REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Strobing Brake lights....

What's the legality on brake lights that strobe for the first part then do 3 slow flashes and eventually turn solid red after 2 seconds?

Berz out.
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Can’t answer your question but on many euro vehicle when you perform an emergency brake application your brake light will flash to catch the attention of the vehicle following you. Here is a YouTube clip of a Mercedes.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Under the CVSE page, Brake lights are inspected and checked from the following criteria
"Must all illuminate steadily, together, immediately when brake pedal is pressed. Left and right lights may not flash unless they also serve as the rear turn signals and hazard flashers; if so, the left or right brake lamp may flash only when the applicable left or right turn signal is activated. Left and right brake lamps may flash together only when the hazard flashers are activated. The center brake light may not flash or blink."

It'll probably be illegal and categorized as a strobing light under 4.28 of the MVAR.

Refer to Skidmark's post about lights! https://www.revscene.net/forums/5943...ut-lights.html

Last edited by frsdaily; 11-04-2018 at 09:05 PM.
frsdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
friend has gotten a VI just for strobing brake lights, about two years ago, before the entire VI frenzy.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
All the LifeLabs vehicles I see on the highway have them (which are primarily either minivans or passenger cars). Different rules for commercial vehicles?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Not a lawyer here but I think the CVSE requirements are enforced for commercial vehicles. Looking at the MVA, which is more applicable to GP vehicles:

"
Quote:
(3) A stop lamp must be

(a) capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 100 m to the rear of the vehicle in normal sunlight,

(b) illuminated exclusively upon application of the service brake, and

(c) mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m."
From that section, it doesn't seem to specify the illumination pattern... However, in section 4.02(2)(3)

Quote:
(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.
The popo might ding you on the fact the light is not OEM.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
All the LifeLabs vehicles I see on the highway have them (which are primarily either minivans or passenger cars). Different rules for commercial vehicles?
MVAR 4.28 1(b) :For commercial vehicles that are not oversize must receive written consent from the director to have it mounted. To get consent, they must apply to get the permit. Permit application: http://www.cvse.ca/flashing_amber/CV...n_Fillable.pdf

Example of some vehicles but not all that may get flashing light permits:
Armored transportation vehicles
By-Law enforcement vehicles,
Highway or land surveying,
Inspection or repair of utilities or permanently affixed assets along the highway

Some of the vehicles that will not be considered for the permit :
Household goods moving vehicles,
General delivery vehicles
Non-business or private vehicles
frsdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

they look neat
but just drive predictably to minimize your chances of rear-enders
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I started pulsing my brakes on my motorbike when I started riding in highschool, in turn in fast traffic I've always done the same when on 2 or 4 wheels.

No need for any added electronics, do it manually. For everyone's safety.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ When braking hard it may not be the best to pulse brakes to upset the car's weight balance. What I do is turn on the Hazards, it's easy enough to catch people's attention.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I too turn hazards on when an emergency braking situation happens and I also pulse IF I have time but like you said when hard braking it's not the smartest option. Since I live in the North and it's dark most of the year and snowy/foggy all winter I think I'm going to invest in a pair for me and the wife. See how it goes.

Berz out.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Only time I ever turn hazards on is in winter driving to the interior. Sometimes you just turn a corner and the fog is so thick you have MAYBE 2 car lengths of visibility. Legitimate risk of a big accident. Hazards hopefully help a bit
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Why not rig it to flash your hazards? Then nobody is confused about whether or not you're braking, but the hazards attract extra attention when you brake hard.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
^^ lots of modern cars do that, mostly European brands. You can see that In action if you ever watch track footage of car testing/reviews
Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #15

That's where I got the idea from, I've been considering adding it to some of my vehicles.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
^ When braking hard it may not be the best to pulse brakes to upset the car's weight balance. What I do is turn on the Hazards, it's easy enough to catch people's attention.
something tells me if you have to slam on your brakes, both hands should be on the wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That's where I got the idea from, I've been considering adding it to some of my vehicles.
how would you go about doing that? (ie. wiring to activiate the flashers if brake goes from 0-75% in a split second?)
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #17

I imagine there are kits with a G sensor? At a basic level you could add a second brake switch that's lower down than the one that goes to the brake lights, so it only triggers if you're on the brakes hard. That should only take a switch (could get one from the wreckers) a DIY bracket and some wire.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Actually, I got this one before, but it appears that it's no longer available for some reason. It can detect the brake force and flash if the brake force exceeds the set threshold.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Re.../dp/B00OHPPH2U

Some installation pics are attached. One weird thing about the Series 2 RX-8 is that the side brake lights/running lights are LEDs, but the 3rd brake light is not. Most newer cars are the opposite(LED 3rd with halogen sides). I changed the halogen assembly to an LED one to match the sides, obviously.

And yeah I realized one of the wires was not connected properly. Fixed that once I noticed it.

It's supposed to work, but I also happen to set the threshold way too high at 0.8G while the hardest braking I have done is under 0.7G. If I feel like it then I might set a lower threshold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_165141.jpg (74.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171209_173344.jpg (107.2 KB, 0 views)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: