REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Homless take over empty school in Nanaimo live stream (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715408-homless-take-over-empty-school-nanaimo-live-stream.html)

Manic! 10-05-2018 05:20 PM

Homless take over empty school in Nanaimo live stream

We have a large homeless camp in downtown Nanaimo with around 300 people. The court ordered them out by oct 12. The group now just took over a closed elementary school. Live stream: https://www.facebook.com/XLocalNanai...2181252843944/

SkinnyPupp 10-05-2018 05:27 PM

What's with the spectators yelling at them? Mind your own business :fulloffuck:

"go get a job" and "shut up" over and over.. so helpful

EmperorIS 10-05-2018 05:31 PM

GOOD SHIT

Manic! 10-05-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8922246)
What's with the spectators yelling at them? Mind your own business :fulloffuck:

"go get a job" and "shut up" over and over.. so helpful

It's in a family neighborhood. many live in the area and kids play there. The homeless were evicted from discontent city and now are moving here. discontent city was a shit show, increased violence, theft, drug use, needles, and one homeless injuring himself trying to build a pipe bomb.

https://twitter.com/ctvnewsandy/stat...788353?lang=en

CharlesInCharge 10-05-2018 07:00 PM

Ive seen a movie trailer about freezing homeless overtaking a library... I hope this inspires more homeless to band together for proper shelter.

SkinnyPupp 10-05-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8922255)
It's in a family neighborhood. many live in the area and kids play there. The homeless were evicted from discontent city and now are moving here. discontent city was a shit show, increased violence, theft, drug use, needles, and one homeless injuring himself trying to build a pipe bomb.

https://twitter.com/ctvnewsandy/stat...788353?lang=en

Where should they go in your opinion? (not saying the school is the best place, just wondering)

welfare 10-05-2018 08:17 PM

government should just designate some shitty little campground for them to pitch their tents.
Somewhere relatively secluded.

Best "answer" i can figure.

whitev70r 10-05-2018 08:29 PM

What's the problem? Isn't that what the original European settlers did to the First Nations folks? All official events begin with ... we are here on the unceded territory of Coast Salish, Musqueam, Squamish people.

SkinnyPupp 10-05-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8922266)
government should just designate some shitty little campground for them to pitch their tents.
Somewhere relatively secluded.

Best "answer" i can figure.

So shove them into a corner and try to forget about them.. until that little campground grows and grows into its own skid row, and starts encroaching on the city again

R1CED` 10-05-2018 09:40 PM

if the neighbourhood has lots of kids, why is the school closed? how long has it been closed for and is it being repurposed?

welfare 10-05-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8922275)
So shove them into a corner and try to forget about them.. until that little campground grows and grows into its own skid row, and starts encroaching on the city again

Here's your other options:
1.Give them more free shit.
2.Throw them in jail

They're complaining about not being able to squat in tents. Give them what they want,but away from the public.
Trust me, it's not going to grow rapidly like you think. The majority of society already understands that they can live like shit. They just choose not to.

No one is forcing them to live in tents.

Mr.Money 10-06-2018 05:52 AM

huck'em in jail....if anyone did that it would be breaking & entering.

and if they wanna stand around outside...get the water cannons primed up on their stank ass.

Hondaracer 10-06-2018 05:57 AM

Need to reopen institution like river view and address people who have legitaomte issues, but as I’ve always said, there is a decent portion of the homeless that choose to be there as opposed to taking the “hand up”

Manic! 10-06-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1CED` (Post 8922276)
if the neighbourhood has lots of kids, why is the school closed? how long has it been closed for and is it being repurposed?

Closed for at least 3 years. There are 3 other elementary schools within a 5 minute drive.

quasi 10-06-2018 08:33 AM

Lol, all those Soldier of Odin Clowns.

How long until some vigilante burns that school down?

4doorVIP 10-06-2018 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
reminds me of

teggy604 10-06-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8922245)
We have a large homeless camp in downtown Nanaimo with around 300 people. The court ordered them out by oct 12. The group now just took over a closed elementary school. Live stream: https://www.facebook.com/XLocalNanai...2181252843944/

That's nothing compared to our homeless city in the downtown east side.
Its literally a city within a city. They even have their own speed limit of 30km/h, and its not a school zone, or a playground zone.

iwantaskyline 10-06-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8922288)
Need to reopen institution like river view and address people who have legitaomte issues, but as I’ve always said, there is a decent portion of the homeless that choose to be there as opposed to taking the “hand up”

I highly doubt there's a "decent" portion of the homeless who choose that life. Very small portion? Sure.

Hondaracer 10-06-2018 10:28 AM

drive through the downtown east side on a sunny summer day.

welfare 10-06-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8922300)
I highly doubt there's a "decent" portion of the homeless who choose that life. Very small portion? Sure.

depends on your definition of the word 'choice'.
some believe substance abuse is not a choice.

Hondaracer 10-06-2018 10:51 AM

A good chunk of the natives on the DTES are clearly choosing to be there. They almost certainly have options to get out of that situation whether it be obtaining their handouts on a reserve or going through the additional resources provided to natives in those types of scenarios.

This isn’t a matter of a guy tweaking on heroin falling into the street. There are groups of people laying in lawn chairs playing on their phones with cases of beer beside them right down from insight. I’ve seen it daily.

Sorry but if you’re just chilling in a lawn chair drinking beer and playing on your iPhone 6, it’s an issue of want, not need.

welfare 10-06-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8922286)
huck'em in jail....if anyone did that it would be breaking & entering.

and if they wanna stand around outside...get the water cannons primed up on their stank ass.

my issue with that is cost of legal aid and detention.
bc already ranks very low in legal aid expenditure. among many other areas of the justice system. 10th place among provinces actually.

mikemhg 10-06-2018 10:59 AM

Ugh.. what trash people in that video though, and I'm not talking about the folks in the school.

Seemed like the people on top of the school were much more articulate than the trash people yelling "shut up" to them from the ground.

The lack of self awareness is amazing.

mikemhg 10-06-2018 11:05 AM

On a side note, I appreciate that video posting though. My girlfriend and I have contemplated moving to the Island or Sunshine Coast for years now, looking at the demographic of that crowd, it surely won't be Nanaimo.

Definitely get why it's called the Surrey of VI. Looks full of trashy WASPs. Having the Son's of Odin there just put the cherry on top. It's kind of ironic that they don't want these homeless people in their neighborhood, meanwhile I'd hate having any of those people in mine, perspective is everything.

4doorVIP 10-06-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8922308)
On a side note, I appreciate that video posting though. My girlfriend and I have contemplated moving to the Island or Sunshine Coast for years now, looking at the demographic of that crowd, it surely won't be Nanaimo.

Definitely get why it's called the Surrey of VI. Looks full of trashy WASPs. Having the Son's of Odin there just put the cherry on top. It's kind of ironic that they don't want these homeless people in their neighborhood, meanwhile I'd hate having any of those people in mine, perspective is everything.

this is a working class neighborhood

it really sounds like mikemhg doesn't like white people... if i'm wrong about that letmeknowsa :lawl: