REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
GM to halt production at several plants, cut more than 14,000 jobs

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/gm-u...-quarters.html

General Motors said Monday it plans to effectively halt production at a number of plants in the U.S. and Canada next year and cut more than 14,000 jobs in a massive restructuring that will cost up to $3.8 billion.

In response, the United Auto Workers vowed to use "every legal, contractual and collective bargaining avenue" to fight the changes.

U.S. President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also criticized the automaker's decision.

"I am not happy," Trump told reporters on the White House lawn Monday afternoon, speaking of CEO Mary Barra. "You know, the United States saved General Motors. For her to take that company out of Ohio is not good. I think she is going to put something back in soon."

Trudeau took to Twitter earlier in the day to express support for the workers at the Oshawa Car Assembly Plant, in Ontario. "Yesterday, I spoke with @ GM's Mary Barra to express my deep disappointment in the closure," he said. She met with National Economic Director Larry Kudlow at the White House hours after making the announcement.

The Detroit automaker said plants in Ohio, Michigan, Maryland, and Ontario will be "unallocated" in 2019 and it will cease operations at two additional plants outside of North America by the end of next year. It will also wind down operations at propulsion plants in White Marsh, Maryland, and Warren, Michigan.

Although the decision effectively shuts down those plants, the company wouldn't say outright that they are closing. Shuttering a plant is a matter of negotiation with the UAW, GM spokeswoman Stephanie Rice said in an email.

"We are announcing the cessation of certain products resulting in a number of plants being without allocated volume to produce," she said.

The company plans to cut 15 percent of its salaried workers, resulting in a 25 percent reduction of its executive ranks, the company said. The cuts will eliminate more than 14,000 jobs in all, roughly 8,100 white collar positions and more than 6,000 factory jobs, according to the company.

GM employed 180,000 people as of Dec. 31 — 77,000 of which were salaried, according to a regulatory filing. About 51,000 employees were represented by labor unions, including the UAW.

"This callous decision by GM to reduce or cease operations in American plants, while opening or increasing production in Mexico and China plants for sales to American consumers, is, in its implementation, profoundly damaging to our American workforce," said Terry Dittes, a UAW vice president who leads negotiations with GM.

The reorganization is estimated to save about $6 billion a year by the end of 2020, the company said. The company previously tried thinning its ranks through buyouts offered to some 18,000 eligible employees in October.

Former GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said the automaker historically would have raised sales incentives to try to sell more cars before resorting to plant closures.

"Nowadays GM looks at the hard reality, says we've got a demand problem on cars, what are we going to do about it. We have to shut some facilities and move production to truck plants," Lutz said on CNBC's "Halftime Report." "So I think what we are seeing is a fast-acting and reality-oriented GM management."

The largest U.S. automaker has invested heavily in crossovers, SUVs and trucks as consumer demand has shifted from traditional passenger cars. It is a move mirrored by decisions at several automakers, perhaps most notably Ford and Fiat-Chrysler. Ford has also said it plans to reduce its salaried workforce, telling investors Oct. 5 it will provide the details to those layoffs by the second quarter of next year.

"The actions we are taking today continue our transformation to be highly agile, resilient and profitable, while giving us the flexibility to invest in the future," Barra said in a statement. "We recognize the need to stay in front of changing market conditions and customer preferences to position our company for long-term success."

Sam Huszczo, who owns SGH Wealth Management outside of Detroit, said many of his financial planning clients at GM told him they believe about 4,000 people with average salaries of around $120,000 already took buyouts offered last month.

About 2,250 people have already taken the voluntary buyouts, not 4,000, said spokeswoman Juli Huston-Rough. She declined to comment on their average salaries.

Trading in GM was briefly halted before the announcement. Its shares jumped as much as 7.8 percent in intraday trading.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/26/gm-ch...ric-investmet/

GM announced today a major restructuring that will involve “doubling” the company’s investment in electric and self-driving cars, but they will pay for it by shutting down factories and laying off thousands of workers.

The company has also confirmed that the Chevy Volt will be discontinued.

Similar to what Ford did earlier this year, GM says that it is moving away from sedans and it is instead focusing on “trucks, crossovers and SUVs.”

They now say that they will prioritize “investments in its next-generation battery-electric architectures”:

“GM now intends to prioritize future vehicle investments in its next-generation battery-electric architectures. As the current vehicle portfolio is optimized, it is expected that more than 75 percent of GM’s global sales volume will come from five vehicle architectures by early next decade.”

CEO Mary Barra said that it would result in doubling the company’s investment in electric vehicles and self-driving technology.

Last year, the company announced several new electric vehicles to launch in the next few years, including 5 crossovers, 2 minivans, 7 SUVs, and more.

The restructuring announced today is coming at a high cost for GM employees.

The company confirmed that they will be laying off almost 15,000 employees and closing down 5 factories (3 assembly plants and 2 powertrain plants):

Oshawa Assembly in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.
Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly in Detroit.
Lordstown Assembly in Warren, Ohio.
Baltimore Operations in White Marsh, Maryland.
Warren Transmission Operations in Warren, Michigan.
These plants will stop operation next year and several vehicles that they make, like the Chevrolet Cruze, the Cadillac CT6 and the Buick LaCrosse, will be discontinued.

A GM spokesperson also confirmed to Electrek that Chevy Volt production will be discontinued by March 2019. Past rumors have indicated that a Crossover could replace the Volt, though that was considered to be years out.

Electrek’s Take
It’s a sad day for many families out there. Good jobs are going away.

I appreciate GM increasing its investment in electric vehicles, but what they are announcing today on that front is very vague while the layoffs are very concrete.

I wish that they would have instead invested in converting those plants to electric vehicle production like Volkswagen is doing in Europe.

Though I might have an idea of who could use one or two of those factories and workforce.

I remember a little company called Tesla taking over a shuttered GM plant in California and it turned out OK. More on that later.

As for the Chevy Volt, I liked the 2019 version, but we kind of knew the end was coming. The vehicle had a good run and it certainly helped in the transition to fully electric vehicles. As with the Bolt, Chevy could have done a lot better with the Volt if it had increased its marketing and trained its dealerships better.

-Fred Lambert/ ELECTREK.CO
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
GM now intends to prioritize future vehicle investments in its next-generation battery-electric architectures. As the current vehicle portfolio is optimized, it is expected that more than 75 percent of GM’s global sales volume will come from five vehicle architectures by early next decade
seems like a timely response to those asking how BC can go fully electric on the road by 2030

looking forward to seeing some electric crossoverfs, sorry if that's too cookie-cutter for yall V8 fans
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,184 Times in 358 Posts
Seems like Ford was a couple months ahead on cancelling their passenger cars.

No surprise as interest towards them declines and the Japanese continue to increase their market share in those segments. Those who need to own a vehicle for utility and flexibility will continue to buy SUVs and trucks.

For the urban city dwellers who don't, I expect in a couple years that GM and Ford will each launch mobility services to cover these users with a focus on electrification.

I expect to see...

1) Subscription services that lease PHEVs or range extended EVs on a month to month basis. Care by Volvo and other subscription models are trial runs to learn and get infrastructure setup within the company.

2) Fleets of electric AVs or shuttles routed by AI that will deliver users either to their destination or to point 3. OnStar + Maven infrastructure + whatever they're building will likely be adapted for fleet management.

3) eScooters/eBikes also owned by the company for last mile transport. GM is planning an eBike for sale, while Ford bought a scooter sharing company.

4) Some focus on in vehicle services while being delivered to a destination (entertainment, ads, grocery shopping, etc). GM has already started displaying ads on infotainment.

5) Trials or launches of these new business models in Europe, where there are more smart city projects, congestion chargers from driving yourself into the city, and city centers are starting to ban vehicles from city centers.

6) Urban dealerships will remain for high end products (i.e. luxury watches generally bought in store). Suburban dealerships will likely help with fleet management/service (but rental companies might also take over this role).

Cancelling production and discontinuing vehicles likely needed reduce capital and operating expenses so that they make this shift.

The unknown to me is when we'll see consolidation of V2V and city to vehicle communication protocols.

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 11-26-2018 at 01:36 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
2008? Is that you?
Outlook is not good here.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
So the bailouts were just a big waste of taxpayer money?
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts

One of my cars has an Oshawa sticker on it.

In Engrish.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #7

This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #8

Do we really expect giant corporations to put employee interests before profits just because we handed them some taxpayer money? Just like those corporate tax cuts are working so well for the American working class.
Sorry guys, thats not how it works.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Do we still own GM stock as tax payers?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Do we really expect giant corporations to put employee interests before profits just because we handed them some taxpayer money? Just like those corporate tax cuts are working so well for the American working class.
That's one of the reasons they caved in 08.
The fat pension plans and benefits that were negotiated over the years had come home to roost.
They were paying ridiculous amounts of money out on those plans
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 11-26-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #11

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Do we still own GM stock as tax payers?
No, the Conservatives sold the stocks in 2015.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
So where’s the bailout for ICBC
Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
That's one of the reasons they caved in 08.
The fat pension plans and benefits that were negotiated over the years had come home to roost.
They were paying ridiculous amounts of money out on those plans
Its funny, because generationally, people who were taken care of the most, are telling people now, how they shouldn't expect to be taken care of by anyone.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So where’s the bailout for ICBC
I'd much rather a crown corporation burn my money than a private one, although I'd prefer neither to do so.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Its funny, because generationally, people who were taken care of the most, are telling people now, how they shouldn't expect to be taken care of by anyone.
Oh don't worry. those boomers will probably be around to feel it. unsustainable pension costs definitely aren't exclusive to gm.

Quote:
I'd much rather a crown corporation burn my money than a private one, although I'd prefer neither to do so.
Agreed. Should never have been a bailout to begin with. From either country
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 11-26-2018 at 10:09 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #16

This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #17

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
I'm getting the sense that blame is being placed on the employees for the "unsustainable pensions" tanking the companies.

It's a benefit of employment and the the companies agreed to provide it. It's not the employees' fault the company couldn't perform and manage their finances well enough to account for it.

It'd be like the company I work for now going under and then blaming all us employees for taking them up on the RRSP matching program for causing it?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #18

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I'm getting the sense that blame is being placed on the employees for the "unsustainable pensions" tanking the companies.

It's a benefit of employment and the the companies agreed to provide it. It's not the employees' fault the company couldn't perform and manage their finances well enough to account for it.

It'd be like the company I work for now going under and then blaming all us employees for taking them up on the RRSP matching program for causing it?
I agree to a point but I wonder if it has anything to do with automation and improvements in technology making it cheaper and easier to build the cars?

Say they build a more atomized plant in Mexico that can be operated by less skilled labor making less money what's the benefit to paying a high wage with a huge benefit plan to other workers? They still have to compete with the other auto manufactures and provide vehicles at the lowest price possible to get as much market share as they can.

Remember when all the projectionists went on strike for like a year because they wanted to roll back their pay because changes in technology allowed them to have a 16 year old kid with minimal training do the same job? They sat out for a year until eventually they all moved on and were let go and it was all due to changes in technology.

I'm not blaming the employees for getting theirs but at the end of the day the bottom line really is the only thing that matters in business. You can try and be accommodating take less profits to keep your employees happy but eventually there is a tipping point where you go from black to red. The owner of our company really cares about his employees and does everything he can to keep us employed, heck he owns at least 5 different companies with 700+ employees and I get a call from him weekly to see how I'm doing but rest assured if we lose to much money over a long period of time he'll just shut down our office, he's done it in other locations in western Canada and honestly I don't blame him.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 12-05-2018 at 07:49 AM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,184 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Say they build a more atomized plant in Mexico that can be operated by less skilled labor making less money what's the benefit to paying a high wage with a huge benefit plan to other workers?

I'm not blaming the employees for getting theirs but at the end of the day the bottom line really is the only thing that matters in business.
Couple points here....

1) Need to be careful of too much automation in vehicle assembly > there are certain precise movements that really require a human to do. GM tried it in the 80s, Tesla tried it with the Model 3 rampup... both gave up and went back to relying largely on humans

2) The bottom line is what's at stake here - sedan's aren't selling, and plants need to operate at high volume to reduce the fixed cost per unit. GM and Ford also need a shit ton of money to electrify and build mobility solutions for city dwellers.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #20

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
Couple points here....

1) Need to be careful of too much automation in vehicle assembly > there are certain precise movements that really require a human to do. GM tried it in the 80s, Tesla tried it with the Model 3 rampup... both gave up and went back to relying largely on humans

2) The bottom line is what's at stake here - sedan's aren't selling, and plants need to operate at high volume to reduce the fixed cost per unit. GM and Ford also need a shit ton of money to electrify and build mobility solutions for city dwellers.
I agree, looked what happened to Tesla. That said machines and new technology can still simplify some tasks.

Take my job for example, I read blueprints and cost construction projects 25 years ago it was done entirely by hand printing out drawings, taking off quantities with a ruler and using a calculator and notepads to cost them. Now it's all computerized, no money spent on printing drawings for bidding which means less business for the printers. There is still a need for someone knowledgeable with construction practices and blueprints to operate the computer and do the work but it's so much quicker now. The guy who trained me was still old school 5 years ago, with less experience I was at least 50% quicker than he was at doing the same job.

I guarantee there have been similar advances in manufacturing vehicles without making the entire thing automated.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #21
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I don't get that feeling at all.. I don't think anyone is mad at the individual employees receiving pension, they're mad at the use of tax payer dollars to pay out those pensions. GM should have been left to be sold for parts.

If the pensions are in a crown corp, then again, I don't get the sense that anyone is mad at each individual, but they're mad at the unions and bureaucracy that allow for it to happen plus the fact that we seem to be powerless to let something as ridiculous as public pensions continue.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #22

I’m curious what the salaries and bonuses last year of the top 3 earners at GM would equate to in average workers pensions over the next 5 years.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #23

gov'ts and taxpayers just feels shafted...that the inevitable was only delayed

what if you work or supply parts to FCA and Toyota in North America right now? If I was on the assembly line building anything but a xover/truck/suv i sure as shit would be frantically looking for another job.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I don't get that feeling at all.. I don't think anyone is mad at the individual employees receiving pension, they're mad at the use of tax payer dollars to pay out those pensions. GM should have been left to be sold for parts.

If the pensions are in a crown corp, then again, I don't get the sense that anyone is mad at each individual, but they're mad at the unions and bureaucracy that allow for it to happen plus the fact that we seem to be powerless to let something as ridiculous as public pensions continue.
There's a great book on this
https://www.amazon.ca/Crash-Course-A.../dp/0812980751

Chronicling the emergence,from Henry Ford and Dodge brothers, all the way to 2012 after the bailouts.
Outlines some of the horrible mismanagement, and completely insane deals brokered by the UAW. Especially from GM.

There's a really great chapter on Honda in it as well. Some of the practices they took when opening their auto plant in Ohio, the first Japanese plant to build cars in the US.

The COO fervently opposed the union. He knew the divisive nature of them. They ran that plant like a family. Unlike the US makers whose workers were kept completely segregated from the executives, The Honda execs and workers ate in the same lunchrooms, used the same washrooms, and wore the same clothes.
They listened to the workers input on improvements and rewarded it.
That type of relationship was unheard of amongst American makers. And never would have been possible with a union.

Always had love for Honda engineering. But after learning about the history of their company, and the way they ran it, it really renewed my admiration.

But anyways, excellent book. Literally couldn't put it down.
-Norm Franz
Old 12-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Trump seems to fit in this picture as well...hmm....
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote