REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
US Car Rental

Has anyone had success renting a car in the US, specifically California with a temporary drivers license permit from BC? I just renewed my class 5 license and afraid it won’t arrive in time. Temporary licenses from the US are allowed just not sure for Canada. I’ve called a few car rental companies and some say yes if it has a “state seal” and some say no or either just don’t understand.

Any advice or suggestions? Or if anyone else has been in the same situation

Thanks
Advertisement
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Actual policy for rental places in the US should be 2 pieces of ID (one photo) + your temp permit and you should be golden. However, they all reserve the right to refuse if they deem it's unfit soooo

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #3

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
I happened to rent from Silvercar a couple weeks ago (in LA and SFO I think) and they don't ask for your DL as you just upload it to their app in advance. Silvercar rents out only Audis and only costs a little bit more than regular car.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
get it in e-mail
otherwise they might refuse you on the spot and you have nothing to back it up and your trip ruined
or get your friend/partner to drive using their license

last month in AZ I forgot my driver license at home and they wouldn't accept a photo front and back of it..had to rent using my dad's dl
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Turo is probably not as strict.

On the other hand, you'll need to buy their insurance as your credit card insurance won't cover you.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
JqC
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I rented a month ago from Advantage Rent A Car in LAX. Assholes. They tried to make me buy their insurance because I didn't print out my insurance policies and bring them with me. Had to argue with him for 10 minutes before they would let me take the car without their optional insurance.
These are the only guys that ever tried to pull that shit on me. Next time I'm gonna keep a pdf on my phone just to avoid the hassle.
JqC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I happened to rent from Silvercar a couple weeks ago (in LA and SFO I think) and they don't ask for your DL as you just upload it to their app in advance. Silvercar rents out only Audis and only costs a little bit more than regular car.
I heard about Silvercar as well, how did the whole process work? Just use their app, no need to meet face to face with another person?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
I heard about Silvercar as well, how did the whole process work? Just use their app, no need to meet face to face with another person?
I've only done it once so the experience might be different on the 2nd go but it's similar (but better) than if you were a member at National or Hertz with a bit more tech involved. Notable things:

1) Use the app to enter your DL and Insurance info.
2) Their lots are off-airport so when you arrive you text them via the app for a pickup and they'll come get you with a shuttle.
3) When you arrive they know who you are and walk you over to a fleet of silver Audis (I got an A4) which are largely identical (I saw one that didn't have the S-Line package).
4) You use the app to scan in a car (QR code) and once verified the trunk opens automatically to let you know it's yours. You take a quick walk around the car with rep and you're done.
5) Fuel is pump price plus $5.
6) The cars are all mid-level Premium Plus cars with free wifi (I never got this working) and are in great shape.
7) The app has directions back to the lot and they text you reminders.

All in all, it was very worth it. I paid $69/day out of SFO which is only a few bucks more than a regular mid-size. In Orlando it's $49/day for an A4 which is a steal. They say they are profitable with that pricing which I think is crazy.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Not California, but I just rented a car in Texas with temp permit after renewing my license. There was a little confusion when the employee had trouble finding the DL #, but everything worked out fine. We add the $25 icbc roadstar package to our insurance as it covers 3rd party liability, which we were told is a must in Cali. I always bring a copy of our insurance papers but have never needed to show it (have rented a car there 3 times).
Old 07-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...510451411.html

According to this you can use car2go in California if that works for you.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
did through enterprise. no issues.

pickup lax
drop off las vegas

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
which insurance policy did you get? might rent the a5 in my next trip.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
Not California, but I just rented a car in Texas with temp permit after renewing my license. There was a little confusion when the employee had trouble finding the DL #, but everything worked out fine. We add the $25 icbc roadstar package to our insurance as it covers 3rd party liability, which we were told is a must in Cali. I always bring a copy of our insurance papers but have never needed to show it (have rented a car there 3 times).
What car rental company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
did through enterprise. no issues.

pickup lax
drop off las vegas
With a temporary permit? Maybe I’ll go through them
Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
What car rental company?

With a temporary permit? Maybe I’ll go through them
misread your post. I had my plastic class 5 bcdl - not the yellow paper. sorry.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
which insurance policy did you get? might rent the a5 in my next trip.
Just my ICBC coverage as I have roadside plus which covers rentals up to $100USD/day. This means I couldn't get coverage for the Q5 or A5 convertible via ICBC since both go for more than $100.