REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 06-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,896 Posts
Three adults in polyamorous family are legal parents of child - Newfoundland

OK, WTH is going on here? One woman and 2 men are legally recognized as parents within their 'polyamorous' family.

Three adults in polyamorous family are legal parents of child, says Newfoundland judge | National Post

In this case, the St. John’s family includes two men in a relationship with the mother of a child born in 2017.

“Society is continuously changing and family structures are changing along with it,” says the decision, by Justice Robert Fowler of the Newfoundland and Labrador Supreme Court’s family division.

“This must be recognized as a reality and not as a detriment to the best interests of the child.

Is this a redneck Newfie thing or is this what our society is moving towards? 25 years ago, one of the arguments against gay marriage was that if you recognize that as a marriage, then what is to stop multiple people declaring themselves as a family? (It was seen as a ridiculous strawman argument back then). This morning I wake up and sure enough ...

Things in society are moving WAY faster than I can wrap my mind around.

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
2018 is very interesting
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,798 Times in 981 Posts
I have a friend who is in this exact scenario.. she has twins, and lives with two male "co-parents". One is technically the husband (and father), but the other lives with them and they do everything together.

I was always a proponent of either keeping marriage with the traditional definition, since a biological male and female seem to on average provide the best outcome for a child, or removing the definition completely. The path we're on now, I see no reason that polyamorous or incestuous should be illegal. There was a case in south america where 4 dudes were fighting for the right to be married. I mean, with the vancouver house prices these days, forget being a DINK.. it's all about the QINK

Last edited by freakshow; 06-20-2018 at 02:40 PM.
freakshow is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Is this a redneck Newfie thing or is this what our society is moving towards? 25 years ago, one of the arguments against gay marriage was that if you recognize that as a marriage, then what is to stop multiple people declaring themselves as a family? (It was seen as a ridiculous strawman argument back then). This morning I wake up and sure enough ...
It's still a ridiculous strawman argument. The two are completely unrelated, and it's not like legally declaring it as a marriage suddenly causes it to start happening. Gay and poly relationships have existed for a long, long time, all legally recognizing it does is give people things like medical benefits or legal guardianship over a child.

Or are you naive enough to think that gay couples weren't living together in exactly the same way before they could be legally married? Similarly with this poly relationship, I doubt their living arrangements (ie poly vs married couple and a "roommate", same thing) or how the child is raised would be any different if this wasn't recognized. But now any of them could sign the kids permission slip for a field trip or something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
sorry didn't read the whole thing nor researched but since its a poly...is there are limit?

i read the family law of BC and it doesn't say, it does say one must be pay support for a member’s child, particularly where the child’s primary residence was the polyamorous household.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
I'm just sitting here wondering if the kid was conceived during a double drilling.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Human society has always been polygamous to some degree -- the rich and powerful have always had multiple "partners" in various cultures, be they formal and legitimate arrangements or something illegitimate outside of wedlock. In that sense, I don't think anyone should be surprised that polygamy continues to exist. Personally, I see no reason why it should be banned as long as all parties involved are of legal age of majority, willingly participate in that kind of arrangement, and is not being exploited in any manner.

The Bountiful cases were fxxked up because the polygamous relationship involved minors, brainwashing, (twisted) religion, and a bunch of other fxxked up stuff.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I have a friend who is in this exact scenario.. she has twins, and lives with two male "co-parents". One is technically the husband (and father), but the other lives with them and they do everything together.

I was always a proponent of either keeping marriage with the traditional definition, since a biological male and female seem to on average provide the best outcome for a child, or removing the definition completely. The path we're on now, I see no reason that polyamorous or incestuous should be illegal. There was a case in south america where 4 dudes were fighting for the right to be married. I mean, with the vancouver house prices these days, forget being a DINK.. it's all about the QINK
So in your friends case are they all fucking or what
Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,395 Times in 550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I'm just sitting here wondering if the kid was conceived during a double drilling.
Did you mean to say there was drilling in multiple oil patches or was there a doubling up of drilling on the same oil patch at the same time?
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,896 Posts
Don't know how many drilling there was and if it was the same time but here is one line from the article:

The April 4 decision says the unconventional family has been together for three years, but the biological father of the child is unknown.

Of course, this has been going for thousands of years ... the point of this that this now constitutes a definition of a family. It used to be one man, one woman. Then it could be one man and one man (or one woman and woman) ... not it can be x number of men with x number of women ... as a definition of family.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,798 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So in your friends case are they all fucking or what
lol.. I didn't really ask. Funny thing is that I mentioned it to my dad, who is now 74, and the first thing he says is 'that must be a party every night'

She uses the #polyfam IG tag all the time if you wanna see other families with a similar arrangement.. no clue as to the sleeping arrangements..
Old 06-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Hard enough keeping one spouse happy. People are now voluntarily seeking 2 or more? At least the rich and powerful of yesteryear could lock them all up in a Harem and only see their concubines when they wanted to...for threesomes or whatever.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Hard enough keeping one spouse happy. People are now voluntarily seeking 2 or more? At least the rich and powerful of yesteryear could lock them all up in a Harem and only see their concubines when they wanted to...for threesomes or whatever.
I’m sure it’s cheaper to pay a hooker to play the role of 3rd wheel then maintain an ongoing relationship lol
Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
LOL 2 cucks sharing sloppy seconds, no thanks.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
LOL 2 cucks sharing sloppy seconds, no thanks.
Your comment reminded me of this.

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: