REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   2018 FIFA World Cup (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714928-2018-fifa-world-cup.html)

Traum 06-13-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightKeeper (Post 8906900)
I remember one year (2010?) S.Korea was top 4 or 8?
It was quite exciting.

You're probably thinking World Cup 2002 when Korea and Japan were co-hosts for the event?

Both host teams played spectacularly well in that tournament, esp Korea. However, I'd also say that some of the referreeing was also quite obviously biased towards Korea (ie. favourable to Korea) as well.

It was exciting being in the DT Denman / Robson area at the time. There were lots of Japanese and Korean people (students?) living there, and it was a riot every time when the teams played. Of course, I had to totally squander that opportunity to meet some new and pretty Japanese / Korean lady friends...
FailFish

keifun 06-13-2018 04:06 PM

Since we're on the topic of FIFA World Cup. I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet on this thread.

FIFA World Cup 2026 goes to Canada-US-Mexico

Canada to co-host 2026 World Cup | CBC Sports

twitchyzero 06-13-2018 08:26 PM

glad we're not gonna bother
we're simply not a futbol town

Tim Budong 06-13-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Budong (Post 8906808)
i created a bracket pool league for rs

https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/br...ejoin/8712c7f6

more of ya'll need to join!!!!

Traum 06-13-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keifun (Post 8906905)
Since we're on the topic of FIFA World Cup. I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet on this thread.

FIFA World Cup 2026 goes to Canada-US-Mexico

Canada to co-host 2026 World Cup | CBC Sports

I'm glad we (Van / BC) didn't get selected to be part of the host cities.

Given the unreasonable unilateral demands that FIFA has imposed as part of the host city requirement, it makes no financial sense to commit to what could essentially become a blank cheque / bottomless financial void.

And then (as I understand it), Canadian cities will only be hosting the Group Phase games. I think there are 48 group phase games in total? Now split them between Canadian, US, and Mexican cities, we can assume +/- 16 games for host country. And with Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal sharing the hosting responsibilities here, that means each city would get +/- 4 games. 4 preliminary round games, for an open-ended blank cheque written out to FIFA -- an organization that is known to be at least quite financially corrupt.

No thanks.

TOS'd 06-13-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Budong (Post 8906937)
more of ya'll need to join!!!!

I yolo'd

will068 06-14-2018 12:12 AM

Damb... NDP effed us. Would have loved for Vancouver to host a World Cup game here.

Traum 06-14-2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8906954)
Damb... NDP effed us. Would have loved for Vancouver to host a World Cup game here.

As a Vancouver resident, I didn't particularly enjoy the last time when Gordon Campbell and the Liberals effed us by hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics here, where CoV was left with a $100M+ debt on the Olympic / Athletes Village debacle alone.

Yes, the games were fun. But the bill was certainly not.

MG1 06-14-2018 02:00 AM

We don't need to go into debt or use precious tax dollars for events that could be held elsewhere. Let other provinces and cities pay for it. The local restaurants and bars will still be making money, since the events are within our time zone. We don't need the headaches that come with events like FIFA. Plus, if people could/would behave themselves, then maybe, yes. Clean up, policing/security, fees to organization, etc. Money has to come from somewhere. I would much rather have our money go towards health care, shelters, etc.

Just my two bits..........

Bouncing Bettys 06-14-2018 08:20 AM

What was the point of spending all that money upgrading BC Place after the Olympics if they aren't even going to use for big seat-filling events? It's not like the local teams come close. The FIFA Women's World Cup was hosted there successfully in 2015.

carisear 06-14-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8906962)
We don't need to go into debt or use precious tax dollars for events that could be held elsewhere. Let other provinces and cities pay for it. The local restaurants and bars will still be making money, since the events are within our time zone. We don't need the headaches that come with events like FIFA. Plus, if people could/would behave themselves, then maybe, yes. Clean up, policing/security, fees to organization, etc. Money has to come from somewhere. I would much rather have our money go towards health care, shelters, etc.

Just my two bits..........

to counter that, during the olympics everyone did behave themselves. infact it was probably the best time i've ever seen vancouver as a whole.

money does already go towards heath care, shelters, etc. over a third of our entire budget already goes towards health ... to have a well rounded society, you need to spend money on many different things.

yes, i know you can cook the books, but the olympics did break even. all the infrastructure left behind is heavily used. Remember, this is canada, not russia. we don't just build shit for 2 weeks using all of your mafia contracts, and then demolish it. We do things properly -- we use gregors friends to do all of construction! :P

as for the exemptions to taxes, worker laws, etc, that's kinda bs, but i can see why they have those. It's not just for TFW, but to allow players /support staff from every country 'work' without any issues with visa's, etc. Sure it can be heavily abused. not going to deny that.

yes, fifa is super corrupt. So is the ioc, and every large governing body. However, how we handle the conditions is what sets us apart.

Great68 06-14-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8906955)
As a Vancouver resident, I didn't particularly enjoy the last time when Gordon Campbell and the Liberals effed us by hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics here, where CoV was left with a $100M+ debt on the Olympic / Athletes Village debacle alone.

Yes, the games were fun. But the bill was certainly not.

The 2010 Olympics bid started as an NDP initiative.

And I do recall a plebiscite in 2003 that won in a 63% yes vote in support of the games, meaning it had the support of the people, so while you're unhappy, you're the minority.

twitchyzero 06-14-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carisear (Post 8906975)
money does already go towards heath care, shelters, etc. over a third of our entire budget already goes towards health ... to have a well rounded society, you need to spend money on many different things.

yet i'd argue our healthcare is still lacking when you compare it to other countries of similar population size

it's like if a city in india got upset they couldn't host the stanley cup finals
or if a city in argentina couldn't host a curling championship

whitecaps FC has done a pretty decent job getting a fanbase in recent years, but still not enough of a football craze/following/religion here

Mr.HappySilp 06-14-2018 01:22 PM

Ch28 06-15-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8906954)

Uh.......

The demands FIFA made are insane.

-tax exemptions for an entire decade

-import and export unlimited amounts of foreign currency (money laundering)

-taxpayers to foot the bill for safety and security

-“visa-free” environment, with work permits issued “unconditionally and without any restriction or discrimination of any kind.” (shipping in working slaves and/or sex trafficking)

-exemptions from provincial labour laws and “other legislation” for companies and personnel involved with the competition (slave labour)

-FIFA would have the right to change its agreement with B.C. at any time

-Require the province picking up any costs that flowed from alterations to the original deal

-Ripping up a new turf field to install a grass field for 2-3 games

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-bid-the-boot/

Bender Unit 06-15-2018 12:00 PM

What a match between Spain & Portugal ~!
Ronaldo was carrying Portugal the whole match.
You can see he was :flamemad:

Tim Budong 06-15-2018 12:05 PM

Portugese Feed

The US Spanish broadcast

GOOOOAAAALLLLLLL!!!!

HonestTea 06-15-2018 12:13 PM

Ronaldo is fucking CLUTCH!

shiesty 06-15-2018 12:47 PM

G.O.A.T.

radioman 06-15-2018 12:59 PM

THE GOAT

Durrann 06-15-2018 08:56 PM

russia all the way haha

6o4__boi 06-15-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrann (Post 8907174)
russia all the way haha

lmfao Russia might actually win their group

6o4__boi 06-15-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvst8 (Post 8906850)
Any good source for online streams?

reddit

pastarocket 06-15-2018 09:45 PM

CR7 is GOAT! FeelsGoodMan

SkinnyPupp 06-16-2018 03:17 AM

Bullshit penalty... dude barely touched the ball, but definitely touched it more than he touched the other player who took the dive!

So much diving by France, this is frustrating to watch. One guy even fucking SCREAMED out loud as he took a dive, and another was tapping out as he pretended to get hit in the face by an elbow

Soccer...