REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Community successfully repels religious invader

https://www.iflscience.com/editors-b...4cpgTK67lwVgAs

Quote:
A US tourist has reportedly been killed by a community of hunter-gatherer people living on an isolated island in the Bay of Bengal between India and Myanmar.

John Allen Chau, 27, was shot dead by people wielding bows and arrows after illegally traveling to North Sentinel Island last week, according to reports confirmed by authorities to AFP and Reuters.

Setting foot on this island is illegal in order to respect the Sentinelese way of life and protect them from diseases of the industrialized world. However, the man paid fishermen to ferry him closer to the island on November 16, 2018, from where he traveled to the island in his own canoe.

Chau was reportedly a missionary who made the perilous journey to preach Christianity to the Sentinelese people, according to local news website Andaman Sheekha.

"He was attacked by arrows but he continued walking,” said one source, quoted by AFP. "The fishermen saw the tribals tying a rope around his neck and dragging his body.”

"They were scared and fled but returned next morning to find his body on the seashore."
The Sentinelese stand guard on the beach of North Sentinel Island. © Christian Caron – Creative Commons A-NC-SA via Survival International

Seven of the fisherman who helped him reach the island have been arrested by Indian police as the islands are technically under the Indian union territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

“This tragedy should never have been allowed to happen,” Stephen Corry, Survival International’s Director, said in a statement. “The Indian authorities should have been enforcing the protection of the Sentinelese and their island for the safety of both the tribe, and outsiders."

“Instead, a few months ago the authorities lifted one of the restrictions that had been protecting the Sentinelese tribe’s island from foreign tourists, which sent exactly the wrong message, and may have contributed to this terrible event."

The Sentinelese are considered some of the most isolated people from modern civilization. They have lived on North Sentinel, a forested island around the size of Manhattan, for around 55,000 years. It is believed the community consists of less than 100 people who live in three small bands.

The Sentinelese people have expressed a wish to remain uncontacted on multiple occasions, with the occasional violent clash.

Following the catastrophic 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake, helicopters were sent to see if any remote island communities required any aid or assistance. While flying over North Sentinel, aid workers photographed a Sentinelese tribesman firing arrows at them to leave.

In January 2006, two fishermen were killed by Sentinelese people after their boat accidentally drifted too close to North Sentinel Island.

“Tribes like the Sentinelese face catastrophe unless their land is protected,” added Corry. “I hope this tragedy acts as a wake-up call to the Indian authorities to avert another disaster and properly protect the lands of both the Sentinelese, and the other Andaman tribes, from further invaders.”
I hope people will learn from his stupidity.

Advertisement
Old 11-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
lol book of mormon-esque
Old 11-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
SJWs have been seizing this opportunity to "own the religious right (Christians only)" for foolishly attempting to bring Christianity to these people. Meanwhile they seemingly support small-scale nationalism and lethal enforcement of borders.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What if the Indigenous or First Nations people did that to the White explorers who first came to North America, where would you be now?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
What if the Indigenous or First Nations people did that to the White explorers who first came to North America, where would you be now?
Chilling on my farm in India. When you see a bear in the wild you don't try to make it your bet.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
probably still here
Old 11-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
https://www.iflscience.com/editors-b...4cpgTK67lwVgAs

yes, the stupidity of letting them continue, ignorant and savage.

i say bless them with a mcdonalds.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,119 Times in 531 Posts
Forget McDonald’s. Bring them some beer and booze!
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,416 Times in 5,098 Posts
Unfortunately, even by going there, this individual has possibly introduced a litany of foreign bacteria and viruses that these people have zero immunity to... literally stepping foot on their island could wipe them out. Hence why it's illegal.

People calling this guy a martyr... he's more mentally damaged than martyr. Risking his life and doing something illegal to try and tell a dozen people who can't understand what he's saying about something that doesn't even exist. You go buddy. Enjoy "heaven".
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
yes, the stupidity of letting them continue, ignorant and savage.

i say bless them with a mcdonalds.
They have successfully lived on that Island for 60000 plus years. I wonder how long you would last on a remote island.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,796 Times in 1,762 Posts
Dude obviously had something wrong with him to think he had to "save" these people in the name of Christianity, and that he'd actually be successful.

Apparently he actually tried getting to them the day before he died, and was hit by an arrow and he couldn't take the hint.

Quote:
Chau repeatedly tried to contact the tribespeople and managed to reach the island the day before he was killed. He tried to offer gifts of fish and a football, he wrote in his diary.

“I heard the whoops and shouts from the hunt,” Chau wrote in an entry that was given to several media outlets by his mother. “I made sure to stay out of arrow range, but unfortunately that meant I was also out of good hearing range.

“So I got a little closer as they (about six from what I could see) yelled at me, I tried to parrot their words back to them. They burst out laughing most of the time, so they probably were saying bad words or insulting me.

“I hollered: ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you.’ I regret I began to panic slightly as I saw them string arrows in their bows. I picked up the fish and threw it towards them. They kept coming.

“I paddled like I never have in my life back to the boat. I felt some fear but mainly was disappointed. They didn’t accept me right away.”

One of the tribespeople – “a kid probably about 10 or so years old, maybe a teenager” – fired an arrow that struck his Bible, he wrote that night, onboard the boat of fishermen he paid 25,000 rupees (£275) to smuggle him close to the island. “Well, I’ve been shot by the Sentinelese.”

The next day as he prepared to make another approach, Chau wrote a letter to his parents. “You guys might think I’m crazy in all this, but I think it’s worth it to declare Jesus to these people,” he wrote.

“Please do not be angry at them or at God if I get killed. Rather, please live your lives in obedience to whatever he has called you to and I’ll see you again when you pass through the veil.

“This is not a pointless thing. The eternal lives of this tribe is at hand and I can’t wait to see them around the throne of God worshipping in their own language, as Revelations 7:9-10 states.
I don't know if he was brainwashed or mentally disabled or both.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #13

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Shoulda brought the boom stick.
Screwed up
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
during the decade of 1800s a white explorer met their "chief" and murdered him on the spot,They trusted no outsider after that and I Guess History has being passed down it might happen again.

Two boats went a drift in the 2000's....They shot them with arrows tied a rope around his neck dragging him to his death.

the Indian government also tried gifting pigs to the islanders and they killed them,but buried them on the beach.

know the facts before thinking these people kill without a cause.

Quote:

Who Knows,People around the Globe have being fighting since the beginning of time for whats theirs,The hatred keeps people warm now,but will leave you cold in your grave later.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 11-22-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,666 Times in 3,114 Posts
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post

Who Knows,People around the Globe have being fighting since the beginning of time for whats theirs,The hatred keeps people warm now,but will leave you cold in your grave later.
I remember watching a documentary on the behavioral similarities between chimps and humans.
Some chimps would show empathy to another tribe if they were hungry and share their food willingly.

And some would bash the others skull open with a rock for no other reason than being from a tribe other than their own.

There aren't many other animals out there who possess both those qualities with such inconsistency and fluidity.
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Shoulda brought the boom stick.
Screwed up
They where just standing there ground. You have no problem with that right?
Old 11-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #18
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Not the first time some geniuses go to a places they specifically tole not to, then resources have to mobilized to bail them out.

Dis time he ded.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #19

Quote:
They where just standing there ground. You have no problem with that right?
still steady riding my dick all over the boards i see
-Norm Franz
Old 11-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Manic! has no problem with this tribe killing for 'standing there ground'. What does Manic! think of the USA protecting its borders?
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
still steady riding my dick all over the boards i see
When you make a stupid commit about trespassing on someones land and shooting them I have to respond. This Island has been declared off limits by the Indian government just like area 51 has been declared off limits to civilians by the US government. Go try to enter area 51 with a boomstick and see what happens.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #22

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I'm pretty sure Welfare was making a humourous reference to Army Of Darkness where the main character, transported to 1300, uses his modern weapons to instill fear in the Medieval population, not trying to be a tough guy.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

I don't know if he was brainwashed or mentally disabled or both.
Well, he was religious
Old 11-24-2018, 12:14 AM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
“He wanted to introduce them to Jesus, they returned the favour.”
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I hope buddy goes to Hell for potentially wiping out these people with a disease. Would be nice if he got to the pearly gates and said "God I was trying to spread the word of Jesus and bring them to you!" and God said "You broke the law, and could have wiped out some of my people that have existed in peace for thousands of years. To Hell with you."

Berz out.