REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   2018 FIFA World Cup (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714928-2018-fifa-world-cup.html)

Traum 06-21-2018 01:12 PM

Ah.... stupid me... got Golden Boot and Ballon d'Or mixed up. FailFish

CR7 has certainly been in beast mode thus far. I hope he keeps this up, but ultimately, I don't think 1 man can carry the whole team, esp when they have a soft and porous defensive side like that.

CorneringArtist 06-21-2018 01:30 PM

Argentina's manager tried 11 different starting XI's in the last 13 games. Of course it was going to be a disaster considering how strong Croatia is, and that's with a midfield not known for defending.

Jorge Sampaoli thought star power could get results with 11 individuals on the pitch.

Tim Budong 06-21-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R. Mutt (Post 8908067)
Messi can't carry a shitty Argentina team. Man their goalkeeper sucks.Croatia was definitely the stronger team.

to be fair... Argentina didn't have their go to goalkeeper in Sergio Ramero

Tim Budong 06-22-2018 10:03 AM

Argentina lives for a few more days lol

SkinnyPupp 06-23-2018 12:08 PM

Glad I tuned in for that! One of the all time great moments in sports! PogChamp

dboy 06-23-2018 12:11 PM

that goal was EPIC

Traum 06-23-2018 12:46 PM

World class and beautifully executed set piece. However, having watch a good chunk of the game, I honestly can't say Germany deserved the win. Sweden was the better team for the majority of the game, but they slipped up when it counted.

iwantaskyline 06-23-2018 12:49 PM

Real Madrid players are defining this tournament just like the UCL. Game defining clutch goals from Ronaldo, Modric, and now Kroos. This is why they won 3 UCL's in a row. They're all so strong mentally, unlike Messi.

SkinnyPupp 06-23-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8908374)
World class and beautifully executed set piece. However, having watch a good chunk of the game, I honestly can't say Germany deserved the win. Sweden was the better team for the majority of the game, but they slipped up when it counted.

Really? I missed the first 2 goals, but the whole time I watched, I thought Germany was on the attack 99% of the time

Traum 06-23-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8908400)
Really? I missed the first 2 goals, but the whole time I watched, I thought Germany was on the attack 99% of the time

I only watch the 1st half of the game, plus a bit of the start of the 2nd half.

I thought Germany was horrible in the first half. They were trying to attack, but kept on getting foiled by Sweden. And quite often when the German attack is repelled, Sweden would catch them with a dangerous counterattack. As with the game with Mexico, the German defence was horrible and allowed the Swedish attackers to slip through. If it wasn't for Neuer, Germany would have been so dead.

I also thought Sweden got ripped off on a foul. It was during one of the counterattack / breakaways when Berg (Swedish forward) was very clearly shoved from behind by a German defender, causing him to fall. It should have resulted in a PK. The television network's replays very clearly showed it was a shove, but somehow the ref decided that the VAR wasn't necessary. Had a PK been awarded, it would have totally changed the pace and flow of the game. Germany got lucky, and Sweden got ripped off.

Traum 06-23-2018 09:15 PM

Grab. Shove. Down he goes. All happening within the penalty area.

Why it wasn't a penalty is beyond me.

TOS'd 06-23-2018 10:34 PM

I watched the whole game and 1st half, Sweden definitely looked better. 2nd half, Germany was better. Which explains why both of you had different opinions.

SkinnyPupp 06-24-2018 10:05 AM

Holy shit Poland vs Columbia are playing HARD and physical... These guys are making the other teams I've watched look weak in comparison

SkinnyPupp 06-24-2018 10:06 AM

Oh nm, something touched the COL goaltender's toe, and now he died

Edit: They poured water on his ankle and he's fine now FeelsGoodMan

radioman 06-25-2018 12:26 PM

Crazy shit just went down in Group B. Refs and VAR were all over the place.

Was bouncing between 2 TV's at work.

R. Mutt 06-25-2018 02:19 PM

Where are all the CR7 dick riders/Messi haters? Iran played their heart out and deserve the draw. It was sad to see the players so distraught at the end. Can’t really say “penaldo” was involved much in the game. Poor penalty shot and Portugal really don’t look like they have any systematic way of building an attack. When it’s all said and done most of Portugal’s goals have come from set pieces, lucky for them Quaresma stepped up and scored goal of the tournament for me.

Just goes to show that one man can’t carry a team, and can literally be played out of the game when the opposing team is setup well defensively. Doesn’t matter if you’re Ronaldo or Messi...football is football.

68style 06-25-2018 02:21 PM

^ Okay

CorneringArtist 06-25-2018 02:56 PM

Sampaoli has lost the dressing room, and the players are deciding the lineup for the last game. What I'd like to see for the absolute mayhem is the off chance that Korea somehow beats Germany 3-0, with Mexico beating Sweden.

Tim Budong 06-25-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R. Mutt (Post 8908602)
Where are all the CR7 dick riders/Messi haters? Iran played their heart out and deserve the draw. It was sad to see the players so distraught at the end. Can’t really say “penaldo” was involved much in the game. Poor penalty shot and Portugal really don’t look like they have any systematic way of building an attack. When it’s all said and done most of Portugal’s goals have come from set pieces, lucky for them Quaresma stepped up and scored goal of the tournament for me.

Just goes to show that one man can’t carry a team, and can literally be played out of the game when the opposing team is setup well defensively. Doesn’t matter if you’re Ronaldo or Messi...football is football.

Revscene is Revscene

SkinnyPupp 06-25-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R. Mutt (Post 8908602)

You care WAY too much LUL

pastarocket 06-26-2018 12:19 PM

Argentina advances to the group of 16 thanks to their win over Nigeria today and Iceland losing their match.

Lucky bastards. LUL

Traum 06-26-2018 12:28 PM

^^ In their current form, there is no way they can beat France.

SkinnyPupp 06-26-2018 05:14 PM

The way I see it, when only 2-3 goals are scored per game, if that, any team can beat any other team. Look at Germany with the last minute goal

DavidNguyen 06-26-2018 06:10 PM

Hope brasil wins tomorrow!

HonestTea 06-26-2018 09:20 PM

Vamos Argentina!