REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Accident in roundabout and assigned 100% blame - is this correct?

A friend of mine had a car accident in a roundabout last week. Another car was already in the roundabout when he entered the roundabout. The other car was in the inside lane and then without signalling she veered into the outside lane to exit the roundabout and hit my friend’s car in the outside lane.

According to the ICBC adjustor my friend was 100% at fault because the other car was in the roundabout first and it was up to my friend to yield to the other car because she was in the roundabout first. I understand he had to yield to the other car but it seems unfair that 100% of the fault would be assigned to him because she veered into his outside line without signalling. Any thoughts if he should be assigned 100% of the blame for this accident?

How to use a roundabout
Advertisement
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Your friend probably had a yield sign.

Motor Vehicle Act

MVA - (2) Except as provided in section 175, if 2 vehicles approach or enter an intersection from different highways at approximately the same time and there is a yield sign, the driver of a vehicle facing the sign must yield the right of way to all other traffic.

So I guess this applies regardless of which lane the other driver is in.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Coming from Alberta i'm absolutely baffled by B.C.'s traffic circle laws. It is the only place where you don't have to signal into the circle. If you were in Alberta that driver would be likely 50% at fault since when on the inside lane you must signal to get in or out and anyone on the outer lane must yield to the inner lane. However, in B.C. no signals are required to enter only exit. I live in UBC and everyday witness insanity at the 16th ave traffic circle. To make things worse it isn't even a full circle. Half is outside lane and then just cuts off into inside lane only.

Your friend however is 100% at fault. He shouldn't have been driving on the outside lane for more than a 1/4 of the circle and if he wasn't then he shouldn't have pulled in front of a car exiting the traffic circle from the inner lane. Either way, he would be 100% at fault.

Last edited by prudz; 06-08-2018 at 02:38 PM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
He shouldn't have been driving on the outside lane for more than a 1/4 of the circle.
From my experience, the outside lane is good for half a roundabout not a quarter unless otherwise signed/painted.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

the icbc manual had a few more details than that webpage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabouts
Roundabouts are usually larger than traffic circles.
Some roundabouts have more than one lane.
Lane use signs and markings may be displayed at the approaches to show where you can go in each lane when you are in the roundabout.
Make sure you know where you want to go — and are in the proper lane to get there — before you enter a roundabout.
Roundabouts often have a truck apron around the central island to help large vehicles get through the roundabout.

When you use a roundabout:
• Know where you want to go before you enter a roundabout, and enter the correct lane. Lane use signs or road markings will show you which lane you need to use. If you want to turn left, make sure you are in the left lane. If you want to turn right, use the right lane. If you want to go straight, you may use either the left or right lane.

• Slow down as you approach the roundabout.

• Yield to pedestrians who may be crossing or about to cross in the crosswalk located in advance of the roundabout.

• Yield to any traffic already in the roundabout.

• Go around the roundabout in a counter-clockwise direction. Do not change lanes in a roundabout.

• Don’t ride alongside large vehicles such as trucks and buses in roundabouts. They may need more than their lane to go through the roundabout.

• If you entered the roundabout in the left lane, stay in that lane. You may either go straight or turn left from that lane.

• Signal “right” before you exit.

When you leave the roundabout, be prepared to yield to pedestrians who may be in the crosswalk where you are exiting..
i guess the yield takes precedence?
But in other cases the lane changer is at fault
"Do not change lanes in a roundabout."

Maybe i'm reading too deep into OP post. It kind of sounds like the other person changed lane in between exits.

Like... pretty much the purpose of a multi-lane roundabout is for efficiency. The inside lane for through traffic and the outside lane for, essentially, right turns. If the right lane was clear when your friend entered, it's weird he got hit at that time

If the other driver was going straight or left turn from the left/inside lane, then they did nothing wrong leaving the circle, minus the not signalling

And yes, you are supposed to signal right in BC when exiting roundabouts. Just no one is educated about it and no one enforces it.

Traffic circles =/= roundabout lol

I agree with you Prudz.. there are so many stupid traffic devices, rules that they enforce here that truly negates the true purpose of devices in making traffic efficient here. I think they slow us down on purpose

Last edited by coneZONE; 06-08-2018 at 06:24 AM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,715 Times in 947 Posts
100% wrong
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
yeah I try to yield to those even in the residential circles because it's ambiguous if they're simply turning right or will be going 270 degrees for a left...90% ppl are not signaling in circles so gotta take it super conservatively
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
From my experience, the outside lane is good for half a roundabout not a quarter unless otherwise signed/painted.
Then you sir would be incorrect. If you entered at the same time as someone entering on the inner and they choose to turn immediately right and hit you, you would be at fault as you are responsible for yielding to them. Unless there were solid lines indicating they cannot enter the outer lane.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Sorry, I had to re-read the rules, you don't have to signal into the circle only signal out (which as Conezone pointed out nobody does)
Old 06-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,494 Times in 4,891 Posts
They should scrap all roundabouts in the GVRD. We’re living in a zone (Twilight Zone) where drivers can’t even handle a fricken 4 Way Stop intersection. Roundabouts are a disaster waiting to happen. And, no, don’t suggest “driver education,” ‘cause that suggests some kind of learning going on, gulolol.

Roundabouts = approach with extreme caution and never assume. Make eye contact. Doesn’t matter what race, creed, or sexual preference, be cautious.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,248 Posts

I don't know why we dont have any of these signs here.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Then you sir would be incorrect. If you entered at the same time as someone entering on the inner and they choose to turn immediately right and hit you, you would be at fault as you are responsible for yielding to them. Unless there were solid lines indicating they cannot enter the outer lane.
That is not correct. You can't turn right (ie. 3oc from where you enter) from the inside unless marked.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. From the outside (right lane) you can go right, or straight unless marked.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Roundabouts are great for traffic flow; however, some drivers still don't know how to use them properly:

Source: https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/roundabouts.htm

Outer lane must take first or second exit.
Inner lane must take second, third, or U turn exit.
Most important of all, yield to traffic in all lanes on your left.

Test your roundabout skills here:
http://roundaboutresources.org/four-leg,-two-lane.html

Last edited by Reeyal; 06-11-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: