REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Leonard Krog running for mayor may topple NDP gov

https://www.cheknews.ca/leonard-krog...g-race-460345/

Quote:
Krog said he has been mulling over the idea of running to become Nanaimo’s mayor for several years but made his decision because of the political dysfunction at city hall.

“I think the final thing was that many people said to me ‘look I will run for council if you run for mayor but I’m not going to do it if you won’t’ and these are people I respect. These are people who would make excellent councillors,” Krog said.

If Krog becomes mayor, a byelection would be required in the Nanaimo riding. It is considered a safe NDP seat but a loss to the Liberals would leave Premier John Horgan’s minority government tied with the Opposition at 43 seats, with one independent. The NDP-Green Party alliance currently has a razor-thin majority in the legislature.

Krog said his decision to run had nothing to do with being left out of Horgan’s cabinet. He will not be resigning his seat as MLA as he runs for mayor but will forgo his salary during his one-month mayoral campaign period in the fall. The nomination period for B.C.’s general local elections is from Sept. 4 to Sept. 14 and the campaign starts on Sept. 22 until the general voting day on Oct. 20.

“There’s no sense in going through a byelection and it’s my intention also that I won’t draw [a] salary during the campaign period until such time as I do resign my seat if, in fact, I win,” Krog said.

Krog said Horgan was surprised when he told him about his intentions.

“This was not a discussion I had with him,” Krog said.

“It was a discussion I had with my wife in particular.”

Krog also said he is not worried about the slim lead the NDP and the Green Part have in the legislature if he does end up resigning.

“I don’t expect the NDP to lose the Nanaimo constituency. This is a new, young government. It’s popular.”

As for the mayoral race, Krog said he is excited about the prospects for the city and he hopes he is part of a more stable city council after the election on Oct. 20.

“There’s been a long-standing challenge in the city and Leonard believes – and many, many, many people believe – that he is the best person to address that,” Horgan said during a news conference in Grand Forks, B.C.

“I wish him all the best and I know that he’ll be continuing his duties as MLA to continue to represent the citizens of Nanaimo until the election period begins in the fall.”
If he wins (good chance he will) he will probably resign his seat and cause a by election. If the liberals win the seat they will have more seats than the NDP and Greens combined. He could keep his MLA seat and be mayor, former mayor and pirate Frank Ney did but I doubt it.
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Current seat count:

Libs - 43
NDP - 41
Green - 3

If the libs won his seat the parties would be deadlocked @ Libs 43 and NDP/Green Coal. 43.

In a situation of deadlock the House speaker is then engaged to decide whether or not one party should form government or to call a by-election.. the most likely scenario would be a by-election.

Having said that, I would suggest that Nanaimo will most likely elect another NDP candidate.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
The speaker (independent who was kicked out of the Liberal party because he took the speaker's position) would have the deciding vote, but it's pretty much a lock that Nanaimo would elect NDP again.

Current seats are:
Liberals - 42
NDP - 41
Green - 3
Independent - 1
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
man if the govt switched to liberals kinder morgan would be so pissed they sold that pipeline
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote