REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Cyclist's Bike Gets Totalled by Tanker truck (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715057-cyclists-bike-gets-totalled-tanker-truck.html)

Manic! 07-11-2018 12:32 PM

Cyclist's Bike Gets Totalled by Tanker truck

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/caught-on-cam-...uver-1.4001733

Quote:

anker truck that ended with the bicycle being flattened by the massive vehicle and the cyclist narrowly avoiding injury.

The incident occurred in front of the Mobil gas station adjacent to the Real Canadian Superstore on Rupert Street at Grandview Highway.

The video shows the truck going straight in the right hand lane as the cyclist rides beside him in a marked bike lane. The trucker signals, then turns right second later, cutting off the female cyclist who stopped short of running into the fuel trailer, but close enough that her front wheel was caught in its tires, pulling in the bike under and crushing it as it kept going without pause.
Photos
bike crushed by tanker truck

This image was taken from a video that shows a tanker truck running over a bicycle in East Vancouver. (Joshua Fan / YouTube)

"People are just really shocked by it and it becomes personal because you think it could be me," Richard Campbell of the BC Cycling Coalition told CTV News Friday.

The video ends with the totalled bike lying on the curb as the vehicle pulls away.

Cycling advocates say the incident is yet another reminder of why roads need to be made safer for those on two wheels, including keeping double trailers with large blind spots out of high-traffic areas.

"I think it's just too tough for a driver to manage with everything going on," Campbell said. "I think banning those trucks in situations like this would be great."

It's a move the federal government is considering as part of an ongoing analysis it calls the "Vulnerable Road Users and Heavy Vehicle Countermeasures Project."

An online summary of the initiative cites "gradually limiting the flow of vehicles with high blind spots in designated areas" as one potential way of protecting cyclists and pedestrians in collision-prone areas.

The project was prompted by the dump-truck related deaths of cyclists in Ottawa and Montreal.

In Vancouver, where bike lanes remain one of the most divisive issues in municipal politics, cyclists are often blamed for questionable manoeuvres on the road. But in the case, the general consensus is that the truck driver was at fault—even among those in the trucking industry.

"(The cyclist) was next to him for a good amount of time, so he should've been able to see her," said Ana Bilbija of the Gold Star Professional Driving School.

According to Bilbija, trained drivers have to know how to handle the height of the cab and be able to assess how close everyone is around them, but they also consistently have to check their mirrors for blind spots.

"When you're operating a big piece of equipment like that, you have to check those mirrors constantly and that's what we teach our students," she said. "You've got to check them every two, three seconds."

Vancouver police said they have not been made aware of Thursday's incident and are not currently investigating.

Digitalis 07-11-2018 12:42 PM

How about you dont ride on roads that big trucks drive on? I always take the side roads.

whitev70r 07-11-2018 12:54 PM

Bit late to the party. Under bad/sh*tty driver thread about a week ago already.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/6547...ml#post8909677

fliptuner 07-11-2018 01:45 PM

Yup. Ban trucks from the city. I want to pay $4 for an apple.

Mr.HappySilp 07-11-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8910643)
Yup. Ban trucks from the city. I want to pay $4 for an apple.

Or have to throw your own garbage at the city dump.

ScizzMoney 07-11-2018 01:58 PM

People just have to realize that if you can't see the trucker in the side mirror, s/he can't see you. The passenger side has quite the blind spots too.

68style 07-11-2018 01:59 PM

LOL people get their hair on fire so easily nowadays, geez, 1 bicycle gets crushed how often a decade in a city full of millions of people constantly moving around in all sizes of vehicle? It's bound to happen once in awhile... snore zzzzzzzz

fliptuner 07-11-2018 02:59 PM

Its pretty obvious, the cyclist should've stood his ground cause he has the right of way. I mean being killed or maimed is secondary to being right.

quasi 07-11-2018 02:59 PM

The trucker should watch his mirrors but at the same time the cyclist also needs to be aware of her surroundings.

I haven't been riding motorcycles for almost 20 years by just assuming everybody see's me, right of way ain't going to do shit for me when I'm dead.

Here lies Chad, he was a good husband and father he died unexpectedly when he had the right of way but was crushed by a semi and all his organs poured onto the street.

lowside67 07-11-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalis (Post 8910637)
How about you dont ride on roads that big trucks drive on? I always take the side roads.

Seriously? There are a billion examples of road bikers disregarding the rules of the road but I don't see any here.

That biker literally passed the truck safely, in a designated, separate bike lane, the truck then catches up to her, turns into her, and then runs over her bike as she is jumping out of the way and that's somehow the biker's fault and they should ride on other roads?

-Mark (who drives a car a lot more than he rides a bike)

Great68 07-11-2018 03:54 PM

Yes truck driver is 100% at fault, but the cyclist could have protected herself better instead of just standing there watching her bike get crushed.

Like If that truck was turning in front of me, I would have immediately stopped/pulled a hard right away from the path of the trailer.

Hondaracer 07-11-2018 04:36 PM

or realize whats happening and pull your bike out of the way

seems like she stood there thinking this is a movie or some shit and i couldnt possibly get run over by this massive tanker truck

twitchyzero 07-11-2018 06:30 PM

I ride up and down that street often..never had issues

i'm quite sure the cyclist thought the truck had almost finished turning and she was in the clear...only for it to get rekt by the second barrel/trailer
so when you know you're in someone's blindspot and they aint stopping...MOVE quickly

welfare 07-11-2018 08:06 PM

BAHAHAGAHAGAHA!!!
Priceless

MG1 07-11-2018 08:51 PM

Video stopped too soon. I wanted to see if the EV charging station was empty or not at that time of the day.

That's all I care about.

bcrdukes 07-11-2018 09:00 PM

Damn hipsters.

Digitalis 07-12-2018 03:24 PM

Yup screw the big roads and big lanes i've known too many people that have hit busses trucks etc. I dont care what someone else dictates as "law" or "lanes for bikes" I use common sense.
If they made a bike lane with clearance like the patullo you gonna ride it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8910664)
Seriously? There are a billion examples of road bikers disregarding the rules of the road but I don't see any here.

That biker literally passed the truck safely, in a designated, separate bike lane, the truck then catches up to her, turns into her, and then runs over her bike as she is jumping out of the way and that's somehow the biker's fault and they should ride on other roads?

-Mark (who drives a car a lot more than he rides a bike)

twitchyzero 07-12-2018 08:22 PM

this is a wide-open 2-lane roadway with an obvious greenly marked bike lane on a clear day

shoulder check before right turns and before opening driver side doors in street parking

not too difficult

z3german 07-13-2018 06:10 AM

Right of way sure, but fuck it, I have 0 sympathy for the cyclist.

I agree with HondaRacer, truck had its blinkers on as soon as he passed the intersection. The cyclist had a very good chunk of time to see his blinkers and react accordingly. Even beyond blinkers, as soon as the front wheels turned the cyclist could have reacted better.

Like quasi, I used to ride motorcycles and the mental training dedicated riders have in regards to safety make us extra aware of our surroundings. RIP John.... he was one of the most safety oriented riders out there taking safety classes every year for fun... Its the risk of choosing to be on the road whether you are a truck, car, biker, cyclist, ped. We arn't out there trying to get dedicated motorcycle lanes...

I am sick of this cyclist babying bullshit. Want a start in improving safety for cyclist? Why not start by having mandatory bike licenses that restrict road access for cyclists until they are tested to understand the rules of the road? Every other mode of transport had this...

Great68 07-13-2018 07:55 AM

Bike lanes are designated lanes of traffic.
Legally the cyclist shouldn't need to "react" to anything, the onus 100% is on the truck driver to ensure he crosses into the lane safely.

Truck driver fucked up and didn't see the cyclist, that's all there is to it.

The fact that the cyclist could have shown more awareness herself is besides the point, but fault in this situation does not fall on her.

68style 07-13-2018 08:18 AM

Yah... but... like when I drive up to an intersection where I know the other people turning left can't really see me very well, it's 100% their responsibility to clear their turn and clear the intersection and if they were to turn in front of me and I hit them they would be 100% at fault................ but I still cover the brake and sometimes even cut 10-15km/h off my speed depending how busy it is as I go through because I don't want to risk my car and my life pretending that everyone else should be doing everything properly all the time. Likewise on a motorcycle, I always expect cars to do something shitty, who knows how many times that has saved me... you're not going to win when push comes to shove.

Cyclist is in the right, no question about it, but they need to learn some survival skills and stop pretending the rules are a gauntlet of protection against everything. If I was them I would have slowed up and I wouldn't have gotten my bicycle crushed or nearly died.

Great68 07-13-2018 08:44 AM

No doubt, I already said multiple times the cyclist could have have better situational awareness, but to say there's "no sympathy" for her when the truck was 100% in the wrong is unnecessarily harsh, almost vindictive against cyclists.

If that bike lane were a vehicle lane instead, and that truck did the same thing and drove over the hood of a car would there be "no sympathy" for the car driver because they "should have known better and stopped for the truck"?

MG1 07-13-2018 09:49 AM

Truck driver’s fault, for sure. 100%. However, the biker chick was a little slow to react. She was like WTF? Instead of getting out of the way. Maybe she was thinking god would intervene. You’d figure someone on a bike would be a little more spry. She didn’t look like some helpless senior, lol. Just my two bits.

freakshow 07-13-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8910863)
Truck driver fucked up and didn't see the cyclist, that's all there is to it.

Initially, the truck driver was 100% at fault, no doubt. But does it matter than the biker was able to stop in time, despite not being their fault initially, but then proceeded to wait in a dangerous spot while they were perfect capable of moving?
If they were hit while biking as the truck was turning, then I would be ok with "that's all there is to it"

I almost see it as a secondary incident. At first, the truck driver was at fault, but he didn't hit the biker. now as the truck is turning, and there is a biker stopped close to the truck, does it not then become their responsibility to not get crushed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8910863)
If that bike lane were a vehicle lane instead, and that truck did the same thing and drove over the hood of a car would there be "no sympathy" for the car driver because they "should have known better and stopped for the truck"?

Similarly, if a truck was turning, and a biker pulled up and stopped in the exact same spot, and didn't move as the truck finished the turn, there would surely be no sympathy for the biker. The biker stayed there out of defiance or bewilderment, but I'm not sure that means he wasn't at fault as well since he had already stopped.

Great68 07-13-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8910885)

Similarly, if a truck was turning, and a biker pulled up and stopped in the exact same spot, and didn't move as the truck finished the turn,

Invalid scenario. The truck driver is crossing the lane, it's his job to ensure the bike lane is clear and he won't impede cyclists travelling in the lane, meaning he should have stopped in his lane and not even initiate the turn until the bike lane is clear enough for his trailer to make it through, a cyclist should not be made to stop at all.

Again, you treat a bike lane no differently than a vehicle lane. Just because bikes move slow doesn't mean you get to turn in front of them and make them stop for you.