REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
Bombay and Bowring going out of business

https://www.blogto.com/fashion_style...goes-bankrupt/

Wife is sad. However they got shit on sale for 70% off regular price.
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Honestly, I never understand how they stayed in business for so long...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
It's too bad when a company goes under like this. $50 million in debt is nothing to joke about, as that is going to hit the bottom line of so many of their suppliers who will be lucky to get pennies on the dollar once this is all done.

Bombay was founded in 1978. It makes me wonder if their management had become stale. I've been in corporate for a lot of years now and have seen companies turn around their bad fortune by finding young blood to take over management. Whereas there have been a few companies that I frequent who still have the same management since the 80's and 90's. Funny thing, those are the companies who seem to be treading water as opposed to growing. I wonder if this is the same sort of situation, or just a sign of the times.

All I know is my mother spends a fortune in these kinds of places, and she is not alone. Women over the age of 50 filled these stores.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
my entire house is furnished with bombay crap... the quality of the items are pretty damn good compared to Ikea.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I need to get out more, never heard of Bombay.

I agree with Hypa, 50 million isn't nothing to sneeze at and it's all the small vendors that supplied them that are going to get screwed the worst.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
my entire house is furnished with bombay crap... the quality of the items are pretty damn good compared to Ikea.

all my bombay shit is falling apart

how can a dining table delaminate :mindblown:

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Traditional businesses have been failing a lot in the past decade or so like Futureshop, A&B Sound, Toysrus... etc.

The way I see it is that they failed to adapt to the time. Worse yet, their entire management fail to adapt. When they face problems and bring in new CEOs, they stick to people with traditional way of doing business instead of young blood who understand the new concept and is willing to think outside of the box. So it's always cost cutting here and there... with very little innovation or change into their business model.

A lesson for those who invest in companies stocks, don't just check the company's book/performance and the business they are in, but also their board of directors. You want a board with a good diversity. If the entire board consists of old folks of 50s-60s, you know there's a problem.

I'm not ageist or anything, experiences do count. However, the key is "diversity". A board with only old people can only think in old ways.

In the era of internet, what has been minimized is the speed and cost of transfer of information. A business will have to adapt to that wave and flow with it or it will stagnant. Worse, it's ripen for major market distruption. Think Blockbuster in the late 90s and early 00s. It was beyond believe that they'd go out of business. However, they didn't adapt and failed miserably.
If they were to adapt to the early business model of Netflix, they would have put Netflix out of business in no time.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Honestly, I never understand how they stayed in business for so long...
I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard of this company and based on the name I have no idea what they sell atm.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
I was literally in my moms living room yesterday talking about her $10k living set that she got at Bombay. She said she wanted an excuse to get rid of all of it! haha

too funny. And sad at the same time!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
My dad always said that u need to adapt with the times or else u ended up falling

My always reminds me of Kodak films, they were the first to develop and come up with the while digital photography but they didn't continue cuz they were afraid it would screw with their film business (look were that ended up lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Do they sell appliances like freezers? Currently looking to buy a new one during black Friday. Ill be happy if they do.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #12

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
nope they only do furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:34 AM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I thought they went bankrupt years ago, I was shocked to see a store of theirs a few months ago, I was like "wtf"

I remember buying a display pen/pen holder or something like that years and years ago and it fell apart...I was like seriously?? so never shopped there again
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Had to stop of at Mark's in Langley last night and ended up walking in to Bowring just to look. Not a whole lot there. Everything is 20% off. All that's there that would be worth considering for me would've been wine glasses.

If it's not raining I'll walk in to Bombay on Saturday and take a peek.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #15

after reading the title I thought the Gin maker was going out of business, which would such because that is my fav brand of Gin...
Old 11-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #16
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,441 Times in 5,113 Posts
Bankruptcy sales are almost never deals, they hire another company to come in and they do all kinds of shit like raising prices and then putting a percentage off and just push push push... they’re professionals at it and deals are purely illusion.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #17
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I need to get out more, never heard of Bombay.

I agree with Hypa, 50 million isn't nothing to sneeze at and it's all the small vendors that supplied them that are going to get screwed the worst.
Probably cause you're not a 40+yo white woman lol

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #18

I always thought Bowring was a strange name.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #19
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Retail like these are dying. I'm in mgmt team of a home decor supplier and retail is dying. We have completely changed our strategy and are going online. Wayfair Target online are where its at. Amazon will also soon squeeze out suppliers like us.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote