REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Looks like crime can't keep up with the new technology

Did they think it contained actual coins?

Quote:

Masked thieves steal Bitcoin ATM in Surrey

A crew of masked bandits stole a Bitcoin ATM from Waves Coffee shop at 10777 University Drive in Whalley at 7 a.m. Monday, just after the shop opened for business.

The three men stormed in and worked fast.

Manager Landa Lumase said the thieves hauled the ATM away in a small SUV.

“They came in with a dolly,” she told the Now-Leader, yanked the machine off the wall, “and just walked out.”

“They timed it perfectly — they came right in when the store just opened.”

Nobody was hurt. “Luckily they didn’t bring any firearms with them either,” Lumase said.

She said police are reviewing surveillance footage.

“They got the footage and what-not, so we’re just waiting on the results.”

To make a transaction on a bitcoin ATM machine you need an existing account. The machines are connected to the Internet and dispense the cryptocurrency bitcoins in exchange for cash.

Corporal Elenore Sturko of the RCMP said the suspects “were wearing dark clothing and covering their faces.”

As for the machine, she said, “I don’t believe it’s recovered, no.”

Sturko said investigators are “continuing to canvass for video and witnesses so anyone with information can contact us or call Crime Stoppers.”

Police ask witnesses to call the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or the Crime Stoppers tip line at 1-800-222-8477.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
you might get the cash it took in transactions i guess.. but i'm sure A) people who actually are buying any sort of volume in bitcoin know how to buy without using an ATM, and B) it's probably emptied fairly often.

If you're willing to risk that you'd think you'd rob a more likely revenue generator lol
Old 06-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Newer machines are 2 way so they sell and also buy crypto. They have to have cash in there to pay people who sell their coin.

Last edited by Manic!; 06-07-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you're willing to risk that you'd think you'd rob a more likely revenue generator lol
That's what I'm thinking too.
I'm sure there are far more profitable options out there instead of a bitcoin machine. Like a 7-11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Newer machines are 2 way so they sell and also buy crypto. So they have to have cash in there to pay people who sell their coin.
How much money does a typical ATM carry?
I know that new ATMs are GPS tracked, I wonder why this machine isn't using the same tech?

It has be a bitch to get into an ATM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Was it these guys?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
you might get the cash it took in transactions i guess.. but i'm sure A) people who actually are buying any sort of volume in bitcoin know how to buy without using an ATM, and B) it's probably emptied fairly often.

although I'm not one of these people, but I can see how someone may buy a lot of BTC from the ATM due to them really want to get into the market real quick i.e. a dip.

Also, I'm going to assume BTC atms are not going to be as secure (maybe just bolted to the ground?) and have as many security features as regular money atms
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

No one should be buying bitcoin through an ATM machine, the ones i saw had 15-25% rake added on to the price
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
my buddy has a few of those machines around town. man I wish I got into BTC when he told me to. dude makes a killing just off the % rates alone
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
my buddy has a few of those machines around town. man I wish I got into BTC when he told me to. dude makes a killing just off the % rates alone
I was doing a little research before posting the thread and came across a few sites that offer these machines. The simple act of having one in your store only nets less than a grand a month. But if you own the machine, that's where the money comes in. The range of fees goes from 7% up to 40% per transaction.

That's good money!
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Apparently this guy makes some green:

Or perhaps it was just a good idea for a video :P
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum