REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   US Car Rental (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715116-us-car-rental.html)

JSALES 07-25-2018 02:31 AM

US Car Rental

Has anyone had success renting a car in the US, specifically California with a temporary drivers license permit from BC? I just renewed my class 5 license and afraid it won’t arrive in time. Temporary licenses from the US are allowed just not sure for Canada. I’ve called a few car rental companies and some say yes if it has a “state seal” and some say no or either just don’t understand.

Any advice or suggestions? Or if anyone else has been in the same situation

Thanks

SpeedStars 07-25-2018 05:52 AM

Actual policy for rental places in the US should be 2 pieces of ID (one photo) + your temp permit and you should be golden. However, they all reserve the right to refuse if they deem it's unfit soooo :concentrate:

supafamous 07-25-2018 06:06 AM

I happened to rent from Silvercar a couple weeks ago (in LA and SFO I think) and they don't ask for your DL as you just upload it to their app in advance. Silvercar rents out only Audis and only costs a little bit more than regular car.

twitchyzero 07-25-2018 07:19 AM

get it in e-mail
otherwise they might refuse you on the spot and you have nothing to back it up and your trip ruined
or get your friend/partner to drive using their license

last month in AZ I forgot my driver license at home and they wouldn't accept a photo front and back of it..had to rent using my dad's dl

heleu 07-25-2018 07:23 AM

Turo is probably not as strict.

On the other hand, you'll need to buy their insurance as your credit card insurance won't cover you.

JqC 07-25-2018 07:25 AM

I rented a month ago from Advantage Rent A Car in LAX. Assholes. They tried to make me buy their insurance because I didn't print out my insurance policies and bring them with me. Had to argue with him for 10 minutes before they would let me take the car without their optional insurance.
These are the only guys that ever tried to pull that shit on me. Next time I'm gonna keep a pdf on my phone just to avoid the hassle.

JSALES 07-25-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supafamous (Post 8912448)
I happened to rent from Silvercar a couple weeks ago (in LA and SFO I think) and they don't ask for your DL as you just upload it to their app in advance. Silvercar rents out only Audis and only costs a little bit more than regular car.

I heard about Silvercar as well, how did the whole process work? Just use their app, no need to meet face to face with another person?

supafamous 07-25-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 8912502)
I heard about Silvercar as well, how did the whole process work? Just use their app, no need to meet face to face with another person?

I've only done it once so the experience might be different on the 2nd go but it's similar (but better) than if you were a member at National or Hertz with a bit more tech involved. Notable things:

1) Use the app to enter your DL and Insurance info.
2) Their lots are off-airport so when you arrive you text them via the app for a pickup and they'll come get you with a shuttle.
3) When you arrive they know who you are and walk you over to a fleet of silver Audis (I got an A4) which are largely identical (I saw one that didn't have the S-Line package).
4) You use the app to scan in a car (QR code) and once verified the trunk opens automatically to let you know it's yours. You take a quick walk around the car with rep and you're done.
5) Fuel is pump price plus $5.
6) The cars are all mid-level Premium Plus cars with free wifi (I never got this working) and are in great shape.
7) The app has directions back to the lot and they text you reminders.

All in all, it was very worth it. I paid $69/day out of SFO which is only a few bucks more than a regular mid-size. In Orlando it's $49/day for an A4 which is a steal. They say they are profitable with that pricing which I think is crazy.

acrophobia 07-25-2018 08:26 PM

Not California, but I just rented a car in Texas with temp permit after renewing my license. There was a little confusion when the employee had trouble finding the DL #, but everything worked out fine. We add the $25 icbc roadstar package to our insurance as it covers 3rd party liability, which we were told is a must in Cali. I always bring a copy of our insurance papers but have never needed to show it (have rented a car there 3 times).

corollagtSr5 07-26-2018 09:11 PM

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...510451411.html

According to this you can use car2go in California if that works for you.

tiger_handheld 07-26-2018 09:15 PM

did through enterprise. no issues.

pickup lax
drop off las vegas

Verdasco 07-26-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supafamous (Post 8912448)

which insurance policy did you get? might rent the a5 in my next trip.

JSALES 07-27-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrophobia (Post 8912561)
Not California, but I just rented a car in Texas with temp permit after renewing my license. There was a little confusion when the employee had trouble finding the DL #, but everything worked out fine. We add the $25 icbc roadstar package to our insurance as it covers 3rd party liability, which we were told is a must in Cali. I always bring a copy of our insurance papers but have never needed to show it (have rented a car there 3 times).

What car rental company?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8912744)
did through enterprise. no issues.

pickup lax
drop off las vegas

With a temporary permit? Maybe I’ll go through them

tiger_handheld 07-27-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 8912885)
What car rental company?

With a temporary permit? Maybe I’ll go through them

misread your post. I had my plastic class 5 bcdl - not the yellow paper. sorry.

supafamous 07-27-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8912748)
which insurance policy did you get? might rent the a5 in my next trip.

Just my ICBC coverage as I have roadside plus which covers rentals up to $100USD/day. This means I couldn't get coverage for the Q5 or A5 convertible via ICBC since both go for more than $100.