REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Selling Vehicle for Friend

My good friend just secured a job overseas and is going back to pursue his career, and probably won't be back for a few years. He has a car here and wants to sell it later as his father is currently using it, but will be moving back also later in the year.

He wants me to help him sell it after his dad has left too, as his dad is older and lacks the online skills to post ad, show car, answer questions, etc. So my question is

1) Can he transfer the vehicle to me as a gift without taxes? (I would merely be selling it for him later and transferring him the funds after)

2) Can I be added as a joint owner on the vehicle and not have to pay taxes? (That way I can get his signature on the transfer form first, and I can sign the other half when I sell it)

Anyone with experience with this please chime in. Thanks
Advertisement
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

604-661-2800

You are going to have to call them regardless so why not just call them?
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

You can have your friends Dad pre-fill the transfer forms in advance.
Once it is ready to sell, enter the amount on there, submit.

It is not worth Evading tax. the purpose of gifting is not so other people can help them sell cars.

It will also register another owner when transferred.

Last edited by oldsnail; 06-16-2018 at 01:13 PM.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^This, pre-sign transfer forms. Do a few, in case mistakes happen when filling the rest of the thing out and that's it, they still own the car and you are just helping.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,550 Times in 4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
^This, pre-sign transfer forms. Do a few, in case mistakes happen when filling the rest of the thing out and that's it, they still own the car and you are just helping.
Just playing devil's advocate but that's the same reason curber's give when they're selling a car that's not in their name.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar situation. My friend wants to keep his car, but he will be back once a year. In the meanwhile he wants me to take care of the vehicle (authorizing maintenance, storage, drive it around here, replacing parts), but I understand to do those things I need to be the registered owner or at least be joint owner of the vehicle. I'm not purchasing the car at all but hes wants to add me as a registered owner so I can act on his behalf.
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar situation. My friend wants to keep his car, but he will be back once a year. In the meanwhile he wants me to take care of the vehicle (authorizing maintenance, storage, drive it around here, replacing parts), but I understand to do those things I need to be the registered owner or at least be joint owner of the vehicle. I'm not purchasing the car at all but hes wants to add me as a registered owner so I can act on his behalf.
I think for being on as a joint owner, there are there are things you can and can’t do. I think you can buy storage policy without the other owner. You can’t reduce certain things the ICBC coverage and so on. I would check with a broker or call ICBC.

You could probably help him buy day permits, if he provides you with like a Letter of authorization.