deal.

And up goes the prices of all their bags now I presume.
Teriyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #12
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

And now Kate Spades dad just passed away too. What's going on here
bmcmking is offline   Reply With Quote