REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
NDP Announces 100% Zero emission car sales in BC by 2040

I can't believe no-one's talking about this on this car forum.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018...4LVZPlHu6MwINA

Quote:
In a move aimed at removing a major source of air pollution and climate change, the provincial government has put British Columbia on a path to require the sale of all new light-duty cars and trucks to be zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) by the year 2040.

Premier John Horgan has announced the government, in partnership with the B.C. Green caucus, will introduce legislation next spring to phase in targets for the sale of zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs). This legislation will set targets of 10% ZEV sales by 2025, 30% by 2030, and 100% by 2040, while government will take additional steps to make ZEVs more affordable.

“There’s nothing more important than taking care of the place we call home,” said Premier Horgan. “As a province, we need to work together to put B.C. on a path that powers our future with clean, renewable energy and reduces air pollution.”

The Premier outlined a three-point plan to kick-start and fuel the rollout of the ZEV standard:

Expanding the size of the province’s electric vehicle direct-current fast-charger (DCFC) network to 151 sites, with 71 already completed or underway and, leveraging federal and private-sector dollars, another 80 in the works.
Increasing the provincial incentive program, administered by the New Car Dealers Association of BC, by $20 million this year to encourage more British Columbians to buy clean energy cars now. This will bring the incentive program up to $57 million in total.
Reviewing the incentive program with an eye to expanding it over time, so buying a ZEV becomes a more affordable option for middle- and lower-income British Columbians.
“If we want British Columbians to be part of the solution for reducing air pollution, we need to make clean energy vehicles more affordable, available and convenient,” said Premier Horgan, who added that this initiative is the first major policy commitment of the government’s upcoming strategy to meet B.C.’s legislated climate goals.

“Everywhere I go, I hear from British Columbians who are excited to embrace electric vehicles,” said Andrew Weaver, leader of the B.C. Green caucus. “As an EV owner myself, I can attest to how good it feels to save fuel and repair costs, while doing my part to reduce emissions. The B.C. ZEV mandate is an exciting development that will support British Columbians as we make the shift to the low-carbon economy.”

British Columbia already has one of the largest charging and fuelling infrastructure networks – electric and hydrogen fuelling – in Canada and, with 12,000 clean energy vehicles registered, the highest adoption rates of electric vehicles in the country.

Think this could actually become a practical reality in 21 years?
Does this spell the end of enthusiasts like us, or just a change in format?
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
maybe hulk horgan can drive his tesla down the alaskan highway

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
too little too late

should've done 50% sales by 2025, and 100% by 2030

hopefully we'll get electric Lotus and scaled down i8 and Taycan coupes by then
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
I've heard similar things from a bunch of countries, with zero plans on how they're going to increase clean energy production enough to match the increase in demand. Or how exactly they plan to force the manufacturers to develop and sell electric vehicles that are suitable for our needs.

As for enthusiasts, vehicles are already becoming less and less enthusiast friendly, but someone compared a fun vehicle to a horse in a way that makes a lot of sense. It used to be that everyone used a horse for everything, then the car came along and eventually riding a horse became a recreational activity only done by people who like horses. Likewise the people using a car just to get around will eventually end up in EVs, with only the enthusiasts using their ICE vehicles for fun.

The crappy part about that is I could see them ending up too much like a horse, where you can't use them on the main roads for everyday use, and most people have to pay someone loads of money to store them and occasionally use them only in specialized areas.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
e crappy part about that is I could see them ending up too much like a horse, where you can't use them on the main roads for everyday use, and most people have to pay someone loads of money to store them and occasionally use them only in specialized areas.
I already have a car that fits this analogy.

I think the big difference is that the government hasn't banned the sales of new horses, you can at least you can still buy a new horse if you want to enjoy that hobby.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,668 Times in 3,116 Posts
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ric-car-future

Its china thats leading the revolution.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
So we already have energy shortages and rolling blackouts in many places due to supply/demand. What's going to happen when every single car needs to be plugged in and powered up to drive? Pipe dream for this to happen in 20 years. Oh and fuck Horgan for blaming cars for "climate change"

Still gonna race tho

Berz out.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I've heard similar things from a bunch of countries, with zero plans on how they're going to increase clean energy production enough to match the increase in demand. Or how exactly they plan to force the manufacturers to develop and sell electric vehicles that are suitable for our needs.

As for enthusiasts, vehicles are already becoming less and less enthusiast friendly, but someone compared a fun vehicle to a horse in a way that makes a lot of sense. It used to be that everyone used a horse for everything, then the car came along and eventually riding a horse became a recreational activity only done by people who like horses. Likewise the people using a car just to get around will eventually end up in EVs, with only the enthusiasts using their ICE vehicles for fun.

The crappy part about that is I could see them ending up too much like a horse, where you can't use them on the main roads for everyday use, and most people have to pay someone loads of money to store them and occasionally use them only in specialized areas.
They call those garages and the track

It will come to that point for sure. It is just a question of how soon.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
^ that's what I'm referring to, but can you imagine having to pay to store your car and only being allowed to use it on the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
So we already have energy shortages and rolling blackouts in many places due to supply/demand. What's going to happen when every single car needs to be plugged in and powered up to drive?
I didn't even think of peak demand, what's gonna happen right after rush hour when everyone gets home and plugs in? I can only imagine they'd have to be networked in such a way to balance the system and allow the ones on E to charge faster while the more topped up ones have to wait.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

I think something to remember is that in the last 20 years the advances we have made in technologies across all sectors have been incredible. You'd be foolish to think we won't come up with solutions to these problems with a timeline of 20 years.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

By the time this happens, I won't even care because I won't be doing the driving. If cars drive themselves, what does it matter what is powering it?

Until then, I'm gonna keep on buying V8 sedans... lol
Old 11-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #12

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
So we already have energy shortages and rolling blackouts in many places due to supply/demand. What's going to happen when every single car needs to be plugged in and powered up to drive? Pipe dream for this to happen in 20 years. Oh and fuck Horgan for blaming cars for "climate change"

https://youtu.be/1Cp3CRmcAJU
Still gonna race tho

Berz out.
https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sou...-gas-emissions

Now, of course, transportation takes into account far more than passenger vehicles (includes planes, trains, ships, commercial trucks, etc.) but passenger vehicles are a significant source of GHGs.

That said, this is a publicity stunt to get people to forget about their ride sharing debacle for a minute.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #13
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Don't mind this. Probably will happen. Look at cars 20 years ago and cars today. There are a ton of Tesla on the road already, see them everywhere. Charge time is getting shorter and shorter, similar to that of small electronics like phones, headphones. Technological innovations will take care of the nuances setbacks that EVs today face.

These manufacturers need to step the fuck up and stop making hideous EVs though. There is 0 excuses for car designs like those of the Leaf and the Bolt.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #14

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
by 2040, we can go time travelling

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #15
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'm just gonna make a quick comment before I come back with a more detailed reply -- why are we doing this as a province instead of doing it as a country? BC is not California. Heck, the entire Canada has a smaller population than CA. What's the point of doing this as a province alone? Much of the vehicle standards are defined at the federal level. We shouldn't be doing this at the provincial level.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #16

^ because there's no way butt-hurt Albertans relying on an antiquated industry will be on board
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Yeah dream on. This might work in cities like Vancouver and Richmond, good luck up north. I'd love to see an electric vehicle's battery pack survive -40 temperatures all winter.

I'd also love to see the range on an electric pickup with two 700l tidy tanks (3000lb) for equipment in the bed hauling a 15000lb trailer with a skid steer on the back, 500km from the nearest "fast charge" station. Also, before the "hurrr durrr we'll build more fast charge stations", how about places where power is provided by generator? i.e every camp (logging, mining, fishing, industry) job ever. I'd just love to see the genset requirements of charging heavy equipment and trucks.

Also, the time factor. Sure you can in theory fast charge a car in 20 mins, but a piece of equipment? A one ton truck? probably an hour at least. Operations do not have an hour every 4-8 hours to charge stuff, it's 10 mins every 10 hours to fuel machines and change operators.

Sure, replace your average civic or corolla, or crv/cx5 with electric vehicles, I think we'll always have ICE trucks and sports cars.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Wonder if he had this on his mind with the Site C decision..

I listened so somthing recently where it takes up to 30 years to phase out any gasoline vehicle because that’s the potential one has to last, especially with newer vehicles that have become ultra reliable. So really, if you stop selling fuel powered cars in 2045 it still could take up to 2070 to completely phase out the need for gasoline.

You can’t just force people into EV’s
Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Yeah dream on. This might work in cities like Vancouver and Richmond, good luck up north. I'd love to see an electric vehicle's battery pack survive -40 temperatures all winter.

I'd also love to see the range on an electric pickup with two 700l tidy tanks (3000lb) for equipment in the bed hauling a 15000lb trailer with a skid steer on the back, 500km from the nearest "fast charge" station. Also, before the "hurrr durrr we'll build more fast charge stations", how about places where power is provided by generator? i.e every camp (logging, mining, fishing, industry) job ever. I'd just love to see the genset requirements of charging heavy equipment and trucks.

Also, the time factor. Sure you can in theory fast charge a car in 20 mins, but a piece of equipment? A one ton truck? probably an hour at least. Operations do not have an hour every 4-8 hours to charge stuff, it's 10 mins every 10 hours to fuel machines and change operators.

Sure, replace your average civic or corolla, or crv/cx5 with electric vehicles, I think we'll always have ICE trucks and sports cars.
These are the exact problem innovators will have to solve.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #20
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
so, anyone think about how we're supposed to charge cars that are parked down the street? run extension cords all over the place? not everyone lives in a cozy home with a 2 car garage with 2 cars in the house.

the move away from gasoline is inevitable. but the technology isnt even close to creating the infrastructure to sustain that. technology might move along reasonably, but infrastructure implementation is painfully slow. 20 years isn't a long time at all.

i dont think the current battery technology is the answer either and battery 'improvements' arent it either. i think we're still waiting for some undiscovered technology before we can really turn the corner.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #21
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
also how do we have a trump thread, who realistically doesn't have very much affect on our lives, which is nothing more than manic and welfare yapping at eachother... but we don't have a BC/Canadian politics thread? theres enough nonsense going on daily to make that the most active thread on RS easily
Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #22

90% of Canadians live by the 49th parallel

DJI flying cameras few years ago had their battery heated, i think winter temps are the least of the hurdles

the heaviest of HD work rigs will probably stay on diesel, did you even read the first sentence of the source?

Quote:
British Columbia on a path to require the sale of all new light-duty cars and trucks to be zero-emission vehicles

how much more power is going to be generated from Site C?

Quote:

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-21-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Just means I’ll have to build a track car. No biggie, hopefully not an electric one.

Personally I don’t think electric is the answer. I’ll stick with Toyota and their hydrogen ideas.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:

Just because the cities are doing it doesn’t mean the whole country will. Half our country doesn’t even have road access. They invented those a long time ago too.

The good thing about a charging battery is it creates heat. So just don’t leave your car unplugged in -40 lol. Regular cars don’t like -40 either. They have batteries too.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #25

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Wonder if he had this on his mind with the Site C decision..

I listened so somthing recently where it takes up to 30 years to phase out any gasoline vehicle because that’s the potential one has to last, especially with newer vehicles that have become ultra reliable. So really, if you stop selling fuel powered cars in 2045 it still could take up to 2070 to completely phase out the need for gasoline.

You can’t just force people into EV’s
The report/study/re-examination of Site C by a consulting firm that was ordered when the NDP took power estimated that approximately 22% of new vehicle sales in BC would be EVs by 2030.

Essentially the study found that, without the three major LNG plants that got canned (1 came back), it's a huge waste, but since we're half done, it's essentially at a tipping point where it could either be continued or stopped for roughly similar long-term costs.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote