REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The official NDP is screwing us thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715096-official-ndp-screwing-us-thread.html)

originalhypa 07-20-2018 06:47 AM

The official NDP is screwing us thread

I can't believe that we dont have one of these threads already.

Lets start with the news that came out about ride sharing the other day.

Quote:

The taxi industry is making a last-minute pitch to keep Uber, Lyft and other ride-hailing smartphone apps out of B.C., the last major jurisdiction in North America where the services are still illegal.

The taxi monopoly’s alternative suggestion: a made-in-B.C. ride-for-hire app with profits flowing back to the taxi companies.

The Vancouver Taxi Association has struck a tentative agreement with wealthy Surrey businessman Monty Sikka to develop a ride-for-hire app called Kater, with 20 per cent of the profits remaining with taxi firms.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theprovi...de-sharing/amp

Even after promising ride sharing, the NDP has flip flopped and are pandering to the taxi lobby.

Why is it that the taxi lobby has so much power?

Something, something, Sahotas and Singhs.....

Ludepower 07-20-2018 07:02 AM

More delays with "another" study. NDP getting caught with their pants down pandering to the taxi and Indo community.

Taxi drivers rejecting rides, taking cash only, stinky cabs, long waits on weekends etc..this is getting ridiculous.

nsx042003 07-20-2018 07:11 AM

I hardly take taxi anyway, ridesharing only means more idiots on the road.

I am actually thankful the NDP is looking deeper into the impact of ride sharing

jackmeister 07-20-2018 08:20 AM

and they wonder why people still drink and drive..........because there's no convenient way to get home at night and back to the car in the morning

Hondaracer 07-20-2018 09:20 AM

More idiots on the road? Literally -every- Uber I’ve ever taken is more professional and felt safer than the loca cabbies. I’m not just spouting off either this is the honest truth

I’ve taken so many local cabs who the driver is seemingly under he influence, tired af, a complete wack job, driving fast af and unsafe af to get to the next fare.

I’ve also had sack of shit cabbies who told me they “didn’t have change” for $20..

Straight up Fuck cabs, and fuck the NDP. From now on if I know I’m taking a cab I’m going to purposely bring a picket full of change and give them the exact total to the nickel.

What they are doing here is most likely extending the timeline for ride sharing so that eventually Uber and Lyft just give up and move on.

For anyone who has never used Uber, it literally could not work better. Like I’ve rarely seen and dealt with a system that works better than Uber. It’s fucking unbelievable we don’t have it here. Very frustrating and it makes me not want to go out.

I can fucking SEE BC place from my place and I don’t feel like going downtown because I do not want to take a cab home.

yray 07-20-2018 09:32 AM

just charge arm and a leg for uber insurance and call it a day.

Ludepower 07-20-2018 09:36 AM

Have you guys seen DT on weekends...its pretty much whack a mole with your car cause people are fighting each other trying to hail down a cab.

With no skytrains running either...its like they're encouraging people to drink and drive...smh at this no fun city.

originalhypa 07-20-2018 10:05 AM

I just got back from Cali and Uber'd everywhere. It is such a great service, and far better than the old taxi system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 8911888)
and they wonder why people still drink and drive..........because there's no convenient way to get home at night and back to the car in the morning

One study from the CUNY PhD program in economics found that since Uber was introduced in New York City in 2011, drinking-related car wrecks decreased by 25–35 percent in all boroughs. That’s a difference of about 40 accidents per month.

http://wfs.gc.cuny.edu/Economics/ReP...NYGC-WP013.pdf

A new Monder Law article examines arrest data from the Department of Motor Vehicles and presents an unbiased analysis of DUI arrest numbers from 2008 - 2013. The data shows that DUI arrest rates decreased for six consecutive years in a row, and the article explores the relationship between the rideshare industry and reducing the number of impaired drivers. Uber has released several studies claiming that it reduces DUI rates, but there are few non-branded studies available.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300328596.html

Could it be that the NDP doesn't actually have our safety in mind?

Hondaracer 07-20-2018 10:27 AM

Places i've used Uber:

Toronto
California
Vienna
Prague
Berlin
Amsterdam

in all these places there are still Taxi's, yet MIRACULOUSLY! you dont have to wait for a ride, EVER..

ffs... like fuck the NDP and fuck all their bullshit, i dont care about all the people who voted about removing tolls, dont care about child care etc. The only thing i really cared about was this and it's not happening FUCK..

Eff-1 07-20-2018 10:34 AM

To be fair, the Liberals were just as guilty for stalling the introduction of ride-sharing by having surrendered to the taxi lobby for years.

Both parties are equally to blame, it's just now the NDP happens to be the ones in power, while the Libs have zero credibility as an opposition party.

CivicBlues 07-20-2018 10:36 AM

On the one hand the NDP is taking SOME action on the housing crisis and money laundering, which is more than can be said of the Liberals and their inaction over 16 years.

On the other hand:

-No Uber
-Cancelled George Massey Bridge
-Cancelled Hwy 1 widening east of Langley
-New Union-only crown corp to oversee infrastructure projects (i.e. expensive as fuck bridges and roads)
-STILL NO FUCKING UBER !?!

Seems like the NDP want us to all stay put in our declining value homes and not go anywhere. :D

originalhypa 07-20-2018 10:41 AM

^
:awesom:

It really does seem that way. Although the traffic around the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridge have shown that there is so much movement in the suburbs as people are forced to commute.

Not much different than California actually. Just move east until you can afford it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8911908)
To be fair, the Liberals were just as guilty for stalling the introduction of ride-sharing by having surrendered to the taxi lobby for years.

Both parties are equally to blame, it's just now the NDP happens to be the ones in power, while the Libs have zero credibility as an opposition party.

I think this is what upsets the educated proletariat the most. There are no other options for us. Either continue letting the Liberals rape the coffers, or shoot ourselves in the foot by voting NPD. The provincial Conservatives are a non entity, and who in their right mind would vote Green?

It really is a two party system. If the Liberals had played their cards right, they would still be in power. But like many, they dug in like a tick and rode it to the bitter end.

will068 07-20-2018 10:54 AM

No need to tip in Uber as well.

Well, lately, I found out that some North American cities have uber asking the user if they want to tip.

Hehe 07-20-2018 10:57 AM

I personally don't use taxi/Uber enough to feel bad about this.

Nevertheless, if we really want to get this going, make our voice heard... let's start something more formal like a petition and stuff.

Just posting on RS it's going nowhere. Lobby works because they are LOUDER than other noises... if you make a voice equally loud, politicians will take notice. After all, they want votes.

Also, send an email to your local representative stressing the fact that you'd not support any candidate who doesn't support ride-sharing and urge them to pick a side.

Taxi industry lobbyists get their way because no citizens care enough to say otherwise.

TOS'd 07-20-2018 11:00 AM

Uber has been so convenient lately.

UnknownJinX 07-20-2018 11:02 AM

One serious question I have: so how does the math actually work out for us?

As in, if someone decides to pursue Uber as their full-time job, will they be making money or losing money?

Have seen a couple of videos that say you can't make money with Uber, while other studies show that you can. It's all over the place.

As a consumer, this is a welcome change, but for those providing the service with fuel-efficient vehicles and those who will get affected by the change in policy(taxi drivers), I feel like there are some maths we have to do.

originalhypa 07-20-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 8911919)
One serious question I have: so how does the math actually work out for us?

As in, if someone decides to pursue Uber as their full-time job, will they be making money or losing money?

Have seen a couple of videos that say you can't make money with Uber, while other studies show that you can. It's all over the place.

As a consumer, this is a welcome change, but for those providing the service with fuel-efficient vehicles, I feel like there are some maths we have to do.

Every one of our Uber drivers from Vegas, to San Diego, to Hollywood and all around are making money. We had a great ride with a retired dude in San Diego who works 3-4 hrs a day, maybe 3 days a week. He makes enough to golf the other 4 days a week, and keep his wife off his ass. Plus these people love it. They like driving, making money, and meeting other people. It's much more friendly than taking a cab.

Hondaracer 07-20-2018 11:06 AM

If it was t profitable for the driver do you think there would be enough drivers on the road to be in a vehicle 5 minutes after opening the app?

Liquid_o2 07-20-2018 11:09 AM

I don't agree with everything the NDP has done, but shit, the Liberals didn't let in ride sharing either and pandered just as much with the BC Taxi Industry. This is moot point no matter the political party.

Most people are just small-minded and don't remember past yesterday. Durr... no ride sharing? Fucking Liberals! No ride sharing??? fuck the NDP!

UnknownJinX 07-20-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8911920)
Every one of our Uber drivers from Vegas, to San Diego, to Hollywood and all around are making money. We had a great ride with a retired dude in San Diego who works 3-4 hrs a day, maybe 3 days a week. He makes enough to golf the other 4 days a week, and keep his wife off his ass. Plus these people love it. They like driving, making money, and meeting other people. It's much more friendly than taking a cab.

Good to hear some feedback.

I'd personally be fine with it being a non-profitable activity for me, so if I need to drive to the ferry, it can help me swallow some of the cost of taking the ferry.

Any experience with people who really commit to it(full-time job, >40 hours per week)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8911922)
If it was t profitable for the driver do you think there would be enough drivers on the road to be in a vehicle 5 minutes after opening the app?

You can't assume that everyone knows math well. If something is marketed as profitable, people with no financial sense will do it.

There are people who pour their life's saving into cryptocurrency. You can't just think all the drivers did their math.

I am also curious because it's a win-win situation for everyone and that doesn't happen often. Passengers get charged a reasonable rate, drivers earn well, while Uber makes some decent money. Just seems too good to be true, but I never really looked into details since I will never consider this as a full-time job.

will068 07-20-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8911907)
Places i've used Uber:

Toronto
California
Vienna
Prague
Berlin
Amsterdam

in all these places there are still Taxi's, yet MIRACULOUSLY! you dont have to wait for a ride, EVER..

ffs... like fuck the NDP and fuck all their bullshit, i dont care about all the people who voted about removing tolls, dont care about child care etc. The only thing i really cared about was this and it's not happening FUCK..

I've visited these places before they had Uber. Also, I have visited the same cities in non-industrialized countries before and after uber/grab as well. These ride sharing apps are a game changer in tourism. Visitors can literally go anywhere in the metro area with confidence and not worry about their safety at any time.

originalhypa 07-20-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 8911924)
Any experience with people who really commit to it(full-time job, >40 hours per week)?

Two of our drivers in Vegas were former cab drivers. One was from New York, and the other from Phoenix (iirc). Both were doing it full time, and admitted to making more from Uber. Plus they enjoyed the freedom the app offered them. The guy from New York did the night shift on Uber because it allowed him time to raise his kids while his wife worked a day job. Plus he said it was a lot easier to drive at night because of so much less traffic.

I could see it as a neat little way to make some extra money. Granted, a $3.49 ($4.46/cdn) gallon of gas really helps too. Doing the math we're currently sitting at just over $7/cdn per gallon at $1.499/L x 3.785(g) x (1.28 usd).

PogChampPogChampPogChamp

jackmeister 07-20-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8911927)
Two of our drivers in Vegas were former cab drivers. One was from New York, and the other from Phoenix (iirc). Both were doing it full time, and admitted to making more from Uber. Plus they enjoyed the freedom the app offered them. The guy from New York did the night shift on Uber because it allowed him time to raise his kids while his wife worked a day job. Plus he said it was a lot easier to drive at night because of so much less traffic.

I could see it as a neat little way to make some extra money. Granted, a $3.49 ($4.46/cdn) gallon of gas really helps too. Doing the math we're currently sitting at just over $7/cdn per gallon at $1.499/L x 3.785(g) x (1.28 usd).

PogChampPogChampPogChamp

I think the prices we will eventually pay for Uber/Lyft would reflect the gas prices. And to be honest, if the app is quoting you 10.49 and 11.32 are you going to complain about the difference?

Having said that, by allowing flexibility, and the surge pricing that would kick in at 3am on a saturday night, Granville/Yaletown will clear out so fast that the police would be done by 4am tops. Less drunk folks, less problems, lower policing costs.

Until then......Udi kuaiche LUL

Hondaracer 07-20-2018 12:00 PM

To me I don’t even care if I have to pay X amount, it’s just about the availability.

Ie. For a Xmas party downtown it’s oretty much either leave super early and know you’re gonna wait an hour still, or party all night and hope you find somthing at 3-4am when you’re hammered and just want to get home.

Mr.HappySilp 07-20-2018 12:03 PM

I laugh when people say NDP will fix the housing issue. If only people remember what happens in the 90s when NDP was in power. Sure housing price is all time low but none have the money to afford one coz the economy was shit a large part due to NDP.

Looks like history is repeating again lol. There are good and bad. When a city is growing and people wants to invest and live here of course housing price will go up. What does NDP do combat the housing cost? Let's screw up BC so housing price will be low again.