REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Traffic Alert (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715066-traffic-alert.html)

MG1 07-13-2018 09:32 AM

Traffic Alert

A thread dedicated to huge traffic congestions.

Lions Gate Bridge closed this morning. It affects a whole bunch of arteries. Hastings is a nightmare and so is Hwy 1. On top of this, lights are down on Hastings and the Connector to Hwy 1. I mean people are trying to obey the 4 way stop rule, but that’s easier said than done with four lanes in all directions. Hopefully police will arrive soon.

I was heading west on Hastings when I heard about the congestion at Hastings. I went along Pender Street and kept on going to the end. Once on whatever that road is called, turned onto Hastings. The two left lanes were essentially empty, as everyone is trying to get on to the Ironworker’s Bridge. First Avenue being closed doesn’t help, but it isn’t totally closed. One lane from Boundary to Nanaimo and it’s pretty clear, as most people are just avoiding it.

MG1 07-13-2018 09:42 AM

I’m charging at Empire Fields and the left lane eastbound looks to be lined up as far as the eye can see. Lots of horns honking as the lights being down is making it impossible for people to turn left onto the bridge road.

yray 07-13-2018 09:46 AM

worlds fucked

dachinesedude 07-13-2018 10:05 AM

lions gate bridge closed due to "police incident", we got a jumper?

Liquid_o2 07-13-2018 11:32 AM

Was a potential jumper. I think they just talked him out of it and took him away in an ambulance.

highfive 07-13-2018 11:37 AM

It’s going to be worse down the road when they take away the viaducts one day

MG1 07-13-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 (Post 8910898)
Was a potential jumper. I think they just talked him out of it and took him away in an ambulance.

That one person created all kinds of chaos today. It could have caused others to be injured or killed. An emergency response team not being able to make it to a house or to a treatment centre, for example.

I'm glad they talked the person out of it, but should there not be obstacles in place to prevent jumpers from even getting on the bridge? There's only two bridges connecting travellers to and from the North Shore, Ferries, Whistler, etc. 4 hours is more like eight hours worth of congestion.

It's like one headlight being out. If the other one goes, you're travelling blind.

Anyway, what can they do to this person? They're already in a bad way...........

Ch28 07-13-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8910917)
That one person created all kinds of chaos today. It could have caused others to be injured or killed. An emergency response team not being able to make it to a house or to a treatment centre, for example.

I'm glad they talked the person out of it, but should there not be obstacles in place to prevent jumpers from even getting on the bridge? There's only two bridges connecting travellers to and from the North Shore, Ferries, Whistler, etc. 4 hours is more like eight hours worth of congestion.

It's like one headlight being out. If the other one goes, you're travelling blind.

Anyway, what can they do to this person? They're already in a bad way...........

Suicide barriers like Ironworkers bridge or just shove em off and be done with it. People that really want to commit suicide will do so. Attention seekers will do it and inconvenience an entire city.

Gnomes 07-13-2018 06:17 PM

I like how in Japan, suicider just go to a forest and do their business without inconveniencing the public. Much more considerate than some of these people who seeks attention. Seriously, if one wants to die here, there's so much ways to kill yourself than jumping a bridge during rush hour.

Infiniti 07-14-2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 8910942)
I like how in Japan, suicider just go to a forest and do their business without inconveniencing the public. Much more considerate than some of these people who seeks attention. Seriously, if one wants to die here, there's so much ways to kill yourself than jumping a bridge during rush hour.

Also, in Japan if you take your own life by jumping in front of a train. Your family is fined a large amount for the inconvenience it causes to the public.

twitchyzero 07-14-2018 04:48 AM

celebrity commits suicide: we need more resources in mental health
jumper on the bridge: attention seeking much? do it phaggot

HansonBoy 07-14-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8910923)
Suicide barriers like Ironworkers bridge or just shove em off and be done with it. People that really want to commit suicide will do so. Attention seekers will do it and inconvenience an entire city.

I'm going to call BS on that unless you have some sort of degree or credential in psych. For all we know it could've been someone going through a bad patch or breakup, and was acting impulsively. classic case of a careless statement on the internet.

Badhobz 07-14-2018 09:58 AM

ALERT ALERT ALERT

dont come to richmond. god damn, i almost got killed twice today just getting milk from save on. i really need a helm mounted dash cam for my stinking scooter. at least then revscene can avenge me if i get crushed by a fucking c-lai in her G wagon.

UnknownJinX 07-14-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 8910942)

It's a part of the Japanese culture: Don't inconvenience others.

Hondaracer 07-14-2018 11:37 AM

20 minutes ago guy in a stupid car modo stopped dead on the south bound center lane of the iron workers...

urrh 07-15-2018 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8911004)
ALERT ALERT ALERT

dont come to richmond. god damn, i almost got killed twice today just getting milk from save on. i really need a helm mounted dash cam for my stinking scooter. at least then revscene can avenge me if i get crushed by a fucking c-lai in her G wagon.

you're a braver man than i am. i've never brought my scooter into richmond

Infiniti 07-15-2018 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8911021)
20 minutes ago guy in a stupid car modo stopped dead on the south bound center lane of the iron workers...

Probably wanted to take some pictures of the scenery from the bridge

68style 07-15-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8911004)
ALERT ALERT ALERT

Sympathize, also live here and have a motorcycle... I recently spent a whole year driving a beater car with a horn that didn't work and never realized how often you need to use one here even just for your own safety let alone people's stupidity. Really good lesson in anger management when you are suddenly incapable of expressing your displeasure with the incompetence of others though!

Make sure to leave it in your will that whoever becomes responsible for your earthly remains has to come to RS and post the video, I want to know if you choose "WHY?" "Oh fuck!" or "Aiya" as your last words :fullofwin:

GS8 07-16-2018 11:20 AM

Some years ago, I was working at a TV station as a robotic camera operator for a news show. Not only did I have control over the studio cameras, I also had control over remote cameras (usually on top of hotels).

Additionally, part of my job was looking at the traffic cameras throughout the GVRD to pay attention for accidents or anomalies. I did not have control over these, only the Transportation Authority did.. One of those cameras was on the Lions Gate Bridge.

While looking for a beauty shot to take the show to break, I saw something occur out of the corner of my eye on the Lions Gate feed monitor which was directly above my remote camera monitor. Happened quick so I couldn't quite make it out. I then saw a huge splash in the water.

Didn't take long but I saw a body surfacing, floating upside down in the water. A blue coat and blue jeans is what he was wearing. It took the police literally 10 minutes to arrive by boat, remove the body and leave the scene.

The whole incident didn't even last 15 minutes but that whole sequence of events is forever burned in my mind.

Mining 07-17-2018 10:40 AM

Car Fire in Massey Tunnel (7:39 AM - July 17)

minoru_tanaka 07-18-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8910923)

https://i.imgur.com/0QQgvsk.gif

fliptuner 07-27-2018 05:55 AM

Westminster closed between Shell and 4rd, due to fire in a nearby park.

Badhobz 07-27-2018 08:00 AM

Smokey air. I'm not looking forward to the shit show going home tonight. Better take Arthur Lang bang.

whitev70r 07-27-2018 08:24 AM

WAZE is your friend people.

JSALES 07-27-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8912774)
Westminster closed between Shell and 4rd, due to fire in a nearby park.

Was wondering what that strong smell of smoke was when I left work this morning at 5 am