REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #51
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Bring back Nexopia, I was getting laid like crazy back in the day on that shit , haha
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

^no joke of a lie met my wife on nexopia when I was 19 and she was 18 lol
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I like facebook.
I rarely use it to update things because I simply think it's too much work to share publicly about my daily events. But what I do like about it is communication.

I've added a lot of people over time. Some are acquaintances, some are just people I've merely met once at a party or something, but the fact is, I can easily reach them still whenever I need to. I don't add people on my phone as liberally. And it's easier to just give them a fb msg, rather than call someone I don't know that well. Group events are also much easier to plan. Many businesses also have a facebook page, which I can fb message the business. One time I was shopping around for something and I contacted 4 different vendors to ask for pricing and received answers promptly, and the info was all documented conveniently in my fb msgs.

Annoying wall feed? That's what "unfollow" is for. And car groups... that's the best. Any issue with your car? Make a post and receive replies within minutes on solutions.

Now I might be getting old, I don't use instagram. From what I know of it, it seems like a big picture gallery that people can use to share images and videos to each other. I could be wrong, but if this is all it is, then there seems to be very little element for it to be a communicating app that would replace any of the benefits that I listed above that facebook offers.

Facebook is like this really useful multi-purpose platform that seems to be cool to hate on though. Somehow, it's even more awesome when you say "hey hey! I don't use facebook. I've never had an account in my life!" So now every time someone makes a group event, you're the one special guy that always misses the memo until some guy remembers to text you.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 07-28-2018 at 11:49 PM.
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #54
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
It's awesome to see the left eating themselves.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #55
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
whoever thinks people are going to stop using facebook, and move onto something else, have their heads up their asses.

it's just a knee jerk reaction.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #56
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

People who delete FB are like vegans. Gotta let everyone know.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #57

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Anyone notice how much Facebook has changed their notifications over the years though? I remember when the Facebook App used to only show notification red number on the App when I actually have a legitimate notification, like a comment or post on my page, a msg, etc.

Now I'll see my Facebook app showing 10 notifications, I go in, and it's all bullshit. A post on some community page, or a post from some random I never talk to, nor ever put on a list for notification alerts.

It's starting to remind me of the Linkedin app, spams fake notifications to spur you to open the app and take a look. I hate that.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #58
GS8

Thanked 7,264 Times in 1,967 Posts
"John Jones is interested in an event near you"

Tha fuck do I care?

Anyway, years ago I downloaded this app:

https://www.fbpurity.com/

It's basically a filter program to allow Facebook to show you only what you want it to show. It's a series of boxes you check / uncheck.

You can even setup custom filters using keywords i.e. you don't want to see baby photos, so you type 'baby' in the box and you shouldn't see them.

It made FB tolerable for me. I set mine up to mimic what FB was like 11 years ago when I first joined.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #59
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
it takes what...5s to turn off the app's notification?
i haven't installed Messenger in a while
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:59 AM   #60
Banned (ABWS)?

Spam is something that takes minor effort to deal with, as long as people actually make an effort to deal with it instead of just getting frustrated and then jumping ship.

For facebook:
You can unfollow people if you don't want to see them all over your wall feed.
Each comment has a Ellipsis on the right corner that you can click and "Hide Post: see fewer posts like this"
Before everyone starts throwing their arms in the air about privacy and how facebook is spying on them, they use a smart algorithm in showing you things you do or don't want to see, as long as you take the effort to tell them what you don't want to see.
Go through the notification options and you'll be able to turn on/off everything.

A little off topic, but too often do I hear people switching email accounts because they say their old one has too much spam. Some are legit spam/phishing which can be dealt with by reporting it as so in one of the email options (as opposed to simply deleting), or if it's just simply an ad, majority of those have an "unsubscribe" in the fine print at the bottom of the email. Do that once, and you'll never hear from them again. I've been using the same hotmail account since 2003 and so far, still good.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #61
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

So now every time someone makes a group event, you're the one special guy that always misses the memo until some guy remembers to text you.
As someone who's never had a facebook account I can't say this has ever been an issue. None of my buddies use facebook either, we just pick up the phone and call each other.

A novel idea I know, and much more personal too.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #62
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
As someone who's never had a facebook account I can't say this has ever been an issue. None of my buddies use facebook either, we just pick up the phone and call each other.

LOL facebook is way more than that. Just picked up a HDMI pioneer receiver $75. Craigslist and letgo had nothing, facebook marketplace had 3 for sale. Facebook groups are also huge and is one of the main reasons why forums are dying.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #63

+1 on messaging businesses on facebook...you get much better luck than an e-mail or e-mail form....esp if you threaten to post on their wall if things to get done
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2018, 04:31 AM   #64
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

Well if your circle of friends don't have facebook, then of course the whole system falls apart... kind of like having a phone, but if hypothetically, no one else had a phone for you to call.

Just because something has never been an issue doesn't mean there isn't much more efficient methods out there. Getting personal is great when you actually want to talk, but not everyone wants to get "personal" or call 15 people to repeat the same info for an event or notice.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #65
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
IMHO I also seem to be finding the marketplace to be more resourceful than Craiglist. I know you can also create fake accounts on FB but it's much more strict than CL where you can use any bogus email address.

From my personal experience; When I list something on CL, 80% of the buyers are scammers and the rest are flakers/lowballers. Emails also take forever to go back and forth, and not everyone wants to give out their phone numbers for texting/calling strangers.

So far on FB Market all buyers/sellers have been polite and easy to talk to.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #66
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
The marketplace was a huge improvement over having to join a load of b/s/t groups and deal with people commenting nonsense. It only really works locally though, if I'm looking for something that would need to be shipped, or I'm willing to travel to get, it's useless. I suppose CL has the same issue, but it's much easier to search multiple locations than FB (and no overlap like FB).

I've also dealt with enough morons that I'd rather they don't know my name. I won't even meet anyone at home anymore because of an idiot who kept showing up at my house asking questions about what I sold him. With email or text it's easy enough to block/ignore them and you don't have to worry about them plastering your name everywhere if they did something stupid but think it's your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Annoying wall feed? That's what "unfollow" is for. And car groups... that's the best. Any issue with your car? Make a post and receive replies within minutes on solutions.
Tbh that's one of my pet peeves with FB. Too many idiots who make a post the instant they have need info, without bothering to search for it themselves. I know forums have had problems like that but it seems much worse on FB. That and after the fact it's borderline impossible to search for the info, so it's lost until the next guy asks the same thing. I've unfollowed nearly every automotive group I'm in because I got sick of nothing but moronic questions and the same meme posted 400 times.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #67

easy, don't use your full name on facebook
don't link your phone number to your account
don't enable location services for the app