REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-05-2018, 05:20 AM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I am not understanding this correctly.

So there is already a set of dedicated winter tires. In that case, why would you still want to get a set of "all season" tires?

If you plan on running the same set of tires year round, I can totally see why all seasons (eg. Pilot Sport AS3+) would make sense. But if there is already a set of winter tires, it make no sense to run all seasons in the other 3 seasons.

(This is assuming the car will be used in Metro Vancouver and vicinity.)
Good catch on this.

Fact: I am currently not in the GVRD, but instead, in a place that experiences all four seasons, especially harsh winters. Fall and spring can be unpredictable, often with steep temperature drops and ice storms.

Ideally, I would like to have a set of dedicated summer tires, but given the climate of where I am, it isn't worth the risk. I had to keep winters from October 2017 to May 2018.

If I were in Vancouver, yes, I would have sprung for something like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or the Continental Extreme Contact Sport.

Lesson to you all: Stay in Vancouver.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
^ I believe if you have the Costco gift card, you will be able to both purchase the tires and have them installed at their car shop as well.
Sort of yes. But going back for your free rotations and flat repairs and possible warranties if you’re not even a member is a 100% hassle, and you can be refused after.

Think of it this way. Rotation and balance is free for the lifetime of the tire. Say 5 years, get it done every 6 months (Canadian average 25k km a year, rotations @12k) most places charge ~$50. That’s about 500 in 5 years. So if you wanted a basic Costco membership at what... $60/year or something? I’m not sure. The price evens out
Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Good catch on this.

Fact: I am currently not in the GVRD, but instead, in a place that experiences all four seasons, especially harsh winters. Fall and spring can be unpredictable, often with steep temperature drops and ice storms.

Ideally, I would like to have a set of dedicated summer tires, but given the climate of where I am, it isn't worth the risk. I had to keep winters from October 2017 to May 2018.

If I were in Vancouver, yes, I would have sprung for something like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or the Continental Extreme Contact Sport.

Gotcha. I have 3 dedicated sets of wheels for my car; summer only, all seasons and snowies. If you’re looking for the best all seasons on the market, the a/s3+ is definitely a contender. I’ve heard nothing but good things about conti’s dws.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #29
RS Veteran

First off, thanks to everyone in the thread who provided valuable input.

Secondly, after reading this thread, it appears that the Michelin's are a good bet. I decided to play it safe and stick with the all seasons. It's easy to get tempted and enamored by having a dedicated set of summer tires, but where I am, is not a good idea.

Last, but not least, after doing some homework, I decided to renew my Costco menbership. There was a cost savings by renewing the membership; it's hard to beat Costco's $15/tire service fee. Order placed for the Michelin's. Should have them mounted within a week or so.

For reference, the stock tires are Bridgestone Ecopia's (forgot exact model.) They aren't terrible, but they aren't the greatest. They would appease a majority of the population. After all, stock tires that came with an econobox. I feel that they are a bit soft and uanble to maximize fuel savings, and taking sweeping turns onto the highway aren't very fun at all.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 08-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #30
RS Veteran

Welpz, time to head over to Costco to do some grocery shopping.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #31

Bridgestone ecopia are a good tire, they have a pretty good tread life. Sidewall is pretty soft so in aggressive driving you’ll feel some deflection. They also run a bit narrow, the should rolls into the sidewall more. As3+ are way more sporty. Pirelli p4 or p7 are okay. Shit in any kind of snow. I’d consider them if they were on sale.

Food for thought. For all seasons I run “goalstar catchpower” In 255/35r18. They were $72 each brand new. I’ve tried them in every weather except snow (yes, even a track day) and they were awesome. New tread is only 8/32” new (versus the normal 10/32) but the price is amazing. Grips well in hard launches. Quiet around city, though after track they have a 120+knh buzz due to alignment. For a daily driver, pretty much all modern tires are good. Just make sure to maintain them
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #32
RS Veteran

You are correct that the Bridgestone Ecopia tires are good; tread life has been great, and I have about 29,000KM on them since new.

It's mostly highway driving and lots of highway exits day in and day out, so yes, they feel as if they are running into the sidewall. I simply wanted something a bit more sporty and the Ecopia tires didn't meet that criteria. I'll hold on to them for a while or throw them back on when I sell the car...I mean bicycle.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Sort of yes. But going back for your free rotations and flat repairs and possible warranties if you’re not even a member is a 100% hassle, and you can be refused after.

Think of it this way. Rotation and balance is free for the lifetime of the tire. Say 5 years, get it done every 6 months (Canadian average 25k km a year, rotations @12k) most places charge ~$50. That’s about 500 in 5 years. So if you wanted a basic Costco membership at what... $60/year or something? I’m not sure. The price evens out
So what you mean is that: Costco will definitely let me buy and install the tires for me given that I have the Costco gift card on hand.

But once the card has been used and finished, I'm going to have a difficulty or getting refused getting
flat repairs, rotations and balances after?
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #34

It’s a grey area. Each household is only able to use a gift gift car twice a year. You have to provide Canadian ID. The warranty applies to Costco members etc. Tires are not a jug of milk, they require maintainance. If you expect to be treated like a member, be a member.

Best to ask a manager or something ahead of time to avoid you being pissed about trying to cheat a system
Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #35

^ alright, a family friend of mine gave us a $200 costco gift card that we still haven't used. Thought might put it to use for tires. Guess we will have to check.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #36
RS controls my life!

Quote:
So what you mean is that: Costco will definitely let me buy and install the tires for me given that I have the Costco gift card on hand.

But once the card has been used and finished, I'm going to have a difficulty or getting refused getting
flat repairs, rotations and balances after?
yeah. they wouldn't work on my car without my friend being there as the tires were purchased under his membership

in the end, i got my own membership and the manager transferred the tire purchase from my friend's account to mine so that i wouldn't have any hassle in the future
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Kaltire will match Costco prices.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Kaltire will match Costco prices.
This. They also have a bigger selection of what they’ll get in, they can work on trucks way easier. Not sure on their warranty or free flat repair kind of thing, but I believe it’s very comparable. I tell people to go there all the time in the busy season if they want an appointment less than 4 weeks away lolololol
Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #39

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I bought a set of winter tires at Kal Tire. Brought in a flat to a different Kal tire 2000km away on my summers and they fixed for free. Would buy again.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #40
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Good catch on this.

too late
Old 08-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Maybe not a valid comparison, but I have both the A/S 3 plus and DWS on 2 different cars currently.

The Michelins feel better in the dry on my S2000 than the Continentals do on my TL-S, but that could me more of a lighter weight RWD vs heavier FWD

Tirerack does rank the Michelins as better in the dry though

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I bought a set of winter tires at Kal Tire. Brought in a flat to a different Kal tire 2000km away on my summers and they fixed for free. Would buy again.
How did they know you bought the tires at a different Kal Tire? You brought the receipt with you along the trip?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #43
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,695 Times in 3,126 Posts
Quote:
How did they know you bought the tires at a different Kal Tire? You brought the receipt with you along the trip?
They probably have a nation wide database. Similar to Costco.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #44

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I’m betting they probably do. I kept my receipt handy in the glove compartment but they didn’t care. I just told them my other set was from Kal. When the work was complete they didn’t charge me.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Kal tire does free flat repairs for anyone, whether you bought the tires there or not. Great way to get customers in the door
Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Kal tire does free flat repairs for anyone, whether you bought the tires there or not. Great way to get customers in the door
They charged me $20 last time, tire only and no mounting on car.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #47

Ah. I’ve always heard they do it free. Guess I was wrong
Old 08-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #48
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,695 Times in 3,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
They charged me $20 last time, tire only and no mounting on car.
Did you look like a rich Asian fuerdai ? That shit doesn't help. You gotta take off your Gucci hat and LV shoes
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Did you look like a rich Asian fuerdai ? That shit doesn't help. You gotta take off your Gucci hat and LV shoes
lol showed up in my amg 18s in a pick up truck

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 AM   #50
RS controls my life!

ran my a/s 3 for 3 years, drove hard in dry and rain. Had no issues, but snow is horrible. Very scary experience. tread wear is decent. I recently switched over to continental extreme contact DWS because they were on sale at canadian tire. michelines feel more stable in the dry and wet. continentals have been good in dry but feels a bit soft when doing sharp turns. Waiting for the rain to come to test them out and I did a lot of research on these tires and apparently do very well in the snow.