REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Winter Tire Recommendations? RDX

Anyone with experience or knowledge on which one would be better for use in the winter?

Pirelli - Scorpion Winter
Latitude X-Ice XI2
Blizzak DM-V2
Advertisement
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Tirerack is your friend:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=LTSIS

DM-V2 is highest rated. Scorpion Winter is a performance SUV winter tire and is in a different category.

I have experience with the non-SUV versions of the Blizzaks (WS-80) and Michelins (X-Ice 3) and my take on them is that the Blizzak is better for slushy conditions but is a very soft tire (sidewall and tread) while the X-Ice is a better driver's tire with longer lasting tread.

Can't go wrong with either in Vancouver winters though - there really aren't any conditions that would catch either tire out.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,756 Times in 3,869 Posts
For an SUV I’d choose the dm-v2 as the best, Michelin’s a close second. Pirelli are alright, but pretty equal performance to other generic snow tires. They’re good for a few sizes that the other two don’t make sizes in

Ask about a mileage warranty for the Michelin. I know the x-ice xi3 are the only full winter tire with a mileage warranty, but the xi2 I’m not sure about.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,179 Times in 354 Posts
Had the XI2 on a '13 RDX - absolute garbage in the slush, but very good on the snow.

Popular new tires in Ontario seem to be the WinterContact SI and Toyo Observe GSi-5 (crushed walnut shells in compound are great)
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

I got XI-3's last year for my Si. Was driving up to Whistler in January and got caught in a snowstorm for the last 30km up to the village. Lots of cars spinning out but I went up the hill with zero issues.

But when I was in the village and the snow started to melt, the XI-3's sucked in deep slush. AWD probably would have helped. Didn't get stuck thought
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Depends where you plan to go.
I think the blizzak's are kind of excessive if you're staying in the city. It's good tires for snow, like if you plan to go on some road trips, but there are better options for frost/ice and light snow, and will last longer than the blizzaks.

I got the WinterContact Si last winter for my daily commuting, but it's probably not as suitable for thick snow compared to the blizzak. But I'm staying within the city.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Got xi3 for my 07 rdx and they were great. I just ordered a set of momo SUV pole w4 for a new RDX so I will see how they do. They are cheap though.
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Wait Momo makes tires now?
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #9

Lol yes apparently they have been making tires in other markets for a while, and recently expanded to North America. Hopefully they will be alright.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #10

How can you tell if a rim is hub centric? Am using the Costco site to find rims and some of them show a hub centric icon but some don't? Safe to assume they are? Hub-Centric is the way to go right?

https://www.c-wheels.ca/en/fitmentse...&submodel=Base
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Anyone with experience or knowledge on which one would be better for use in the winter?

Pirelli - Scorpion Winter
Latitude X-Ice XI2
Blizzak DM-V2
I dont have experience with the pirelli and lattitude but the the blizzaks did okay on my last car, I picked up set of nokian hakkapeliitta 8 studded last winter and it was installed on a 2017 civic hatch and it did very well in north vancouver hills and slopes during the huge snow storms we had.
Nardogr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
Got xi3 for my 07 rdx and they were great. I just ordered a set of momo SUV pole w4 for a new RDX so I will see how they do. They are cheap though.
Sorry for bringing up the old thread.... just wanna know hows those MOMO tires doing? i m about to order a set of those
Mr. Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #13

Good time to restart it - I have a 2019 RDX now and am thinking of getting Pilot Alpin 5 SUVs tires for it. They're performance winters so seem well suited for our milder winters. Anyone familiar with them or other types of performance winters?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #14

ive run the alpin pa4 for 2 winters so far in all kinds of weather. they definitely excel on cold ass concrete, or even wet. but in the ice they definitely leave something to be desired. a few times driving on the crows nest in snow, those sharp downhill sections before manning park i was starting to slide well over the centreline.

if you dont do a lot of skiing or winter sports theyre totally fine. otherwise id get a better snow tire.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Good time to restart it - I have a 2019 RDX now and am thinking of getting Pilot Alpin 5 SUVs tires for it. They're performance winters so seem well suited for our milder winters. Anyone familiar with them or other types of performance winters?
Which location did you get your 19 rdx from ? I am looking to get one soon
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_blue View Post
Which location did you get your 19 rdx from ? I am looking to get one soon
Campus Acura in Victoria. They had a 2019 demo with low miles that they were willing to give me a great price on so I passed on the 2020s that were showing up on the lots. I negotiated with North Shore, Burrard and Richmond over email - Burrard was the most willing to go low (~2.75% above invoice) quickly while Richmond was second (they still were a bit higher than Burrard) while North Shore was a joke, they were a several thousand higher than the others.

I just used Unhaggle and marked it up 2.5%, added my accessories and emailed them my price. I was dumb by including the accessories upfront, it's better to ask for them later - worst case is you order them from the states where they are way cheaper.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
for my 2G RDX< the blizzaks were absolutely UNSTOPPABLE.

however, after 3 seasons with them i decided to change it up and move to X-Ice Xi2 and for the most part, they too were good. I just feel that the blizzaks were more confidence inspiring.

BLizzak DM-V1

Michelin X-ice XI2

Last edited by Acura604; 09-13-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

my MDX had the costco specials of Blizzaks.. they were good and noticeably different
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
ALso, this is the first time I'm going to experiment with Nokian WRG3 ALL WEATHER... on the TL-S. I'm curious to see if these can handle our light snowfall conditions.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #20

Wrg3’s rate better in the snow and ice in testing than most actual winter tires. You’ll be fine
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

The Nokian WRG3's i've had for several years on my wife's car. Have performed well in the snow.

I have Toyo Celsius all weather's for my CTR, and those also performed well in the snow over the last winter.
OriginalJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Weather View Post
Sorry for bringing up the old thread.... just wanna know hows those MOMO tires doing? i m about to order a set of those
They were great last winter. They handled hilly roads with ease as I live in the Burke Mountain area in Coquitlam. We had quite a few snow events and never had an issue.

Also good traction in the wet.

They are decently quiet too. I still have quite a bit of tread left. I'd definitely buy them again especially for the price.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
They were great last winter. They handled hilly roads with ease as I live in the Burke Mountain area in Coquitlam. We had quite a few snow events and never had an issue.

Also good traction in the wet.

They are decently quiet too. I still have quite a bit of tread left. I'd definitely buy them again especially for the price.
great to hear.... quattrotires a having 7% instant rebate... i m going to order it tonite..
thanks
Mr. Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:44 AM   #24
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I also ran Nokian WRG3's on my 911. Brilliant tire.

I'm new to Vancouver. What's the deal with TireRack? Order online, cross the boarder and have them fitted at their Bellingham branch?
SpiderLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderLemon View Post
I also ran Nokian WRG3's on my 911. Brilliant tire.

I'm new to Vancouver. What's the deal with TireRack? Order online, cross the boarder and have them fitted at their Bellingham branch?
Tire Rack does not have a Bellingham branch, or branches in general. They do not have a physical store. You would need to ship them to one of the partner installers (tire shops) and have them installed there if that is your plan. Another way to do it is to go to Discount Tire and buy/install there in person. They will price match Tire Rack if Tire Rack is cheaper.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote