REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Class 5 Test in a stick shift - anyone?

Just asking because I am taking mine next Friday, and yeah it will be in a standard. Will use a Civic from a driving school.

Curious if anyone has gone through it in the recent years. I took a lesson today and already got some tips from the driving instructor, but more advice is always welcome.
Advertisement
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I took all my tests in a stick shift and so did my SO. Didn't have any problems. Mind you, that wasn't recent.

Some things that I see stick drivers do that might cost them points on the test:
- one hand on the wheel and one hand on/near the shifter while cruising
- shifting gears while turning (e.g. left turns)
- holding in the clutch/putting the car in neutral while braking

Assuming you're fairly adept with pedal control, specifically clutch/gas for hill starts, it's not really much different than taking it in an automatic, IMO.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I took all my tests in a stick shift and so did my SO. Didn't have any problems. Mind you, that wasn't recent.

Some things that I see stick drivers do that might cost them points on the test:
- one hand on the wheel and one hand on/near the shifter while cruising
- shifting gears while turning (e.g. left turns)
- holding in the clutch/putting the car in neutral while braking

Assuming you're fairly adept with pedal control, specifically clutch/gas for hill starts, it's not really much different than taking it in an automatic, IMO.
Thanks!

Took my Class 7 in an automatic because that was all I could drive back then. I have been driving a stick shift a year and and half now.

I keep those habits you mentioned in mind. Supposedly, you also can't get in neutral at a red light - you have to leave your car in 1st with clutch in.

I agree that clutch control is a big part of the stick shift driving. The Civic is super easy to drive in the respect.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Wait you can't leave your car in neutral at a red light? That would kill your left leg though.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Wait you can't leave your car in neutral at a red light? That would kill your left leg though.
I think he means you can't coast to a stop while on neutral.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
You can. ICBC's guide even says:
Quote:
To avoid wear on the clutch, if you will be stopped for a while, such as for a red traffic light, shift to neutral.
You can't coast with the clutch in or in neutral.

Coasting in neutral/clutch in on a down grade is a $121 fine and 2 points.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...-offences.aspx
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/..._05#section197

Last edited by Jmac; 09-02-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Did mine in a 400whp Civic with a 4 puck unsprung clutch lol
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
In my RX-8, yes, because the clutch is pretty heavy.

The Civic clutch feels like a feather in comparison.

Anyway, that's what the driving instructor told me to do on the driving test. I'd think instructors deal with examiners on a regular basis to know these things.

As for wear on the clutch, if your throw out bearing is worn or something and the clutch disc isn't disengaged all the way, yeah, there will be wear, but if everything is working properly, there wouldn't be any additional wear.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Your suppose to be in first gear at a red light. It's the same thing for motorcycle test. It's a safety issue just in case you have to move immediately move.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
take the test in automatic removes a lot of guess work...I would borrow a family or a friend's car
all it takes is one little item and they'll fail you (ie. shifting in a turn)

someone else said it best...why choose the intermediate difficulty on a test when you can do it in easy mode
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Do the test in Richmond. No hills
Old 09-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
take the test in automatic removes a lot of guess work...I would borrow a family or a friend's car

someone else said it best...why choose the intermediate difficulty on a test when you can do it in easy mode
Why would they fail you if you shift during a turn? 1 hand off the wheel? Weight shift?
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
No neutral after stopping at a red light? Sounds terrible, if your left leg takes a break for half a second your car might go shooting forward, or you'll end up with a busted knee eventually from the clutch pedal resistance.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle34931042/
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
Why would they fail you if you shift during a turn? 1 hand off the wheel? Weight shift?
potentially upsetting the balance

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...it_was_unfair/
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
I'm a firm believer in the joys of manual transmissions. I did one of my driving tests in a fully caged, 5pt equipped rally car, so I'm up for a challenge...but honestly, doing your driving test in a manual car is dumb. The test is unevenly weighted towards those who use an automatic. Why? They can dock you points for making errors with the manual transmission. Shifting in corners, putting it into neutral or depressing the clutch too early before stopping, sitting at red light in neutral (some will say this is okay, some will say you must be in first with the clutch depressed).

If two people are taking a test and person A is evaluated on a total of 100 points, while person B is evaluated on total of 125 points...and it takes just 25 points to fail either test, who would you rather be?
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

I know people are going to say this.

The truth is, I am at the point where I need to remember some details of automatics when I hop in one, and I still find myself depressing the non-existent clutch pedal to start the car, moving my hand towards gear stick when accelerating, things like that.

IDK, part of me likes the challenge, but the other part just wants to get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Do the test in Richmond. No hills
Hill start isn't really a worry of mine. Pretty easy when you get the clutch pedal down.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
I did my N test with a manual without any problems, but I was lucky and the instructor was a car guy so we spent most of the time talking about his two 300ZX's. I did my Class 5 in an auto and nearly failed because of doing a lot of rolling stops, I wasn't used to a vehicle starting to move again as I eased up on the brake as I approached the stop since a manual doesn't do that.

The lesson here being whatever you take it in, use it a bunch ahead of time and be familiar with it. If you go to do your test in a vehicle you haven't spent the last while driving you're more likely to make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
I believe it was because if you screw up the shift, you're a sitting duck in front of oncoming traffic. Not a good place to be.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #18
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

You could ask the instructor if they have a preference for stopping at a red (clutch in, clutch out). Each instructor is a little different even if theoretically, they shouldn't be.

Good luck.
Nulified is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I did my N test with a manual without any problems, but I was lucky and the instructor was a car guy so we spent most of the time talking about his two 300ZX's. I did my Class 5 in an auto and nearly failed because of doing a lot of rolling stops, I wasn't used to a vehicle starting to move again as I eased up on the brake as I approached the stop since a manual doesn't do that.

The lesson here being whatever you take it in, use it a bunch ahead of time and be familiar with it. If you go to do your test in a vehicle you haven't spent the last while driving you're more likely to make mistakes.

I believe it was because if you screw up the shift, you're a sitting duck in front of oncoming traffic. Not a good place to be.
Yep, this is one of those small things in an AT that will screw me up on a test.

As for getting used to the vehicle, I find that most MT cars(especially cars driving schools would use) are very easy to drive if you know how to drive a MT RX-8(which is like 90% of the RX-8s out there). Took me all of 10 seconds to get familiar with the Civic or that Jimny I drove in Costa Rica. I booked a road test package with DriveWise so I will get a little more training before doing the real thing.

The tricky thing is getting back in my RX-8 after driving another MT family car. I remember when I came back from Costa Rica, I tried to get my RX-8 out of the garage. Spun my wheels twice before finally stalling. Yep, I am glad no one was there to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulified View Post
You could ask the instructor if they have a preference for stopping at a red (clutch in, clutch out). Each instructor is a little different even if theoretically, they shouldn't be.

Good luck.
Yes, every instructor will be different, but I would think examiners have to follow a set of guidelines, which is you have to press the clutch in with gear stick in 1st at a stoplight.

And thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #20

A lot of manuals feel pretty similar, but if you get in something with a heavy or worn or badly adjusted clutch it can take a bit to adjust your habits to work with it. Downshifting, rev matching and shift points can vary quite a bit too.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 09-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #21

Did my test today in DriveWise's Civic 5-speed and passed the test.

Pretty nervous the whole way, and it was rainy out, too, but there was nothing that really surprised me.

For anyone who wants to do the Class 5 test in a stick shift:

Get a lesson or two beforehand just so you know what the examiners are looking for, and things everyone mentioned before in this thread. Coasting in neutral(A rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be coasting for more than 5 seconds), shifting when turning, sitting in neutral are all big no-nos on the test. The lessons are recommended even for folks who do an AT test.

Remember that they are not really looking at your skills at driving a stick. Obviously, if you stall a bunch or buck at every single shift, then you will have a hard time, but if you occasionally, lightly buck once in the entire test(as I did), they won't give a crap. What they are looking for are those shoulder and mirror checks, and the fact that you pay attention to your surroundings and is a safe driver.

And in that logic, don't show off how good you are at rev matching. Downshift only when you are very slow, and only give the throttle a very light blip, otherwise, they can fail you for driving too spiritedly and aggressively.

Other than that, not much to say. My instructor told me that most people who fail the stick shift test fail for reasons not related to the transmission choice, so even if they are in an AT, they would have failed.

Quote:
A lot of manuals feel pretty similar, but if you get in something with a heavy or worn or badly adjusted clutch it can take a bit to adjust your habits to work with it. Downshifting, rev matching and shift points can vary quite a bit too.
Sports cars are usually a bit different from family cars. Sports cars tend to give you a bit more feedback with a heavier clutch while family cars usually have lighter clutches that dampens the bucking if you are not familiar with the car.

I usually learn a couple of gear-speed-RPM combo in a car for quick references. Didn't really pay much attention to the Civic, though, since I just shifted fairly slowly the whole way. They don't care about what RPM you are at unless it's very unreasonable(don't pass 3000). Cruising at 2200 RPM? They couldn't care less. For driving test city driving, just stick to the first 3 gears and you are good. Highway driving, use the 4th gear. Don't touch 5th.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Sports cars are usually a bit different from family cars. Sports cars tend to give you a bit more feedback with a heavier clutch while family cars usually have lighter clutches that dampens the bucking if you are not familiar with the car.
It's not just the clutch pedal weight, the engagement point can be all over the place and the shift points can be as well since different cars have different rev ranges. Cruising rpm in one car can be bogging in another. Then there's the shifter, is it tight or sloppy? Does the trans have any touchy synchros or an unconventional gear layout like a dog leg 1st gear or reverse in a different spot? Do you need to be stopped to get 1st or will it go in while rolling? Most of the time these won't come up but if they do and someone isn't prepared it can throw someone off enough to cause other mistakes.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #23

Quote:
It's not just the clutch pedal weight, the engagement point can be all over the place and the shift points can be as well since different cars have different rev ranges. Cruising rpm in one car can be bogging in another. Then there's the shifter, is it tight or sloppy? Does the trans have any touchy synchros or an unconventional gear layout like a dog leg 1st gear or reverse in a different spot? Do you need to be stopped to get 1st or will it go in while rolling? Most of the time these won't come up but if they do and someone isn't prepared it can throw someone off enough to cause other mistakes.
All very true, and that's just the beauty of driving a manual transmission. Every car is different, has their own unique character.

For noobs, though, I really recommend a Corolla and Civic. They have relatively loose shifters and light, easy clutches.