REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Subaru Forester Owners

Looking for feedback and reviews from Subaru Forester owners, specifically the SJ generation with the smaller engine. Any issues? Happy with your purchase? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Bought ours brand new off the lot 2 months ago and loving it ever since. '18 XT Limited with Eyesight.

Just a few minor complaints:
- Doors don't auto lock/unlock when in drive
- Powered lift gate is a bit slow (but gives you more time to react if you parked under something low hanging)
- CVT.. meh. Would prefer a traditional automatic or DCT but the 17-18 has different trans. programming that that simulates shifting which arguably decreases its efficiency
- Sun visors seem a little shorter than usual due to the Eyesight taking up real estate on the roof, meh
- No sunglasses holder due to the Eyesight
- No Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Never used it before so a non-issue
- Premium gas (smiles per gallon)

Was driving a 15yo econowagon before that so it was a major upgrade in terms of materials and tech, moreso for the wife since I've sat in/driven probably thousands of cars from previous jobs from when I was younger. Power is great since it is essentially the same engine as the WRX and the Eyesight works very well and is definitely worth the added cost and will help in future resale value. Haven't tested in snow, mud, or dirt yet but am expecting it to perform well, maybe not with the crappy Bridgestone Dueller tires it comes from the factory with but there is a community of overlanders online who seem content with a 1" strut spacer and a good set of tires, eg. KO2's.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
well it's a turbo so premium fuel is expected, and the 25mpg is decent for the power you get

eyesight works great, adaptive cruise control is handy for road trips

this is just from my fairly limited experience driving a fully loaded '16 a handful of times
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
You know, it's funny, CarPlay was something I had zero interest in until 3 weeks ago when I used it for the first time driving a rental Chevrolet Cruze. Now it's one of the first things i look for when scoping out a new car. It's a huge bummer Subaru didn't offer it until the 2019 model.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Bought ours brand new off the lot 2 months ago and loving it ever since. '18 XT Limited with Eyesight.

Just a few minor complaints:
- Doors don't auto lock/unlock when in drive
- Powered lift gate is a bit slow (but gives you more time to react if you parked under something low hanging)
- CVT.. meh. Would prefer a traditional automatic or DCT but the 17-18 has different trans. programming that that simulates shifting which arguably decreases its efficiency
- Sun visors seem a little shorter than usual due to the Eyesight taking up real estate on the roof, meh
- No sunglasses holder due to the Eyesight
- No Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Never used it before so a non-issue
- Premium gas (smiles per gallon)

Was driving a 15yo econowagon before that so it was a major upgrade in terms of materials and tech, moreso for the wife since I've sat in/driven probably thousands of cars from previous jobs from when I was younger. Power is great since it is essentially the same engine as the WRX and the Eyesight works very well and is definitely worth the added cost and will help in future resale value. Haven't tested in snow, mud, or dirt yet but am expecting it to perform well, maybe not with the crappy Bridgestone Dueller tires it comes from the factory with but there is a community of overlanders online who seem content with a 1" strut spacer and a good set of tires, eg. KO2's.
is the door locks a setting that can be changed?

I'm pretty sure my moms auto locks. 18 touring with eyesight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,426 Times in 5,103 Posts

https://www.cartalk.com/content/ulti...ars-all-time-1
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Subaru's own infotainment system is absolutely garbage FYI. Have low expectations.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
One thing I didn't like about my new WRX (not sure about the forester), but when I shut off my car. I cant close any of my windows. So I have to either turn on the ignition or start the vehicle to close my windows once I park.. I mean my 09 Corolla could close the windows when the vehicle was off why cant my $40k car?

Also I agree about the infotainment system.. Its completely garbage.. My screen even ghosts sometimes where it thinks im touching the screen but i'm not and the only way to stop it is to restart the vehicle..

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,426 Times in 5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
One thing I didn't like about my new WRX (not sure about the forester), but when I shut off my car. I cant close any of my windows. So I have to either turn on the ignition or start the vehicle to close my windows once I park.. I mean my 09 Corolla could close the windows when the vehicle was off why cant my $40k car?
My 94 MR2 Turbo leaves the windows powered for a bit after turning the car off... but my 04 Lexus does not... go figure?
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
is the door locks a setting that can be changed?

I'm pretty sure my moms auto locks. 18 touring with eyesight
Well documented quirk online that there's no auto-lock, though it seems most owners have the pre-facelift model. I haven't been able to find anything in the menus in our car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post

Also I agree about the infotainment system.. Its completely garbage.. My screen even ghosts sometimes where it thinks im touching the screen but i'm not and the only way to stop it is to restart the vehicle..
Forester has the same issue with the windows. Ignition off also kills the infotainment as well. Maybe it's a Subaru thing...

On the topic of the infotainment though, I guess it's all relative of what you're used to. I had a 7" JVC (KW-NSX700) deck in my previous car that I bought brand new in 2013 that was even less responsive than what's in our Forester now so I'm seeing it as an improvement!