REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Garage builder

Looking at getting rid of my detached carport and putting a garage in it's place. Permits will need to be pulled so not something I feel like doing myself. Any suggestions for a company?
Advertisement
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Subscribed for interest. Would also like to know what kind of ballpark figures to expect for costs.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
3 years ago, I was quoted $40/sf by Jack at Tyko Development (TYKO) for a garage. That price was based on him also building the house so I imagine it's a bit more money if you're only doing the garage. He was able to provide a long list of references to me immediately and the two homes I checked out of his seemed generally well made (we didn't follow through with building a house).
Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

Had Tyko come by today for an estimate, roughly 60k for a 600' garage unfinished inside and tearing down a carport. Jack seems trustworthy but still going to get a couple of quotes to have a better idea of what the cost should be.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Wouldn't you want the inside to be finished as well? In particular, wouldn't you want some insulation in the garage walls?

I always thought having less exposure to tempearature fluctuations on the cars is good -- I think it has something to do with reducing the chances of moisture / mildrew / rust build up or something?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #6

As long as it's dry I think it will be fine. Also if I decide it get's too hot/cold I can easily do the insulation and drywall myself.