REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Crack, Bank, Pop - Burble on New Cars (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715629-crack-bank-pop-burble-new-cars.html)

BIC_BAWS 11-24-2018 06:59 PM

Crack, Bank, Pop - Burble on New Cars

I was looking into a less restrictive exhaust system for my car for the (rather minimal) HP gains. I went on a tangent and started looking into burble tunes if I were to go catless.

Most of the newer performance cars have this "burble tune" and catalytic converters. Some examples are the, Jaguar F-Type, Range Rover SVRs, BMWs, VW GTi/Rs, etc. "Burble Tune" is usually excess fuel overrun when off throttle.
Common knowledge says that this would kill cats, thus, it's only recommended for catless setups. How do these cars have the burble tune but still have a catalytic convertor?

While I would want the cracks, pops, and burbles, I probably wouldn't do it without some kind of switch that can turn it off. Plus, I've driven around and been in cars without cats - it's a terrible experience. The smell is nauseating.

twitchyzero 11-24-2018 07:40 PM

i wanted to ask people who drives the Abarth

does your vehicle that sound like it ate bad ethnic food all the time, get old fast?

at least in the high-end (M5, F-Type) you can tone it down

hud 91gt 11-24-2018 09:20 PM

I think a majority of the cars withthe burble isn’t a tune at all. Rather just a large diameter pipe. Expansion and rapid cooling causing the lovely noises.

dovo 11-24-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8929797)
i wanted to ask people who drives the Abarth

does your vehicle that sound like it ate bad ethnic food all the time, get old fast?

at least in the high-end (M5, F-Type) you can tone it down

I suppose you make those wonderful sounds when uou injest ethnic food. Nah it doesnt get old. I like my abarth with stock exhaust. If you go catless then it’ll probably be obnoxious.

toyota86 11-24-2018 10:27 PM

You can tune it to pop or tune it out entirely. Most newer cars that can be flashed have maps in the ecu related to overrun. It gets more complicated with things like decel fuel cut, injector timing, and other random compensation maps. Personal preference but I like the bite without the bark. When possible, I try to tune out all the pop in every car I own. Having a straight pipe exhaust will certainly amplify the gurgle if you don't want to mess with the software side.

320icar 11-25-2018 08:28 AM

Also it should be noted the “aggressiveness” of the stock cracks and pops is VERY different compared to an aftermarket tune. Just look at my car.

Stock pops

Pops and bangs tune

hud 91gt 11-25-2018 08:40 AM

Hahaha that’s retarded. Sounds like my Z when I first installed my megasquirt.

Badhobz 11-25-2018 09:16 AM

my Maserati has crazy burble and pops upon lift and its been 10 years with no issues to the cats. But V8s burble and pop much more anyways don't they ?

BIC_BAWS 11-25-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8929845)
Also it should be noted the “aggressiveness” of the stock cracks and pops is VERY different compared to an aftermarket tune. Just look at my car.

IMO aftermarket pops could get boring and annoying real quick. Stock pops still sound good though. Still not sure how the cats survive.

AstulzerRZD 11-26-2018 01:47 PM

The cracks and pops on this are instant VI worthy. A solid second worth of them every time you let off the throttle.

AzNightmare 11-26-2018 02:31 PM

I have pops and crackles but it's just a tune. I still have oem cat, and my tuner told me in his experience, he's never seen anything bad happen... so I took his word.

Mine's tuned to pop and crackle mildly so on decal, it goes off, but maybe 4-5 pops, or sometimes just one loud pop. Never goes off popcorn style (cause I personally find that annoying), and it's definitely controllable, as it doesn't really go off unless I'm driving aggressively at 3-4k+ rpm.

My exhaust is also one of the more quieter aftermarket ones, can probably slip under the radar until I get on it past 3-4k rpm. Perfect setup for the city when you want to stay out of trouble, and still fun when you want to be obnoxious. This kind of control helps it not get annoying quickly, and still exciting whenever you hear it again.

SkunkWorks 11-26-2018 09:55 PM

Watching the videos above made me realize how old I'm getting...

I remember when having pops and bangs out the exhaust was a source of pride to me less than 5 years ago now, that FoRS above? Couldn't wait to stop the video.

Different strokes for different folks though. Some people like 'em big and fake while others like them natural...

nismodrifter 11-27-2018 10:58 AM

^yep me too.

I find it very annoying on all the cars. don't care how expensive the car is, bugs the hell out of me.

yray 11-27-2018 11:01 AM

you can fart all you want at 1k rpm but there is nothing like a real fart when you push the engine to its limits

jjson 11-27-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8929973)
I have pops and crackles but it's just a tune. I still have oem cat, and my tuner told me in his experience, he's never seen anything bad happen... so I took his word.

Mine's tuned to pop and crackle mildly so on decal, it goes off, but maybe 4-5 pops, or sometimes just one loud pop. Never goes off popcorn style (cause I personally find that annoying), and it's definitely controllable, as it doesn't really go off unless I'm driving aggressively at 3-4k+ rpm.

My exhaust is also one of the more quieter aftermarket ones, can probably slip under the radar until I get on it past 3-4k rpm. Perfect setup for the city when you want to stay out of trouble, and still fun when you want to be obnoxious. This kind of control helps it not get annoying quickly, and still exciting whenever you hear it again.

What car do you have? I'm thinking of going for a tune so I can achieve this.

Nlkko 11-27-2018 12:24 PM

Lol this is so rice. Stock only guys.

AzNightmare 11-27-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjson (Post 8930106)
What car do you have? I'm thinking of going for a tune so I can achieve this.

Fiesta ST. YMMV depending on your setup and tune of course.

bomberR17 11-27-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8930110)
Lol this is so rice. Stock only guys.

A lot of the stock cars do this. I think they are the ones who popularized it since almost every manufacturer's performance line has exhaust that pops.

BIC_BAWS 10-27-2019 02:27 PM

Bumping this old thread due to relevant article:

https://jalopnik.com/how-snap-crackl...r-h-1839378308

Quote:

In the Hyundai Veloster N, according to Feske’s conversation with Hyundai’s reps, when you let off the gas pedal the engine actually waits until the exhaust valves are open to ignite the air and fuel mixture, allowing a lot more noise to escape.

This changing of where peak pressure occurs off-throttle, apparently, is “specifically done to prevent turbo lag” in the Veloster N’s N Mode.

“So that when you’re shifting gears,” explains Fenske, “instead of having that pressure force the cylinder down and cutting all power, you create that pressure and you have it in the exhaust. By doing so, it keeps that turbocharger spooled up while you shift. And so you don’t lose that boost as you get into the next gear.”

Hyundai didn’t invent this concept, but it makes a pretty good example of how those intense “gunfire noises” you hear coming from the car aren’t exclusively for theatrics.

However, on cars that are supercharged or naturally aspirated, the snap-crackle-popping a lot of us are fond of isn’t quite as easy to justify. In fact, it hurts your fuel economy, forces your revs to hang high longer as you let off the gas, and inhibit engine braking.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Akinari 10-27-2019 03:57 PM

My 328i (N52 6spd) can crackle and pop nonstop with a secondary cat and muffler delete, stock tune, I control it entirely with my right foot. Continuously feathering the gas produces an endless stream of popcorn from the exhaust, but in between shifts there usually aren't any crackles aside from shifting from 1st to 2nd which usually results in a loud pop.

320icar 10-27-2019 04:33 PM

@bic_baws that is the fundamental basis for ALS that was made popular for rally cars. Though the physical system is quite different

twitchyzero 10-27-2019 05:29 PM

matt moran/wrxfan creeps me out more than that schmee guy

donk. 10-28-2019 03:44 AM

You should pick one of these up while your at it for max coolness

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Fake-Du...YAAOSwk1hc1jLr

Z3guy 10-28-2019 07:53 AM

Don't blame the car or even the tune, blame the idiot driver for making the car fart and burp all the time. If you don't accelerate and then rapidly decelerate, your car won't pop and crackle that much.......on my M2, even in traction mode, it won't crackle and pop that much if I don't aggressively back off the gas pedal......

yray 10-28-2019 10:10 AM

I think my car burbles more after owning it for 5 years... probably fucked up the cat :lol