REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone use Super Save gas?

Yesterday I was talking to my cousin. She has very recently bought a 15 Ford Focus with only about 11000(currently 13000)km on it. Automatic, not sure what engine it is. She told me that she found the car to be a bit sluggish going uphill. I ask her what kind of gas she uses and she told me she uses Super Save because it's cheaper than everyone else. Obviously, they are not a Top Tier gas station.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience using their gas and had similar issues. Thanks!
Advertisement
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
I haven't used Super Save Gas, but you may want to ask if she uses the same station each and every time.

I've had some bad fuel from the same Costco and Petro Canada a few times, and stopped going to those specific stations immediately. They were by no means one-offs, but enough to make my econobox Corolla run shittier than it already does. Nevermind going uphill, but even from a red light, it was sluggish.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
What makes you think the sluggish performance is gas-related? There are literally tons of factors that can lead to sluggish engine performance.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I haven't used Super Save Gas, but you may want to ask if she uses the same station each and every time.

I've had some bad fuel from the same Costco and Petro Canada a few times, and stopped going to those specific stations immediately. They were by no means one-offs, but enough to make my econobox Corolla run shittier than it already does. Nevermind going uphill, but even from a red light, it was sluggish.
She says she uses the same station for the most part. Occasionally she uses other brands, but she isn't sure if it improves with other gas.

Kinda funny you mentioned that. I have used Shell 91 on my own RX-8 from this one station I usually go to. No obvious performance issues, but the gas mileage seems to be a bit lower than normal(I drive relatively the same way) and it reeks of rotten eggs behind the car. Used Chevron 94 and the rotten egg smell is no longer there. Shell is actually not as common on the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
What makes you think the sluggish performance is gas-related? There are literally tons of factors that can lead to sluggish engine performance.
I know, it's just a guess. I am in Vancouver rn and all my equipment is on the island. I told my cousin that she is welcome to drop by my place any point for a proper look.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
What octane is the car rated for? I'd probably reset the ECU too, just in case it has some bad habits from the previous owner causing problems.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #6

Being a Ford Focus, it can't be more than 87.

I rode in her car today, by the way. It felt pretty normal. She says the issue only manifests when on highway or when going uphill.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
You may want to try driving the car. You'd be able to tell if it's sluggish or not.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
slightly off topic: how to know if a gas station is "Top Tier"?

Is Domo Gas top tier?
Isn't all gas the same/come from the same refinery?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You may want to try driving the car. You'd be able to tell if it's sluggish or not.
I will when I have the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
slightly off topic: how to know if a gas station is "Top Tier"?

Is Domo Gas top tier?
Isn't all gas the same/come from the same refinery?
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

And it's the additive package that makes a difference. It reduces the amount of deposit that can build up over time.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

And it's the additive package that makes a difference. It reduces the amount of deposit that can build up over time.
Huh! Didn't realize Husky is not a Top Tier gas! Guess I shouldn't be using them as often then!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Huh! Didn't realize Husky is not a Top Tier gas! Guess I shouldn't be using them as often then!
LOL, I didn't know that, either.

I currently only use Shell 91 and Chevron 94, mostly the latter. My RX-8 calls for at least 91, and these two gases are the only ones in BC that are ethanol-free. All the other 91(including Chevron 91) have some ethanol.

Not saying Shell is bad, but for some reason, my RX-8 gives me a rotten egg smell out of the exhaust. Goes away with Chevron 94, and it's only 2 cents more than Shell 91 per litre.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I thought ethanol was good for the car?

Isn't Husky all ethanol?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
For the 2015 focus, if it's sluggish uphill - it may not be the gas at all, but the transmission. The dct auto in it is terrible and almost every single pre facelift (2016?) has this feeling of a slipping clutch - which she could mistake for sluggishness

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #14

SpeedStars remarks reminded me -- when that generation of the Focus came out, Ford had issued a whole bunch of transmission firmware updates to improve the shifting characteristics and behaviour of the DCT. Perhaps your cousin can bring the car into a Ford dealership and have them check whether there are any transmission TSBs / updates she hasn't received.

Additionally, a quick read on Wikipedia shows the following:

Quote:
Transmission reliability issues

Along with the Ford Fiesta, the Focus equipped with the Ford DPS6 PowerShift transmission has received much criticism due to transmission shuddering, including several lemon law claims.[14] The issue is due to the dry type clutches associated with gasoline models. Ford's current response is to replace the clutch pack assembly (with updated parts) when shuddering exceeds 250 rpm (upon customer complaint). This is proving to be a short term remedy as it is not unusual for the clutch packs to be replaced every 6,000 miles (9,700 km).[citation needed]

There have been at least 6 revisions of clutch packs and transmission control modules since inception. Newer clutch packs and transmissions are more resistant to wear and fluid contamination, as the source of many shudder issues involved an improperly installed seal which was leaking transmission fluid onto the dry clutches.[15] Ford also claims there are "Changes to the clutch material for better performance across temperature ranges (new for 2016)."[15] Some consumer complaints are due to the normal operating characteristics of the transmission, because the DPS6 does not contain a torque converter fluid coupling and does not behave similarly to traditional torque converter transmissions, instead sharing some characteristics found in traditional manual transmissions.[16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I thought ethanol was good for the car?

Isn't Husky all ethanol?
IIRC, in the earlier days when ethanol was added into gasoline, it was meant to act as the oxygenate to replace the toxic MTBE additive. IMO, further marketing effort branded it as an "earth-friendly" fuel since it is derived from corn, and is thus a "renewable" fuel.

Over time, people came to realize that much of the ethanol blended into gas was really coming out from corn that was meant to be food, and people started getting pissed as a result. People also started to realize ethanol reduced gas mileage, and was corrosive to a number of materials commonly found in older vehicles. It is also hygroscopic, so it attracts water, and leads to further corrosion / oxidation in certain engine parts.

In additional to being an oxygenate, ethanol also has a higher octane rating than gas, so when it is blended into gasoline, it acts like an octane booster. Husky used to market this as one of the major benefits of their gasoline, and their lowest (octane) grade of gas was 89, but it was sold at 87 octane gas prices. But the practice has long been dropped.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Shell is actually not as common on the island.
Depends where you are on the island.

It's very common in the Cowichan Valley (2 in Duncan, 1 in Crofton, 1 in Ladysmith, 1 in Mill Bay) and other lower-density cities (Courtenay, Parksville) but Nanaimo and Victoria don't seem to have very many relative to their populations (Nanaimo only has 2 now I think).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
SpeedStars remarks reminded me -- when that generation of the Focus came out, Ford had issued a whole bunch of transmission firmware updates to improve the shifting characteristics and behaviour of the DCT. Perhaps your cousin can bring the car into a Ford dealership and have them check whether there are any transmission TSBs / updates she hasn't received.

Additionally, a quick read on Wikipedia shows the following:

IIRC, in the earlier days when ethanol was added into gasoline, it was meant to act as the oxygenate to replace the toxic MTBE additive. IMO, further marketing effort branded it as an "earth-friendly" fuel since it is derived from corn, and is thus a "renewable" fuel.

Over time, people came to realize that much of the ethanol blended into gas was really coming out from corn that was meant to be food, and people started getting pissed as a result. People also started to realize ethanol reduced gas mileage, and was corrosive to a number of materials commonly found in older vehicles. It is also hygroscopic, so it attracts water, and leads to further corrosion / oxidation in certain engine parts.

In additional to being an oxygenate, ethanol also has a higher octane rating than gas, so when it is blended into gasoline, it acts like an octane booster. Husky used to market this as one of the major benefits of their gasoline, and their lowest (octane) grade of gas was 89, but it was sold at 87 octane gas prices. But the practice has long been dropped.
Yeah, I recall reading about the issues Ford DCT has in an article on DCT. Might be worth checking out then.

As for ethanol, well said. E10 blend doesn't affect gas mileage that much, though. I mainly just A. Don't support the corn industry and the lobbyism behind it and B. Don't want water contamination in my fuel tank, especially with the climate being so humid in the winter.

That said, if you have a turbocharged car tuned for ridiculous amount of boost and did modifications to handle ethanol fuel, you can make stupid amount of power with E85 fuel, as it is very knock-resistant.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Depends where you are on the island.

It's very common in the Cowichan Valley (2 in Duncan, 1 in Crofton, 1 in Ladysmith, 1 in Mill Bay) and other lower-density cities (Courtenay, Parksville) but Nanaimo and Victoria don't seem to have very many relative to their populations (Nanaimo only has 2 now I think).

We use to be a Shell gas station but their gas margins got smaller so most independents dropped them. The ones you see on the Island are mostly from the old Payless gas station chain that shell bought years back.