REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Sinemia - 1 theatre movie a month for $4.99 -

Has anyone tried this service before? These prices seem ridiculously low.

https://www.sinemia.com/new-plans/ca...-1?plan_type=3

Highlights
- Any theatre
- Any movie
- No blackouts
- Advanced ticket option

1 movie/month = $4.99
2 movies/month = $6.99
2movies/month (3d/4d) = $9.99
3movies/month (3d/4d) = $14.99

This seems like a pretty good deal if you watch at least one movie a month.
Advertisement
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Huge thread on RFD. Think I'll do some night time reading one night
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/like...wings-2173845/
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,068 Times in 358 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. From browsing the last few pages of the RFD page it sounds like most of the recent difficulties were due to the app having trouble loading stuff, but that this has been resolved in a recent update.

I think I'ill continue to monitor the RFD thread for updates on any issues associated with the service before deciding whether or not to join.
roflwaffle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
I have the 2movies a month plan and it's been great. I haven't been able to book tickets in advanced since I can't do the text confirmation (still trying to talk to their support argh). But going into the movie theatre and purchasing the tickets is easy
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #5

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
IMO, unless it's coming from Cineplex themselves, this business model is unsustainable. Thus, I'd be very worried about any catch (current and potential future) as they ultimately have to make money somewhere.

Only way this model would ever work is that they own the theaters. And besides shifting business to a subscription model, they can still benefit from the concession sales.

Sinemia... at face value, the only way it could make money is that MOST of its subscribers watch less than a movie every 3 month. But if I were a person who visit the movie theater less than once every 3mth... wtf would I want to subscribe to this service?
Old 06-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ They will surely lose money on me if I sub since I am like 5mins away from a theater.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
IMO, unless it's coming from Cineplex themselves, this business model is unsustainable. Thus, I'd be very worried about any catch (current and potential future) as they ultimately have to make money somewhere.

Only way this model would ever work is that they own the theaters. And besides shifting business to a subscription model, they can still benefit from the concession sales.

Sinemia... at face value, the only way it could make money is that MOST of its subscribers watch less than a movie every 3 month. But if I were a person who visit the movie theater less than once every 3mth... wtf would I want to subscribe to this service?
I guess time will tell but when I first heard about this type of business a few months back I was confused on how the business makes money. Is this like some other businesses where they bank on you not using it? It sounds great so far and the price is enticing but honestly with a kid that I can't bring to the movies yet this would be one of those buy and not get my moneys worth deals for me which is maybe exactly the type of customer they want. I'll pass for now and if they're still around in a couple years I'll be all in.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
I'd be very worried about any catch (current and potential future) as they ultimately have to make money somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I'll pass for now and if they're still around in a couple years I'll be all in.
As long as you're not paying for multiple years up front, i don't know why you would bother waiting to see how stable they are. Rather benefit from the service right away before they go bankrupt.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

It seems like they've been in business for a couple of years?

I'm wondering how they make money also... I guess they do want you to skip a month.

I typically watch maybe 3-5 movies a year only. This will surely make me watch more movies... Not sure if that's a good thing since I always buy theatre food, which is super expensive.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I just joined the $4.99per month package.
See how it goes
Old 06-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I have the 2 movies a month for 19.99 for my wife and I. I ordered way back on April 11 and they shipped my card out but it was lost so they said they shipped out a new card. A lot of people are still waiting for their cards. Due to the demand they introduced the cardless feature in their app so you don't need the physical card anymore. They still will ship you a physical card while you use your cardless feature. I'm using that currently and have watched 2 movies for May. Waiting for June 22 when my 2 tickets refresh so I can watch incredibles 2 and Jurassic World. If anyone is interested in signing up. I can provide you with my sinemia # so I can get a $5 referral credit
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Lots of people complaining about not receiving the physical card until months into signing up and that the app that you use is buggy as hell.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Lots of people complaining about not receiving the physical card until months into signing up and that the app that you use is buggy as hell.
They fixed the app. It used to take forever to populate the list of theatres when you used the advanced ticket option. It's instant now.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
As long as you're not paying for multiple years up front, i don't know why you would bother waiting to see how stable they are. Rather benefit from the service right away before they go bankrupt.
Me waiting has nothing to do with how stable they are but rather I don't even go to the movies I average 1 to 2 movies a year right now.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #15

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
The problem is what they do with the data you give them access to.

My friend had had a case where he was subscribed to a service, then the service was sold to another party, then all sort of weird charges (from that service company that he subscribed) started showing up on his account.

It took him almost a year and countless hours on phone with CSR from that company and the bank to reverse all those charges. I'm not saying Sinemia would do this... but when something sounds too good to be true... you better take some time to think or at least do something to protect yourself.

My best suggestion is that if you are going to subscribe, get one of those burner cards (visa gift card or something) and stick with that to avoid any potential problem. Worst case is that they have some of your personal datas plus whatever data its app is mining.

I don't go to movies anywhere near enough to justify this anymore with kids. But just some $0.02 for RSers who are interested.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Watching movies in theatres sucks compared to even an average home setup these days.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #17

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Watching movies in theatres sucks compared to even an average home setup these days.
I think it depends what you're going in for.

By far my favorite movie ever was interstellar and it was really because of the experience I had in the theatre. I still enjoy watching it at home but theres something about having loud noise followed by complete silence in a theatre sized room.

Now on the other end audiences can really piss me off. Infinity war was filled with whistling and clapping on opening night every time a character made his/her first appearance on screen.

I'll probably avoiding opening weekends from now on.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #18
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I think it depends what you're going in for.

By far my favorite movie ever was interstellar and it was really because of the experience I had in the theatre. I still enjoy watching it at home but theres something about having loud noise followed by complete silence in a theatre sized room.

Now on the other end audiences can really piss me off. Infinity war was filled with whistling and clapping on opening night every time a character made his/her first appearance on screen.

I'll probably avoiding opening weekends from now on.
go VIP, this shit doesnt happen there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I have the 2 movies a month for 19.99 for my wife and I. I ordered way back on April 11 and they shipped my card out but it was lost so they said they shipped out a new card. A lot of people are still waiting for their cards. Due to the demand they introduced the cardless feature in their app so you don't need the physical card anymore. They still will ship you a physical card while you use your cardless feature. I'm using that currently and have watched 2 movies for May. Waiting for June 22 when my 2 tickets refresh so I can watch incredibles 2 and Jurassic World. If anyone is interested in signing up. I can provide you with my sinemia # so I can get a $5 referral credit
How do you use the app and the membership?

Do you have to go to a cineplex and show them the app to buy the ticket? or can you pre-purchase the ticket at home?

Can you pay an upgrade price to watch an imax movie?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
How do you use the app and the membership?

Do you have to go to a cineplex and show them the app to buy the ticket? or can you pre-purchase the ticket at home?

Can you pay an upgrade price to watch an imax movie?
1. You need to use the app to buy the tickets. You're basically using the app to tell sinemia what theatre/showtime you're going to and they load the card with the $ for you to purchase the ticket.

Here's a breakdown of the steps to do using the actual card.

https://medium.com/justbutterit/how-...de-45397e32644

I don't have my card yet and am using the cardless feature. For the cardless feature, once you confirm the theatre/showtimes, if gives you one time payment information that you use to enter in online. I only buy online and in advance so I'm not sure how you would use it if you go in person and buy it at the theatre. I'm sure a quick google search would give you all that information.

2. You can go to the movie theatre and buy the ticket in person or you can buy the ticket online which I always do.

3. My membership gives me access to 3d, vip, imax, ultra avx movies. I have the top tier elite membership. I get to watch 2 movies a month, they can be 2 regular 2d movies or a combo of a regular and a 3d, vip, imax, ultra avx. The only thing you have to remember is that when you use a 3d, vip, imax, ultra avx movie ticket, you have to wait 30 days from the time you used it before you can use another one. There's different membership packages so browse the sinemia website so see what suits you best.

4. When you're at the theatre, you have to open the app and check in letting them know that you're actually there and watching the movie. The check in time is a 30 minute window. So let's say my movie time is at 2pm. The check in window is from 1:45pm-2:15pm.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me or post it in this thread, hope that helps

Last edited by hotjoint; 06-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #21

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
only place where a handjob doesn't suck is at a movie theatre, just not the same anywhere else.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #22
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:

lol but this isnt a thread about investing shares in the company...

its about using their services... who caers if its unsustainable... that means the customer wins at the end LOL.

just use their services till they end. the end.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
So hows the service so far?
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote