REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ICBC wrong CRS level

Hi guys,

I noticed my CRS level was 2 levels above what I should've been getting (currently at -7, should have been at -9). So I called customer service last Monday, they confirmed it's wrong, but they only backdated back to Nov 2017.

I got my learner back in Nov 2008, so discount should had started from that date, but ICBC record shows that my license was issued back in Sept 2010 (probably the date when I first got my N or when I got my first insurance?)

I have been overpaying 10% for the past 6 full years, and on and off from 2010-2012, if you do the math, that's at least $1000 that I overpaid.

I called ICBC customer service today again, the rep told me it's iCBC rules that they can only backdate this far back to Nov 2017. The rep pinned the fault to the broker, said that the broker should had called ICBC to adjust the date back then which doesn't make sense, ICBC screwed up my license issue date to begin with. I asked for the manager, he said he can fill out a request, and the manager will call me back with the same answer he told me.

Then I called the North Van head office customer relations, you can see the steps of escalation for the complaint here: Raising your complaints

The rep who answered the call told me the same thing, how it's ICBC policy that they can backdate so far, and they can't go back to when I first started paying for insurance. I asked to speak with a manager, and again I got the "manager will give me a call back"

I asked her, am I just gonna absorb the surcharge as a customer then when there is a mistake between either ICBC and the broker. There is no way I'm gonna go back to the original broker and ask them to re-compensate me of the cost, and it's not their fault. ICBC is the one that screwed up the discount level to begin with.

Anyone has any experience with this, or has friends, or family members had this happen to them?

It is so absurd to me that ICBC doesn't give a fuck about this, and their reps are assertive and unprofessional.

When I worked in retail, if a customer made a complaint, the manager is immediately on it, apologizes, and waives the charges for the customers.

When I'm on the receiving end, it seems like the customer service person is treating me like I'm the customer service person, and pointing the fingers at me.
Advertisement
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
mine is wrong by 1 year...they have a random date a month after I got my N
I've asked my broker about it but they just asked me to call ICBC...now that i'm at 43% max discount I don't really care any more
I doubt it's an easy process to ask money back from the government or even as simple as them changing it to reflect the correct date
( I believe day 1 since you got your license...even Class 7L counts)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,639 Times in 1,042 Posts
i tried to get some money back once. sold a MC, new owner took the papers to ICBC without me, got new plates and rode away. I didn't cancel my plates, because how can plates be registered to the same vin twice at the same time? Didn't notice for a few months that I was still getting dinged monthly for a bike that was now registered to a new owner.

I tried but got nothing back and I'd say you have very little chance of getting anything either This was a great lesson on my early driving years to always take 100% responsibility for making sure that everything is entered correctly and researched thoroughly before signing any ICBC papers, and to be thorough in all transactions with them including sales. You've just learned the same lesson in exchange for your $1000

I LOL'd reading the last 3 lines of your post - save yourself the stress and get over this part.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

They have always been a year off on mine and I have to get the insurance agent to phone and get confirmation to switch every single time. This year I insured 1 car in March, automatically put me at -9 and had to get the agent to phone to bring me up to -10. Then I insure my evo in may and somehow I'm still at -9, again phone to bring it back to -10. I wholeheartedly believe icbc does this shit on purpose to hose unsuspecting people and screw them out of their discount
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

They backdated the CRS level correctly to Nov 2017, so I'm getting a refund back for the past 7 months worth. but not for all of past years that I have been paying for insurances which I added to at least 6 whole years.

I think ICBC is doing this on purpose too.. oh well...

The problem is I don't have the time to fight it out with them, plus they probably will just ghost you. Unless you have a lot of time, to call or complain until you annoy the fuck out of them, they probably won't do anything. Even if you annoy the fuck out of them, they probably won't do anything either.

I just feel upset that they are gonna get away from this, they probably milked tons of people who don't pay attention like this.

I keep saying this, but wow, ICBC does not give a fuck, their reps are rude af which made this whole ordeal even worse. They are acting this way probably because they are a monopoly, so they can't get in trouble or lose customers.

If I was talking to a customer the way these reps were talking towards me, or if the lack of response from their managers were from my managers, both my managers and I would get a lot of troubles, probably fired. I just can't believe these staffs are gonna get away from these being unprofessional.

I just remember the one time when I was talking to a customer on the phone back then, customer complained about the service the last few times, which was our fault, I apologized on behalf of the company. The guy hung up, made a complaint against the company, I don't know how it got out so fast, the manager knew about it like 20 minutes after, asked me about the situation, and told us the waive the charge of the stuff he was buying which was quite expensive.

On the other hand, ICBC fucked up, employees being rude af, won't take care of their mistakes, and still won't get in troubles...

Last edited by anxiety; 06-18-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post

I think ICBC is doing this on purpose too.. oh well...

The problem is I don't have the time to fight it out with them, plus they probably will just ghost you. Unless you have a lot of time, to call or complain until you annoy the fuck out of them, they probably won't do anything. Even if you annoy the fuck out of them, they probably won't do anything either.

I just feel upset that they are gonna get away from this, they probably milked tons of people who don't pay attention like this.
strong username to post content ratio
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
every time i get insurance i tell them at the beginning that they'll need to call icbc to correct my discount, and they start the call right away to cut down waiting.

this is a new thing you have to do, they won't (or can't) fix it.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

had to call in twice because they shorted me 2 years aswell. The rep kept insisting it was correct, he even counted the years for me and i replied with " can you even count?" and he hung up on me.

2nd rep counted properly and adjusted it.

icbc trying to cover up their losses
ree666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:03 AM   #9
Ask me about killing a hobo and dumping his body in the river

If this made the news icbc would be under even more scrutiny, with all the shit thats been going on.
[18-02, 21:40] ICE BOY please come over and wrap me in your foreskin.
[18-10, 14:35] ZN6 Evo if you here: Say what your heart feels, cause those who matter don't mind, and those who mind shouldn't matter
[26-07, 14:46] ZN6 I gonna nibble on your scrotum

93 honda civic si (RIP)
2010 Evolution X (RIP)
2000 GMC Yukon XL SLT (RIP)
2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Overland build

2019 Kawasaki Ex 400(Summer Daily)
EvoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,504 Posts
So it's supposed to be when you get your Class 7L? I've been told by brokers and ICBC reps that it's from when you first insure a car, under your N
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 544 Posts
Would like clarification on this. I was under impression on when you get your N license. If it's supposed to be L I've been getting screwed.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
So it's supposed to be when you get your Class 7L? I've been told by brokers and ICBC reps that it's from when you first insure a car, under your N
It’s when you first get your Class 7L unless they’ve changed things but I doubt it.

Quote:
All new B.C. drivers start out on our claim-rated scale (CRS) at what's called a base rate (CRS level 0). Out-of-province drivers moving to B.C. may start at a different level based on their previous insurance history.
Your insurance discount gets better every year you don't have an at-fault crash - a Collision or Third Party Liability claim where you're found more than 25 per cent at fault.

Last edited by Jmac; 06-19-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
Recently insured a 2nd car and noticed I was getting a lower discount than my first car.
Went to an insurance place, they called ICBC and got it all sorted out. They told me they forgot to apply my 7L year for the 2nd car. ICBC sent me a cheque for what they owed me.
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

You start accumulating your discount once you get your learner. That's why it is encouraged to get your learner as soon as possible once you turn 16, so even if you don't drive, you can accumulate CRS levels year by year.

This was confirmed by the rep, basically after she checked when I first got my learners which was back in Nov 2008, she backdated my insurance back to the same month of last year, so I'm getting only 6-7 months of refund back to me (the amount that I overpaid).

Y'all got screwed hard, just like me, welcome to the party. I knew it should start at learner's stage, but ICBC still managed to screw me by not adjusting the date correctly so discount only started from Novice license issue date.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,504 Posts
In that case, I've been getting screwed out of 2 years as well. Smh

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #16

/devils advocate - CRS discount level should start the first time you insure a car in your own name and in BC, regardless of license level.

increasing your discount level while coasting on a learners license and crusing around the block in ma and pa's camry is the exact opposite of how the system should work /end rant
Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
/devils advocate - CRS discount level should start the first time you insure a car in your own name and in BC, regardless of license level.

increasing your discount level while coasting on a learners license and crusing around the block in ma and pa's camry is the exact opposite of how the system should work /end rant
So if you're the primary operator of a vehicle for 10 years without an accident, it shouldn't count because someone else insured it?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Just got my insurance reminder in the mail... I got my L in Feb of 2011 so I should be getting 35% if memory serves me correctly. Noticed it says 25% discount but that's what it also said last year

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #19

thought id chime in since i had a similar problem.

Unless you explicitly tell them to update (or check) your discount level it wont happen. T

A lot of people dont have the insurance renewal aligned with their drivers license age (if you will).

I orginially got my license in Sept, and one time when I had to renew my insurance, ICBC can do a 1 time change for it to back date it. The kicker for that is, its it will technically change your original issue date for your license.

Fast forward to getting my new car again. I find out my discount levels will be eligible every December not September which i had originally thought.

Sure the discount rate increased but the downside is they do change your original issue date. Instead of Sept, mine will say Dec now on both ICBC, and broker side.

And to answer your first question. Its not ICBC fault you didnt check your info is valid. That is between the brokerage and the signing party (IE You). Good brokers will check for you automatically,

Rant below
Spoiler!
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey

Last edited by kross9; 06-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
So if you're the primary operator of a vehicle for 10 years without an accident, it shouldn't count because someone else insured it?
I didn't consider the primary operator clause in my devils advocate statement.

Your CRS discount shouldn't begin until you become at least the primary operator of a vehicle.

The purpose of the discount is to reward claim free drivers as they become less susceptible to accidents as experience increases - I can't see an argument for achieving that discount without increasing driving experience.

But I'm old. I had my full license a month after my 16th birthday. Extended L's and N's weren't part of my driving history.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #21

Thanked 1,382 Times in 544 Posts
And bad brokers will give you false information saying that it accumulates when you get your N. I brought this up many years ago when I bought my first car and wondered why my CRS at the time didn't reflect my full years of having a license. Screw that broker, I took their information at face value and now realise I've overpaid for years on end now.

If now I'm at max discount. Is there any benefit left now to chase down the accurate date and CRS level? And who should I be approaching first to get this resolved.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
I didn't consider the primary operator clause in my devils advocate statement.

Your CRS discount shouldn't begin until you become at least the primary operator of a vehicle.

The purpose of the discount is to reward claim free drivers as they become less susceptible to accidents as experience increases - I can't see an argument for achieving that discount without increasing driving experience.

But I'm old. I had my full license a month after my 16th birthday. Extended L's and N's weren't part of my driving history.
I agree with this, your discount level should start to increase until your name is officially registered as primary operator or owner of the vehicle. As you said whos to say if you actually are driving and gathering experience.

Spoiler!
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote