REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Speed limit DECREASE on 15 BC highway stretches (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715550-speed-limit-decrease-15-bc-highway-stretches.html)

Acura604 11-06-2018 10:55 AM

Speed limit DECREASE on 15 BC highway stretches

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-decreasing...uOh8LEWvApxIfA

The full list of decreased speed limits includes:

Highway 1: Cowichan Bay to Nanaimo - 90 km/h to 80 km/h
Highway 1: Whatcom Road to Hope - 110 km/h to 100 km/h
Highway 1: Boston Bar to Jackass Mountain - 100 km/h to 90 km/h
Highway 1: Tobiano to Savona - 100 km/h to 90 km/h
Highway 1: Chase to Sorrento - 100 km/h to 90 km/h
Highway 3: Sunday Summit to Princeton - 90 km/h to 80 km/h
Highway 7: Agassiz to Hope - 100 km/h to 90 km/h
Highway 19: Parksville to Campbell River - 120 km/h to 110 km/h
Highway 19: Bloedel to Sayward - 100 km/h to 90 km/h
Highway 97A: Grindrod to Sicamous - 90 km/h to 80 km/h
Highway 97C: Merritt to Aspen Grove - 110 km/h to 100 km/h
Highway 97C: Aspen Grove to Peachland - 120 km/h to 110 km/h
Highway 99: Horseshoe Bay to Squamish - 90 km/h to 80 km/h
Highway 99: Squamish to Whistler - 100 km/h to 90 km/h
Highway 99: Whistler to Pemberton - 90 km/h to 80 km/h

Jmac 11-06-2018 10:55 AM

Boooooooooooo

I generally go 5-10 over (so 95-100) and most people between Duncan and Nanaimo are flying by me. There are very rarely any accidents.

I’m guessing this is related to the ICBC deficit.

The Producer 11-06-2018 11:01 AM

wtf

Highway 99: Horseshoe Bay to Squamish - 90 km/h to 80 km/h
Highway 99: Squamish to Whistler - 100 km/h to 90 km/h
Highway 99: Whistler to Pemberton - 90 km/h to 80 km/h

Quote:

The RCMP will be boosting enforcement in crash-heavy areas in order to GRAB CASH make sure people are respecting the new limits.

AstulzerRZD 11-06-2018 11:07 AM

Apparently fatal crash rate up 118%, injury claims up 30%, claims up 43% on the highways raised to 120km/h according to UBC study

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...says-1.4857985

Full 3 year post implementation study conducted this year here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dr...rview-2018.pdf

Berzerker 11-06-2018 11:46 AM

I feel safer already!
Any idea what time of year the majority of fatalities occurred in? Is this a winter time majority?

Berz out.

320icar 11-06-2018 11:49 AM

Don’t care. I usually go 30-35 over anyways. That’s still some booshit tho

!Aznboi128 11-06-2018 11:55 AM

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Clarkson

UnknownJinX 11-06-2018 12:22 PM

I will just leave this one here again:

I guess anything to make up that 1.3 billion dollar deficit...

Eff-1 11-06-2018 12:28 PM

Seeing the Hwy 99 speed limits going down frustrates me. If they are saying there has been an increase in serious collisions, I would be interested in knowing the seasonality of those crashes. I suspect it's because when the weather is poor, people don't adjust accordingly.

In daylight and when the road is dry, the new speed limit is way too low and will frustrate drivers causing more incidents.

They did install those digital speed limits but whomever is responsible for changing those is clueless. There's been many times when they are stuck at 100 when the conditions are dark, foggy and rainy and I'm keeping it to 80 wondering why it still says 100!

underscore 11-06-2018 12:45 PM

On the one hand, rolling them down only in the areas where accidents increased seems logical. They tried it, it didn't work, so change it back. However

Quote:

inattentiveness, road conditions and driving too fast for conditions
I don't see what the speed limit has to do with any of those things.

Bouncing Bettys 11-06-2018 01:34 PM

If they were looking to make up for lost revenue, they should have been improving efforts to enforce proper lane usage. Left-lane hogs, following too close, sudden lane changes without enough space, pulling out or turning when it isn't safe, etc. The speed limits could have remained as high as they were and just as safe, if not more, if they actually enforced the rules of the road.

Dragon-88 11-06-2018 02:17 PM

Driving East on HWY at 10PM on a Monday night is a real headache.. Every lane is being blocked by slow drivers, those who want to move at a slightly faster than flowing traffic now have to weave in and out of cars.

Larger commercial trucks sit in the middle lane and if they want to pass slower cars then they hog the left lane, trying to speed up and get out driven by the C-Lai. Then that truck has to make its way back to the middle lane, which everyone is now denying because who the fuck wants to drive behind a truck in the left lane.

It gets to a point where I just straight cut you off if you're hogging the left lane. Some people get the point, most don't.

SumAznGuy 11-06-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8927277)
If they were looking to make up for lost revenue, they should have been improving efforts to enforce proper lane usage. Left-lane hogs, following too close, sudden lane changes without enough space, pulling out or turning when it isn't safe, etc.

Don't forget driving with headlights on or not driving with HIGH beams on.

originalhypa 11-06-2018 02:53 PM

I've put thousands of km on the S2S in the last 5 years.
The problem isn't speed, it's volume combined with varying driving skills. Who is more dangerous? The idiot in the black Camry weaving in and out of traffic, or the old fucker in the left lane doing 65?

SwiftRage

Great68 11-06-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8927253)
Boooooooooooo

I generally go 5-10 over (so 95-100) and most people between Duncan and Nanaimo are flying by me. There are very rarely any accidents.

I’m guessing this is related to the ICBC deficit.

I thought the section between Duncan to Ladysmith was always 90 even before the limit change?

If they're reducing a limit that was never increased in 2014, fuck these NDP assholes.

white rocket 11-06-2018 03:13 PM

Lame. Distracted driving and not knowing the rules is way more of a concern than actual speed. The difference between 80kph and 90kph when you're balls deep in your cell phone while driving is negligible.

Why not just make it 50kph everywhere and post up radar traps everywhere. Cash grab supreme!!

AzNightmare 11-06-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8927293)
Lame. Distracted driving and not knowing the rules is way more of a concern than actual speed. The difference between 80kph and 90kph when you're balls deep in your cell phone while driving is negligible.

Why not just make it 50kph everywhere and post up radar traps everywhere. Cash grab supreme!!

That's too obvious then.

fishCak3s 11-06-2018 04:36 PM

I literally said WTF out so loud that my baby woke up

westopher 11-06-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8927289)
I've put thousands of km on the S2S in the last 5 years.
The problem isn't speed, it's volume combined with varying driving skills. Who is more dangerous? The idiot in the black Camry weaving in and out of traffic, or the old fucker in the left lane doing 65?

SwiftRage

Realistically, with the slower speed limits, congestion could increase and cause more shit.

Jmac 11-06-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8927292)
I thought the section between Duncan to Ladysmith was always 90 even before the limit change?

If they're reducing a limit that was never increased in 2014, fuck these NDP assholes.

It was 90 km/h most of the way, yes, except 80 km/h through Chemainus and a 4 km section north of Duncan (from Sprott Rd to Beverly St).

Also, between Ladysmith and Nanaimo, it was all 90 km/h as well except a 3.5 km 80 km/h section around the airport.
Between Cowichan Bay and Duncan, it was all 90 km/h as well except a 2.5 km 80 km/h section south of Duncan (this section, which was just widened and repaved, will actually be reduced to 60 km/h according to the local paper).

It's amazing because, when I look at that list, I see a bunch of highways on the island that are actually prone to major accidents/fatalities having their speed limits reduced. Namely the Malahat (Hwy 1), Pat Bay Highway (Hwy 17), Highway 18 between Duncan and Lake Cowichan, and Highway 19 between Nanaimo and Parksville (specifically between Lantzville and Nanoose Bay).

I'd say the highway between Duncan and Nanaimo is probably the SAFEST 50 km section of highway on the island (possibly in BC), so this makes absolutely no fucking sense to me. But what do I know, I've only driven 30,000+ km/year on it for most of the past 20 years.

So this is 36.5 km of a 52 km stretch that will actually have its speed limit REDUCED by at least 10 km/h from the pre-2014 speed limits.

noclue 11-06-2018 05:03 PM

I bet it was due to too many retards speeding in the rain with shitty/non winter tires.

Jmac 11-06-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 8927314)
I bet it was due to too many retards speeding in the rain with shitty/non winter tires.

Except it's not, otherwise you would've seen it happen on the Malahat, which is frequently closed due to accidents rather than on comparatively safe sections.

westopher 11-06-2018 05:22 PM

Except they are putting speed cameras on the malahat instead.

Jmac 11-06-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8927323)
Except they are putting speed cameras on the malahat instead.

The speed cameras they've proposed will allow them to ticket based on AVERAGE speed, which will mean little to no difference during the time periods where major accidents actually occur (heavy traffic) and will only punish drivers during off-peak periods (where accidents seldom occur).

People speed on the Malahat in the passing zones to get past slow drivers before getting stuck behind another slow driver, so their average speed during heavy traffic is still likely to be below the speed limit even if they go 40 km/h over on the passing sections.

RRxtar 11-06-2018 06:41 PM

nowhere in the study does it break down accidents by month or season. the last 2 years on the coquihalla and connector have been absolute havoc and the worst road conditions in memory. the highway has been closed due to road conditions more in the last 2 years than any other year, and plowing and sanding has gone way downhill.

120km/h on the connector is as fucking safe as you can get, and lowering it to 110 makes absolutely no difference. i honestly cant believe people are crashing on the connector on a clear day. however, they needed to use the condition dependent speed limit signs more and lower the speed limit in poor conditions.