REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The official NDP is screwing us thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715096-official-ndp-screwing-us-thread.html)

twitchyzero 07-24-2018 09:19 PM

too bad US Crossing as well as Trader Joe's are some of the bigger threads here

they'll blow up some more if we get over 85c again :troll:

mom and pops I can support...as well as regional brands like Overwaitea and MEC

do I go out of my way to fly Air Canada or eat Timbits? ha.

Tapioca 07-24-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8912319)
You know what I've started to realize? From reading this thread, the real estate, and Trump threads, we all post a lot. We post a lot, but we don't do anything about what we are preaching on this forum.

We all agree this situation in Vancouver is a major problem, but what are we doing about it other than posting on an online forum? I'm actually genuinely curious if we as a group can do something about pushing a new agenda in Vancouver, and organizing behind it. This is a serious question, short of voting, is there something we as a group can genuinely do to elicit change in this city?

Maybe those in power are smarter than we give them credit for in that the problem is far beyond the capability of one level of government to solve?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8912351)
I am not disagreeing with any of the things you say here, but when a regular citizen have to put in that much effort and time into getting himself heard, it really begs they question of why it has to be that way. In a sense, it is no different than HappySlip saying in some other thread that you need to be within the top 5% of the earning bracket to be able to afford a house in Vancouver. And gosh... it really shouldn't be that way. Not for buying houses, and not to get yourself heard by the politicians who are supposed to look after the citizens' interests.

For a regular joe with a regular family and regular family and personal responsibilities, who can afford as much time and resources to do that?

There are many who are not in the top 5%, have regular jobs, have children, and are making their voices heard. You would be surprised how often elected officials browse Facebook community groups and actually engage in conversation with regular folk.

There are two people under the age of 30 who have announced their intention to run for Mayor in their respective municipalities in the Lower Mainland. Why aren't there more? What's stopping people here from running for council? I see so much shit-talking of politicians all of the time... maybe it's time for some to put their money where their mouths
are? The race for council in Vancouver is as wide-open as it has been in a generation. In fact, we are seeing an unprecedented number of councilors and mayors in Metro Vancouver who have announced that they won't be running in October.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Loc (Post 8912354)
Not to mention that if you DO protest, all of the closet six-figure earners come out of the woodwork and say things like "not at work on __day, no wonder you're not doing well" or "get a job". As if it is impossible in this day and age to take a paid day off...

Protest and making yourself heard are different things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8912363)
I think voting is the only way to communicate effectively to your politicians. 100% of the motivations that go into every decision can be linked back to the goal of winning the next election. There is no better example of that than the fear of losing the taxi driver vote in key ridings. That is the only reason why we still have no ridesharing.

In my career I work with governments and crowns and let me tell you that often times the most logical decision is never made because it isn't the best decision politics-wise. If it's not politically smart, it's a political risk. In public sector, risk = bad.

If you really want to make a difference, put efforts into increasing voter turnout. Encourage your friends and family to vote. Volunteer at election time. Not only do 40% of voters not bother to vote, it's usually the baby boomers that vote more than millennials, so the younger generations are stuck with the consequences of that. We started to see a shift of that in the last election. I can't wait for the day when someone comes up with online voting versus in-person, that will be a game changer.

Voting is only one way to be heard. Voting is important, but so is civic engagement. The extent of civic engagement acts a barometer for politicians.

Traum 07-24-2018 11:00 PM

So this just happened today, and it is infuriating:

https://www.news1130.com/2018/07/24/...ower-approval/

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A controversial 400-feet tall tower is one step closer to becoming a reality after Vancouver council voted in favour of the development Tuesday afternoon.

Council approved the project in a 6-3 vote, but added one condition: all units would have to be rental housing.

If developer PavCo does not agree to the terms, the tower will only be allowed to be 300-feet high, which is the current limit.

The amendment was introduced by Councillor Raymond Louie from Vision Vancouver.
https://www.news1130.com/wp-content/...2/skyline2.png

WTF Raymond Louie? The view corridor is a huge part of Vancouver's public image to the outside world. This guy has been in council for too long, and has gotten far too comfortable. Time to kick his a$$ out.

CivicBlues 07-25-2018 08:35 AM

I dunno, I'm a bit of a skyscraper geek and our viewcones are a joke and make this city's skyline look like a 3rd world Latin American city's- an amorphous white/green blob of residential towers with unsightly balconies. I know this proposal is just more residential, but what we really need is a high quality, sleek office tower or two to dominate the skyline again. Otherwise we're just Sao Paulo with more rain.

FFS there are going to be taller buildings in Burnaby being built. Is there any other city in North America where a suburb has the tallest building?

Hondaracer 07-25-2018 09:01 AM

Trump is 70, (minus the 13, and 4’s..)

Think it’s still the highest

CivicBlues 07-25-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8912467)
Trump is 70, (minus the 13, and 4’s..)

Think it’s still the highest

Fucking RS keeps logging me out before I can post. Is this happening to anyone else?

Anyways:

Are you talking about # of stories? That's an unreliable measure due to the stupid missing '4' floors phenomenon here. Not to mention ceiling height variation.

Tallest is still Shangri-La built in 2008 at 196.9 meters. Trump is #2 at 187.8 m

Gilmore Place proposed in Burnaby is set to overtake them both at 214.8 meters.

Check these threads out:

https://urbanyvr.com/onni-burnaby-gilmore-place-condos

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=225921

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214585

Hondaracer 07-25-2018 09:20 AM

There was some shit on the over all height relative to the surrounding area as well because shangrila is on the top side of Georgia where trump is below

I think you’re right in the heights but this was an argument I always heard working there

yray 07-25-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8912464)
I dunno, I'm a bit of a skyscraper geek and our viewcones are a joke and make this city's skyline look like a 3rd world Latin American city's- an amorphous white/green blob of residential towers with unsightly balconies. I know this proposal is just more residential, but what we really need is a high quality, sleek office tower or two to dominate the skyline again. Otherwise we're just Sao Paulo with more rain.

FFS there are going to be taller buildings in Burnaby being built. Is there any other city in North America where a suburb has the tallest building?

it's hongcouver just trying to be hong kong

https://expatliving.hk/wp-content/up...Apartments.jpg

CivicBlues 07-25-2018 09:29 AM

At least Hong Kong has cool as fuck landmark skyscrapers which are the tallest in the city. We're just going to end up looking like these places:

Sao Paulo:
https://img.theculturetrip.com/714x4..._b-650x365.jpg

Fortaleza:
http://www.samburapraiahotel.com.br/...2522835271.png

CivicBlues 07-25-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8912470)
There was some shit on the over all height relative to the surrounding area as well because shangrila is on the top side of Georgia where trump is below

I think you’re right in the heights but this was an argument I always heard working there

lol, Shangri-la and Trump are literally across the street from each other, how much variation could there be? A few feet?

If we're going by elevation, the tallest building may be One Wall Centre as it's on the high point on Burrard and Nelson.

Traum 07-25-2018 10:06 AM

I hate driving through Kingsway between Wellingdon to probably Nelson now. The towers on both sides are imposing and suffocating. Standing on ground level, you're supposed to see the sky, not with skyscrapers closing down on you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8912464)

twitchyzero 07-25-2018 12:35 PM

angryguyyellsatcloud.jpg

there's only 3 tall towers on the street from wellingdon to nelson?

CivicBlues 07-25-2018 02:20 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/bN4CSUK4xbn

Yeah it's like freaking Manhattan out there now

GS8 07-25-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8912469)
Fucking RS keeps logging me out before I can post. Is this happening to anyone else?

Happening a lot with me. Thought it was something on my end.

RIP RS, no salvation spared.

MG1 07-25-2018 03:55 PM

Willingdon........ or Wellington, not a combo of the two. Just saiyan.

One is in Vancouver and the other in Burnaby.

Like Smith and Smithe, I suppose. Close enough and nobody gives a shit until you have to look for a place on those streets, lol.

Anyway, carry on carrying on.

Lomac 07-25-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8912363)
I think voting is the only way to communicate effectively to your politicians. 100% of the motivations that go into every decision can be linked back to the goal of winning the next election. There is no better example of that than the fear of losing the taxi driver vote in key ridings. That is the only reason why we still have no ridesharing.

In my career I work with governments and crowns and let me tell you that often times the most logical decision is never made because it isn't the best decision politics-wise. If it's not politically smart, it's a political risk. In public sector, risk = bad.

If you really want to make a difference, put efforts into increasing voter turnout. Encourage your friends and family to vote. Volunteer at election time. Not only do 40% of voters not bother to vote, it's usually the baby boomers that vote more than millennials, so the younger generations are stuck with the consequences of that. We started to see a shift of that in the last election. I can't wait for the day when someone comes up with online voting versus in-person, that will be a game changer.

The problem with using elections as your platform for voicing your displeasure is that you're potentially punishing a party or individual 100% for possibly only one or two things that you didn't agree with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8912506)
https://goo.gl/maps/bN4CSUK4xbn

Yeah it's like freaking Manhattan out there now

You kidding? It's exactly like the corner of Water St!

https://goo.gl/maps/dB52BgNhitK2

:facepalm:

minoru_tanaka 07-26-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8912521)
You kidding? It's exactly like the corner of Water St!

https://goo.gl/maps/dB52BgNhitK2

:facepalm:

I haven't been to Gastown in a while, so many new towers. Dam NDP

CivicBlues 07-26-2018 08:26 AM

Yes Lomac, going by the google link I posted, I was in fact...kidding. LUL

quasi 07-26-2018 09:22 AM

Doesn't really affect me as this isn't our area of construction but letter from Vancouver Regional Construction Association. The letter isn't going to do shit as the NDP has never given a shit about how many tax dollars they spend appeasing union minorities but if you're curious.

https://my.vrca.ca/News/2018/OpenLet...rganonCBAs.pdf

Quote:

July 26, 2018
Honourable John Horgan
Premier of British Columbia
West Annex Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC
V8V 1X4

Re: Open Letter on Union-Only Monopoly Hiring Deals for Public Construction Projects

Dear Premier Horgan and Cabinet:

On July 16, your government announced sweeping changes to government procurement policy by bringing back restrictive and regressive 1990s-style project labour agreements. We are writing to express our deep concern over this departure from the fair, open and transparent process that has successfully built our province over much of its history.

In partnership with government, the Building Trades Unions have established the Allied Infrastructure and Related Construction Council of BC that will enter into contracts on behalf of workers. Gone is the right of workers to choose whether or not to join a union and which union to join.

Under your new model, within 30 days of employment on the job site, any non-union worker or a worker from another affiliation is forced to join a government approved union for work specific to the project.

Your government’s new policy gives the Building Trades Unions a monopoly on government-funded construction projects, beginning with the $1.4 billion Pattullo Bridge replacement project followed by other major taxpayer-funded infrastructure projects.

BC’s construction industry is diverse, with 85 percent of the nearly 250,000 men and women working in construction choosing to not be affiliated with the BC Building Trades Unions. Wages, training opportunities and diversity in the workforce are the same across the board and are not dependent on whether or not workers are represented by the Building Trades, a progressive union or are non-union.

This Building Trades-only hiring policy puts an end to fair, open and transparent procurement. No matter how a construction company organizes its workforce, every company should have the right to bid and win government work.

Your government’s new model also involves creating a new Crown corporation, BC Infrastructure Benefits Inc. Another layer of bureaucratic red tape is not how we build a better province.

We were disappointed that nowhere in the documents explaining the new policy was there a reference to best value for taxpayers being one of the criteria that government will use to select contractors to design and build infrastructure. According to a study commissioned by the Vancouver Board of Trade, labour costs under the 1990s model increased by almost 40 percent.
With government projects planned over the next three years expected to cost $25.6 billion, your CBA framework could add an additional $2.4 billion to $4.8 billion in additional labour costs according to recent estimates by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business. This translates into $1,998 to $3,996 for a family of four. And for the Pattullo Bridge project alone, the CBA approach could result in an additional $130 million to $259 million in extra costs, or an extra $113 to $216 for a BC family of four.

This may be an old-fashioned idea, but we strongly believe that one of government’s primary obligations is to ensure fairness in procurement and that taxpayers are getting the best value for every dollar spent.
The undersigned business associations and non-affiliated unions respectfully request that you abandon this ill-conceived and ill-advised procurement model where workers, construction contractors and taxpayers all lose.
Sincerely,

GLOW 07-27-2018 12:49 PM

good on them for voicing their opinion.

Hondaracer 07-27-2018 01:19 PM

Private construction is -always- hurt by an NDP govt.

MG1 07-27-2018 04:12 PM

How many contiguous terms has an NDP government been in power? Ever. That speaks volumes. BTW, do any of you remember the Social Credit Party? Whacky Bennet, Grace McCarthy, VanderZalm, and Wacky's son?

People get fed up and want a change.......... along comes NDP and people come to their senses soon after.

Growing up in East Van, I was a total NDP fanboi. Then, when they got into power, I realized right there and then, they only had one purpose. To promote union interests. I believed in unions, too, but seeing all the corruption made me think twice. Actually, didn't even think twice. Brothers and sisters, I'm told........... fuck that shit. Incest is not my thing. Like communism, the (union) leaders and people in power get their way and everybody else is just a cog...... another brick in the wall.

Anyway............