REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Subaru Forester Owners (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715336-subaru-forester-owners.html)

Eff-1 09-17-2018 09:07 AM

Subaru Forester Owners

Looking for feedback and reviews from Subaru Forester owners, specifically the SJ generation with the smaller engine. Any issues? Happy with your purchase? Thanks in advance!

jing 09-17-2018 04:12 PM

Bought ours brand new off the lot 2 months ago and loving it ever since. '18 XT Limited with Eyesight.

Just a few minor complaints:
- Doors don't auto lock/unlock when in drive
- Powered lift gate is a bit slow (but gives you more time to react if you parked under something low hanging)
- CVT.. meh. Would prefer a traditional automatic or DCT but the 17-18 has different trans. programming that that simulates shifting which arguably decreases its efficiency
- Sun visors seem a little shorter than usual due to the Eyesight taking up real estate on the roof, meh
- No sunglasses holder due to the Eyesight
- No Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Never used it before so a non-issue
- Premium gas (smiles per gallon)

Was driving a 15yo econowagon before that so it was a major upgrade in terms of materials and tech, moreso for the wife since I've sat in/driven probably thousands of cars from previous jobs from when I was younger. Power is great since it is essentially the same engine as the WRX and the Eyesight works very well and is definitely worth the added cost and will help in future resale value. Haven't tested in snow, mud, or dirt yet but am expecting it to perform well, maybe not with the crappy Bridgestone Dueller tires it comes from the factory with but there is a community of overlanders online who seem content with a 1" strut spacer and a good set of tires, eg. KO2's.

twitchyzero 09-17-2018 04:30 PM

well it's a turbo so premium fuel is expected, and the 25mpg is decent for the power you get

eyesight works great, adaptive cruise control is handy for road trips

this is just from my fairly limited experience driving a fully loaded '16 a handful of times

Eff-1 09-18-2018 09:39 AM

You know, it's funny, CarPlay was something I had zero interest in until 3 weeks ago when I used it for the first time driving a rental Chevrolet Cruze. Now it's one of the first things i look for when scoping out a new car. It's a huge bummer Subaru didn't offer it until the 2019 model.

smoothie. 09-18-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jing (Post 8919551)
Bought ours brand new off the lot 2 months ago and loving it ever since. '18 XT Limited with Eyesight.

Just a few minor complaints:
- Doors don't auto lock/unlock when in drive
- Powered lift gate is a bit slow (but gives you more time to react if you parked under something low hanging)
- CVT.. meh. Would prefer a traditional automatic or DCT but the 17-18 has different trans. programming that that simulates shifting which arguably decreases its efficiency
- Sun visors seem a little shorter than usual due to the Eyesight taking up real estate on the roof, meh
- No sunglasses holder due to the Eyesight
- No Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Never used it before so a non-issue
- Premium gas (smiles per gallon)

Was driving a 15yo econowagon before that so it was a major upgrade in terms of materials and tech, moreso for the wife since I've sat in/driven probably thousands of cars from previous jobs from when I was younger. Power is great since it is essentially the same engine as the WRX and the Eyesight works very well and is definitely worth the added cost and will help in future resale value. Haven't tested in snow, mud, or dirt yet but am expecting it to perform well, maybe not with the crappy Bridgestone Dueller tires it comes from the factory with but there is a community of overlanders online who seem content with a 1" strut spacer and a good set of tires, eg. KO2's.

is the door locks a setting that can be changed?

I'm pretty sure my moms auto locks. 18 touring with eyesight

68style 09-18-2018 10:24 AM

:troll:

https://www.cartalk.com/content/ulti...ars-all-time-1

Expresso 09-18-2018 12:38 PM

Subaru's own infotainment system is absolutely garbage FYI. Have low expectations.

Dragon-88 09-18-2018 02:39 PM

One thing I didn't like about my new WRX (not sure about the forester), but when I shut off my car. I cant close any of my windows. So I have to either turn on the ignition or start the vehicle to close my windows once I park.. I mean my 09 Corolla could close the windows when the vehicle was off why cant my $40k car?

Also I agree about the infotainment system.. Its completely garbage.. My screen even ghosts sometimes where it thinks im touching the screen but i'm not and the only way to stop it is to restart the vehicle..

68style 09-18-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8919692)
One thing I didn't like about my new WRX (not sure about the forester), but when I shut off my car. I cant close any of my windows. So I have to either turn on the ignition or start the vehicle to close my windows once I park.. I mean my 09 Corolla could close the windows when the vehicle was off why cant my $40k car?

My 94 MR2 Turbo leaves the windows powered for a bit after turning the car off... but my 04 Lexus does not... go figure?

jing 09-18-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8919655)
is the door locks a setting that can be changed?

I'm pretty sure my moms auto locks. 18 touring with eyesight

Well documented quirk online that there's no auto-lock, though it seems most owners have the pre-facelift model. I haven't been able to find anything in the menus in our car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8919692)

Also I agree about the infotainment system.. Its completely garbage.. My screen even ghosts sometimes where it thinks im touching the screen but i'm not and the only way to stop it is to restart the vehicle..

Forester has the same issue with the windows. Ignition off also kills the infotainment as well. Maybe it's a Subaru thing...

On the topic of the infotainment though, I guess it's all relative of what you're used to. I had a 7" JVC (KW-NSX700) deck in my previous car that I bought brand new in 2013 that was even less responsive than what's in our Forester now so I'm seeing it as an improvement!